mrs_b2010

By Law, do I have to supply Bailiffs with my new address?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3577 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Here is the short of the story - we got into difficulty paying council tax for one property, we had to move as the landlord was selling. We contacted the council and told them where we had moved. They sent us a bill stating what we owed. We disputed what we owed as we had moved out and they had charged us 6months council tax when we weren't living there. We sent them proof. Then it was sent to Bristow and Sutor, the council washed their hands of us and we have been paying Bristow and Sutor ever since. Because we were paying an extortionate rate to B+S we fell behind and got into diffilculty with the council tax for the new place.

Again, the council didn't want to know, and we ended up agreeing a payment plan with B+S. We have been paying both, and moved house in June and didn't tell them. We haven't paid either since Sept because of various issues including a death, car breaking down etc. They have now traced and contacted my parents to get us to start payments again.

Do we, by LAW have to give them an address? I don't want them knowing our new address as they made me ill from stress last time, but I don't want them harrassing my parents. We have full intention of paying them again from the end of this month, we just don't want them to know where we live.

Please help, and let me know what my LEGAL RIGHTS are, any suggestions on what to do are appreciated!

By Law, do I have to supply Bailiffs with my new address?

No.

The law says the council must send you a "final notice" or a "reminder" by post to your current address before making an application to a magistrate for a Liability order against you. As there is compelling evidence the council failed to do this, you can ask the council to roll the case back to pre-liability order stage and cease enforcement action immediately.

The law is Section 33(3) and 34(1) of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/613/regulation/33/made

Contact the council and ask them to comply with Regulation 33(3) and 34(1), but if they are unwilling to do so, then you have a right to ask the Local Government Ombudsman to intervene. You can even ask for compensation, the award of this type of non-compliance by a council is typically about £100 per instance. Awards can be more if you have already received a bailiff or paid a sum of money to one.

Professional property investor and conveyancer

We have had all of those, we werent aware of our rights when this started.

They have contacted my parents, I dont live there and havent since I was 17. Am i legally bound to supply them with my new address when I contact them to restart payments? Or can I refuse to give my details?

If the notice was sent you your parents address while you are not living there, then you can rely on Section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 to verify the notice or reminder was not properly effected.

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?&parentActiveTextDocId=1838152&ActiveTextDocId=1838163

Professional property investor and conveyancer

In my opinion you need to take this right back to the start of your problem doing this would mean you would have to give the council your address

you are obviously paying approx 6 month's council tax arrears that you should not be paying

have the bailiffs ever levied on your goods

do you know how much each liability order was for

do you know how much you have paid the bailiffs

do you know much the bailiffs have charged in fees