PLease help- not sure how best to deal with these bailiffs (council PCN)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi- Firstly apologies for the new thread, I have read lots of previous ones which have been very helpful and insightful, yet Im still struggling with how to deal with my bailiff.

I owed the council £110 for a PCN, this I forgot to pay as my life was thrown up in the air.

The next thing I heard after the council saying I had to pay up, was 2 days ago when I got a letter from the bailiff, hand delivered, "pay £308 within 48 hours or removal action will ensue, incurring further feees." Yesterday a letter demanding £260 within 24 hours or removal action.

I tried calling him, but got no answer. Spoke to him this morn he thinks he got the letters wrong way round but will 'honour' the amount of £260 for the next 24 hours. I tell him he can have the £110 he believes I owe, but no more.

The verbal breakdown of fees were £80 ticket, £30 court fee, and £90 attendance fee. As you can see doesnt add up.

I don't own a car, so no worries about where its parked.

So my question is, how should I deal with him?

Thankyou in advance, I have tried to figure this out for myself the past two days but I'm not well and finding it very hard.

Edited by bsam86

Letter received on the 26th, 2 days ago (yesterdays is identical but lower amount of £260 :S):

Balance due £310 ( plus costs TBA)

The council has instructed me to collect the above warrant and any enforcement costs incurred. Despite previous requests the debt remains outstanding.

Jacobs have instructed me, as Bailiff in Charge, to arrange for the removal and sale of your goods. I will re-attend your premises and may remove goods even in your absence.

To stop removal action you must call 0845..........

PAYMENT IN FULL WITHIN 48 HOURS

Regards

Edit: Thankyou hallowitch (cross-posted)

Edited by bsam86

they are supposed to send you a letter telling you the PCN has been passed to them (i think this letter gives you 7 days to pay )and if you don't pay them they will send out bailiffs incurring more costs

they can charge £11/odds for this letter + vat

so the letter should tell you pay

PCN £xxxxxxx

letter fee +vat

Keep the letters you have and the envelopes send Jacobs (GGGRRRRR) a letter (recorded delivery )asking for a breakdown of charges to include the day/date/time and the name of the bailiff that attended when a fee was charged

Ask your council when the PCN was sent to Jacobs

personally I'm at the stage where i think everyone who has bailiffs sent from the council (PCN or council tax ) should send a freedom of information request for the service level agreement and also a Subject access request

Thanks again

I don't have a letter that gives me 7 days.

I did tell the bailiff that I would post a request for a breakdown of fees to them 1st class recorded today, then get back to him when I had examined their reply, as the fees seemed to be pulled out of the air. He said they'd be back tomorrow and there'd be more fees to pay whatever I did.

If I post a request to Jacobs for a breakdown of the fees, can they add more while I wait for their reply?

If I pay the council online do I have any legal obligation to the bailiffs?

Ideally I would love to pay the council online then tell the bailiffs to sod off. Should I? :)

Thankyou for your time and replies

If I post a request to Jacobs for a breakdown of the fees, can they add more while I wait for their reply?

I wouldnt waste the price of the stamp, and all you get is verbiage about "reasonable costs", its all nonsence. The law prescribes the bailiffs fees for collecting unpaid parking tickets. Schedule 1 et-al of the Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts (Certificated Bailiffs) Regulations 1993 (Amended 2003).

Letter Fee £11.20 (but if letter arrives after first visit is made then its £0.00)

Levying Distress - 28% of the amount you are fined.

Professional property investor and conveyancer

Thanks fork-it, would you recommend phoning them and insisting they take payment of £110 + fee for the letter I dont seem to have received? Or pay the ticket online then ignore them, or maybe something else...

My 'deadline' is 5pm :D

Never telephone a bailiff. The correct fee is £11.20 for a letter and 28% of the amount you are fined.

Your 5pm deadline will probably pass without further ado.

Professional property investor and conveyancer