Tenancy Rights

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any help please.

I had a long standing tenancy agreement through a letting agency and became friends with a landlord who owned several properties which we were offered one and accepted as was larger than the current property that we were in. "The Landlord" was having trouble with the current tenant of that property who was not paying their rent. "The Landlord" knew they were getting the rent from benefits. Over the course of 9 months, not one penny was paid to "The Landlord" so the tenant was asked to leave the property. My family we due to move in to "The Landlords" house but on moving day the tenant decided that they were not going to move and leave them homeless before Christmas. To get the tenant out "The Landlord" had paid (out of their own pocket) a deposit on another property and 3 months’ rent so my family could move in. On moving day, the tenant was not packed and left my family to pack up and clean the house to move our things in.

After accepting the property and paid a months’ rent up front and it was decided by “The Landlord” that we could discuss the deposit at a later date. There was in no rush as "The Landlord" saw that we would be living at the property for years.

Once moved in, my family had signed a AST Contract for 6 months.

Three months after moving in, "The Landlord" was having financial difficulty (through a lavish lifestyle) and put the house on the market but was told not to worry as "The Landlord" wanted a cash buyer but it would be unlikely that this would happen in the current climate. Once the house was on the market there where text messages asking to sort out paying a deposit but nothing was arranged.

July 2010, just 8 months after moving in, "The Landlord" posted a letter through the door telling us due to circumstances “The Landlord” would be moving back into the property and my family had to be out within a month. As you can imagine, a family of 5, only 1 income and 3 children under 8, that is a big request. Not only moving in that time but finding the money for 1st months’ rent and deposits is a difficult thing.

We were out of the property by the end of the month we had been given although we felt this was unreasonable. As we had only a short amount of time to move, my family were unable to afford to pay rent on current property, first months rent on a new property, a deposit and admin fee all in the same month. What family with only 1 normal income can afford this?? My priority was to make sure my children had somewhere to live, so we did not pay the last months rent on “The Landlords” property.

Since moving out of the house, we have been bombarded with text messages, emails and messages through social network site’s demanding money that we had supposedly "promised" to pay back, i.e. the last month’s rent.

Does anyone know where I would stand with regards to paying this back? I am in no position to pay that last month’s rent and feel it is unfair we have to pay this after all the disruption caused for having to move twice in less than a year.

“The Landlords” previous tenant had not paid rent for 9 months (although had the money) and then “The Landlord” had paid for the previous tenant to move in to somewhere else after leaving the property is a dirty way. My family have been told to leave given 1 months’ notice and harassed for only one months rent.

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG

I will move your post to the Residential and Commercial lettings forum

Saintly

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

Quite a long story that ultimatley boils down to 'Do I have to pay the last months rent?'.

In answer to this, Yes you owe the last months rent if you where living at the property for that month and havent paid.

Are you getting all the assistance etc that you are entitled to in terms of benifits etc? Why not visit CAB/post on the benifits forum page to find out?

In terms of the months unpaid rent, your former LL may either let it go or ultimatley, take you to small claims. Your choices are either to ignore and wait for the Letter Before Action/Claims form (which might never come), offer your former LL a reduced lumpsum OR offer your LL a repayment schedule that you can afford.

What a strange post.

Just because the landlord has let a previous tenant get away with rent arrears doesnt mean he has to with you.

The rent is owed, you lived there, yes you need to pay it!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

• 8 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.