Orange unreasonable handling of data charges abroad complaint

m1ik81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently travelled to Jamaica on holiday I wanted to take along my iphone so I could access the rugby scores on bbc sport site while I was away. I had heard that data is not cheap while abroad so I called orange the day before I went and told them what I wanted to check while away and the girl suggested I get a 10mb bundle for £15 and told me to activate data roaming in order to access internet while abroad. while away I left the phone switched on in the room most of the holiday on charge. during the 2weeks I checked the internet a few times for sport scores and weather updates sent home 3 pictures and made 3 calls home. I have no problem accepting the £79 charge for the extra calls but I am disgusted at being charged £1200 (yes £1200) for data in adition to the bundle I purchased befor travelling. Total Bill £1439 for month , normally £65!

I rang Orange today and they have allowed me to purchase a 100mb data bundle retospectively for £140 this reduces my bill by £680 however I am being charged £8 a mb for the remaining data leaving £759 to pay. I believe this to be a disgrace and totally unreasonable. I genuinely do not have a clue how this ammount has run up and find it hard to believe that it is possible to do so!

I would welcome any help and or advice!

Mike.

• 10 months later...

Just received a bill of £385 for ONE DAYS usage from ORANGE. Absolutely disgraceful. The worst thing about this was I actually purchased the data roaming package from them which cost £3 a day, which they are saying opted me out of he new EU limits! Because I used this for one day (while we were trying to find a hospital in France for my wife), they want to charge me £300 extra.

I am so angry. Can anyone provide guidance about how to take this further???

Follow their complaints preocedure here

Personally, if you've already contacted customer service and they've been no help, I'd email the CEO [email protected]

Tell the CEOs deparment the full story and what you want as a solution. Include your account number, phone number and name & address. Tell them what you require as a solution. Keep us informed.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Phoned again (persistance seems to be the key here) got through to a different customer services department, told them the whole story and they agreed to let me buy a bundle retrospectively (150MB), shaving £280 off.

Worth asking then.

Still going to leave them though as this thoroughly annoyed me. £3 a MB. Push off.

£920 off what they originally stated... bit of a sigh of relief there, but £280 is still a hefty phone bill.

Congratulations on what you've got from them, but I'm in 100% agreement, move on and hit them where it hurts (the wallet)

Remind them, when mugging someone, hit them too hard and they'll take steps to avoid you, and you can only mug them that once. If they'd been a bit more gentle they could mug you again and again :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Locutus,

Nick received a reduction of £280 on a total bill of £385 leaving a more palatable (but still nasty) bill of £105 for the pleasure of accessing data roaming for just one day!

The OP appears to have created their bill by activating data roaming as advised by customer service advisor but leaving it active for the duration of their Caribbean holiday whilst also leaving the phone on which would have allowed apps to update regularly throughout the holiday and therefore taking him/her beyond the limit of the bundle purchased.

Feebee_71