Greenwoods "Fresh Start" Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Received a letter today from Greenwoods stating that they are taking over an old debt from Provident. This debt is 4 years old now and although this isn't an excuse for non payment, the debt was taken out at the time for my sister who never paid it back. Silly, because it was in my name due to her already owing them money.

However, I have moved address twice since the loan was taken out, and I have not had any contact with Provident since 2006. I have received a 'fresh start' letter from Provident at this address last year, to which I ignored. Now Greenwoods are stating that 'an agent will call round to discuss' making a fresh start and thus signing a new agreement. Can they do this if they have no absolute proof I am the debtor, bearing in mind I've not once contacted them?

Thanks

Hi manc

Because the debt was taken out in your name, it's your debt. If the debt collectors calls don't speak to them, you want all communication in writing. Don't sign anything. You could send the following letter and see what they say:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members.

Later if they prove that it's your debt, you can send a CCA Request, also claim back all Penalty charges on the account.

Hi all,

Received a letter today from Greenwoods stating that they are taking over an old debt from Provident. This debt is 4 years old now and although this isn't an excuse for non payment, the debt was taken out at the time for my sister who never paid it back. Silly, because it was in my name due to her already owing them money.

However, I have moved address twice since the loan was taken out, and I have not had any contact with Provident since 2006. I have received a 'fresh start' letter from Provident at this address last year, to which I ignored. Now Greenwoods are stating that 'an agent will call round to discuss' making a fresh start and thus signing a new agreement. Can they do this if they have no absolute proof I am the debtor, bearing in mind I've not once contacted them?

Thanks

Hi md

I've highlighted two parts from your post as they seem to contradict each other ???

If as you say the loan was taken out in your name then they are contacting the aleged debtor and this leads to the second comment for again if your name is on the contract you have "contacted" them even though it may not actually been you that filled in the application (As in an on line application form)

You could start with the standard prove it letter but I would not even consider a "Fresh Start" agreement

More advise will follow I'm sure

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Hi Revenant, sorry I didn't make myself more clear. It was myself who took out the loan, and it was my signature on the contract. I took it out for my sister who was in dire straits at the time (fell for her sob story).

Ultimately, my sister fell back on payments and now the company were trying to contact me for full payment. I've not spoken to them since '06, and have been at this current address since '08. I've never acknowledged the debt, nor responded to the one letter I had from them last year.

So, with that I was under the impression that they don't know for certain I'm at this address as I've never confirmed it myself. Is this a case of them sending the letter in the hope I bite? And are they allowed by law to come round to this property without any prior agreement?

Hi Revenant, sorry I didn't make myself more clear. It was myself who took out the loan, and it was my signature on the contract. I took it out for my sister who was in dire straits at the time (fell for her sob story).

Ultimately, my sister fell back on payments and now the company were trying to contact me for full payment. I've not spoken to them since '06, and have been at this current address since '08. I've never acknowledged the debt, nor responded to the one letter I had from them last year.

So, with that I was under the impression that they don't know for certain I'm at this address as I've never confirmed it myself. Is this a case of them sending the letter in the hope I bite? And are they allowed by law to come round to this property without any prior agreement?

You're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea

The loan and subsequent debt is yours as you signed the contract (Sorry you got caught out)

You could sit tight and see what happens as in theory they shouldn't call without an appointment being made, if anyone does call you don't have to open your door

Ignoring them would get them to show what if any more info they have but as you say they could be trying it on however to be honest it sounds as if they've found you via another link some where

R

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

The first letter appeared shortly after I looked at my Equifax credit report, so I assume this was the method to which they 'found me'. The first initial letter I got from provident also offered this 'fresh start' last year, and noted that an agent would call round. No one did. I believe that provident/greenwoods are the same company, so maybe it's a case of they're going through outstanding debts in the office and trying again for some sort of response.

My main concern is that someone will actually turn up. I currently live with my fiancee and her parents at their home, and although they are aware of this and are fine with it, I still wouldn't like anyone to come round for obvious reasons.

I don't want to, but I'm thinking of sitting this one out until it's statute barred as I'm a fulltime uni student and really cannot afford to pay back a loan which should've been paid back by the person who had the money.

I will point out at this point that my sister and I haven't spoken since she refused to pay this in '06!

Not spoken to mine in over 12 for something similar

According to the small print at the bottom of the Greenwood web page they are indeed Provident in a different coat . .

http://www.greenwoodpersonalcredit.com/

In the worse case scenario and they do call who ever opens the door just tells them to go away and I agree re Equifax

The underlying thing is it's up to them to prove you owe the money not the other way round so you could send an improvised prove it letter that also makes it clear that personal callers will not be accepted

R

You're welcome md

I'm sure that you'll get some more info later from those with experience of Provident

R