Strange letters from EquiDebt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In March of this year I got a letter from EquiDebt, it was in relation to an account with Abby. I have never had an account with Abby. I live in a new build property and am the first and only person to have lived here, although there used to be a similar address with a different postcode, that was pulled down last century, nearby. The letter used a form of my name that I have never been known by or used, but it is the name used by my 10 year old nephew who lives in singapore. I wrote to them saying I had never used abby or that form of my name.

I heard nothing more from them untill recently. When I recieved a letter, this time addressed to me, but in relation to a different different account. This time the account is with Santander. I have never had an account with Santander either, although I did stop there for a couple of hours while on a mini-cruise years ago. I think I heard somewhere that Abby had been taken over by a Spanish bank, but the account and reference numbers are different. They say one of their debt collectors will be contacting me at home or my place of work to arrange payment in full!

Do EquiDebt buy debts or are they like Moorcroft and are just used to frighten people? I think I read somewhere that Santander where taking over loads of banks and offloading credit cards to DCAs, but as I said the account and reference numbers bare no relation to any account I have even with others banks, and I am making payments on all my Credit Cards.

Are they just fishing, or is there anything more sinister I should be worried about? I don't really want any debt collectors coming to my house, and I don't fancy them contacting the places I used to work at in the early 90s, as don't want things from back then stired up again.

Cheers

Edited by count orlok

Hi count

Send them the following letter:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

As they have threaten to contact you at work, which is against OFT Guidelines, state that you will be reporting them to the OFT and Trading Standards.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?416-The-OFT-Debt-collection-guidance

Thanks for that.

Letter and e-mail sent.

Would EquiDept be Santander's agent, as they claim to have been instructed by them to collect, or is it more likely that they have bought the aleged debt, and are just "name dropping" to add importance to their demand?

Edited by count orlok
spelling

EquiDebt have replied saying it relates to a cahoot credit card, but I still don't recognise the account number. They have also set up an "payment plan" for more than my total household income. Besides I have already got one of those for all my creditors, which I pay without fail.

They still need to prove it's your cahoot account, so no doubt they'll be able to send you a copy of the agreement with your signature on, a copy of the default notice and a copy of the notice of assignment.

They can set up as many payment plans as they like, until they prove the debt is yours, you're under no obligation to pay them anything.

I would write back and say you have no knowledge of this alleged account so can they please supply all the documents in my first sentence.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

How nice of them to set up a payment plan without first checking that debt is your or checking that you have the werewithall to pay anything anyway.

I would send a nice letter back along the lines of

Dear Fool (insert the idiots name)

Thank you for clarifying that this alledged debt is indeed mine, maybe you would be so kind as to offer some proof of this other than a letter stating it is.

Also what gives you the right to suggest a payment plan for this alledged debt without first proving it is mine (which by the way I totally refute this claim) without knowing my situation.

I now require by return either the:

a. the agreement; a notice of assignment, and a default notice (all of course with my details on them) and the terms and conditions issued at the time this alledged agrement was signed.

b. Your companies complaints procedure.

or a letter stating that you have made a grievious error and would like to make a grovelling apology for the stress you have so far caused.

You have 14 days if after this time I have recieved none of the above I will be reporting you to the relevant authorites

Unless it has been set up without my knowledge, I do not or have I ever had a cahoot credit card with the number they quoted. So I don't see how they can have an agreement for this account. I do have credit cards with different numbers, but they are all being paid, albeit not all to the OCs.

Edited by count orlok

I'm getting exactly the same thing Count. The letter threatening to visit me at work, the payment plan, plus numerous calls, often with a recorded message. I did snap with one of the monkeys today & told him they were phising, the debt was not mine & to stop calling. I suppose I'll need to progress to a prove it letter & thence a CCA request, but I shouldn't have to go to this expense & inconvenience of all of this. They are ****.

if it is a phising trip then ignore the fools and inform the OFT, dont waste money and time on them, or alternatively send em a bill in your next letter for time spent on this at say £15 an hour and then add on all the costs of paper, envelopes and stamps

Trouble is, Santander have bought up so many banks and credit cards I could have one of their's, but the thing is I am paying on all my cards and definatly do not have one with the number they quote.

Oh yea, I don't think they have my phone number, they haven't phoned while I've been around, though I do have a couple of missed calls with unknown numbers, which i don't quite understand as I have witheld numbers bared.

Edited by count orlok