Jump to content

Not sure which way to go..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


I've been using the information here to help me make a start on my debts and its been hugely helpful, so thank you.

I have debts of £21000, mainly credit cards, a personal loan and one HP agreement. I have been just managing over the past few months but my work pattern will be changing in the new year and i will be approx £200 worse off. I contacted CCCS and they have made up a DMP for me; however, as I live in Scotland, I have been looking into a Debt Arrangement Scheme, which, if I understand it, can get interest and charges frozen.

So now I am unsure about what to do - the CAB are sending me a pack out to start the process of applying for a DAS, but I dont have it yet. I am desparate to get something in place but dont want to make the wrong decision - DMP or DAS.

The info I got from CCCS did not specify individual debts - what concerns me most is the HP agreement I have for my car. I'm very rural and need my car to get to work as there is no public transport available early enough to get me to work. I have worked out that I have paid half of the total amount owed, so am I right in thinking that I will be able to keep the car?


There are probably many more questions i have but i'll start with that!

Thanks for any help or information anyone can give me.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Wee update,

Spoke to CCCS yesterday, who, a) claimed that a DMP was the same as a DAS, b) when I asked to speak to someone else, this one chap told me he had never heard of a DAS but would put me through to the Scottish section. I waited on hold for over an hour but had to hang up as I needed to get to work!

I'm really now very unsure about going with CCCS as no-one seemed to know anything about DAS.

Have managed to open another current account and have stopped some DD's with my essential ones being transferred over with the new banks' switching service.

I have also asked for copies of my CCA's from two catalogue companies as I'm positive I have not signed anything. The money advice pack arrived from the CAB today so have filled that out - can anyone help me with the debts for the catalogues - should I put them into the statement from the CAB or hold back to see what happens with the CCA request. I'm sure I have never signed anything with either companies but dont want to delay the CAB or mislead them - should I even tell the CAB about them?


Any response would be helpful please.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi L


I would put in them in the CAB statement. Part of the CAB process is to validate and challenge the amount of the debt so you can note that your are currently challenging these.


If you're going down a DMP route though, there is merit in including everything because it keeps things tidy and will give you a good defence if anyone tries to take you to court.


Notwithstanding the above, you should of course reclaim PPI and unlawful charges first.


Best wishes



Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply, thought no-one was going to!!

I see what you are saying and you are probably right.

I have never paid any PPI on anything, I have always declined it. Also, I previously tried to claim back bank charges, got as far as lodging a complaint with the FOS who then basically dumped it due to the High Court ruling, so that was the end of that.

I wanted to ask, at the moment I have been sort of raiding my current account and taking out cash to put away for emergencies. I know this is probably not advised but I have left enough money for my essential DD's to be paid, have basically just taken what would have been left plus the amounts of the DD's I have stopped. I have also posted off letters to everyone, asking them to take noaction for 28 days as I am getting debt advice etc.

Is this ok - am very very scared now that I will start getting letters and phone calls from creditors and debt collectors!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi L


I started from a similar situation a few months ago and feel your pain.


What you do with your money in your bank account is your business so I would not worry about that.


You can still seek a refund of charges on credit cards (see other threads).


The 28 day letter will result in them asking for I&E of various levels of intrusion and details of your DMP through CCCS or CAB. Things will most likely then be quiet for a while.


You must challenge anything you want to before entering into the DMP because it will be difficult to unpick later, e.g. if your are challenging the enforceability of CCA agreements or penalty charges/


You can do the DMP yourself. The disadvantage is hassle. The advantage is that you retain control and can deal more creatively with those who refuse to freeze interest and cease penalty charges.


I know nothing about Scottish law so you should double check everything before embarking on your plan of campaign.


Best wishes



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...