Tax Credit error - my fault help please

blowing bubbles
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:oops:I recently received a letter from HMRC asking for PAYE details. They still had employer details from 7 years ago. Last year I started a new job working 23hrs a week, in May 2008 this changed to 37.5. I did inform Tax Credits helpline and thought no more of it. I was being paid £56 per week in Child tax Credits. It now appears that on my last award notice it stated 23hrs and I did not notice this, to be honest I did not even know details of hours are on the Notice. I also, even more stupdily put my take home pay for the year instead of the amount before deductions. No excuses but I have MS and am prone to making stupid errors at home and at work. What will happen now, I think I have be paid £2000 too much and I am really scared. Please help I don't want my illness to flare up through stress again. I feel really stupid for making these error. Can someone advise me please on what is likely to happen now.

Edited by blowing bubbles

I am very worried they will try to prosecute me over this.

I don't think you have to worry about prosecution. Where tax credit fraud is concerned their policy was described to me was "intervention" which equates to "we find a false claim , we close it down, we do nothing further". However I would expect a major change of direction shortly.

Just report your error & take it from there.

Tax Credit system very rarely prosecute, but they can fine you £300, but then they will allow you to pay it back at a reasonable rate.

The idea of the difference between TC and benefits is to get people working and off benefits, that's why they have different sanctions policies - and that TC annualise payments where benefits are usually weekly / fortnightly / 4 weekly calculations.

Panic ye not, and send the right info in - but send it recorded delivery & don't lose the record!!

Fingers crossed for you. At least you've done the hard part, sending off the letter and info.

Now stop worrying please, you've done all you can. And please let us know the outcome. I would like to know and it could help someone else later.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Honeybee, thanks. I know i am probably worrying way too much, i think its because i feel so stupid to have got into this mess. Of course I will post any response or resolution. I have noticed that people get advice but never post how it worked out in the end. Quite frustrating when you are looking for yourself. Thanks again

Hi Honeybee, thanks. I know i am probably worrying way too much, I think its because i feel so stupid to have got into this mess. Of course I will post any response or resolution. I have noticed that people get advice but never post how it worked out in the end. Quite frustrating when you are looking for yourself. Thanks again

You're entirely welcome. In my limited experience, it's the honest people who worry the most. Please try to relax. You deserve to sleep, so please, I want you to promise your auntie honeybee......

Take care. HB x

Edited by honeybee13
typo.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just posting an update. Received 2 Awards from HMRC. 2009/2010 Income fine but still state 23hrs - this changed half way through that year. 2010/2011 changed hours to 37 but have not amended income. The awards are dated 5th November which would have been a few days after they received the Form back. My P60 etc and letter explaining my error was received by them on 9th so expecting another letter/award from them shortly. Will update again. Still worrying they may take this further but would have thought they would have done that by now.

• 3 months later...

Hi, 4 months on and I have now been sent a letter stating they are carrying out a Compliance Check. Can anyone advise on this please? The letter is of an accusing nature and makes no reference that I have already informed them of my error in earnings. Getting worried.

Hi, 4 months on and I have now been sent a letter stating they are carrying out a Compliance Check. Can anyone advise on this please? The letter is of an accusing nature and makes no reference that I have already informed them of my error in earnings. Getting worried.

Compliance is just to get the exact facts of all your details. Baffles me why it takes so long for them to get round to it after a problem has arrisen though, but they wouldn't want to make it easier for people would they in an already complex system.

I too didn't know they stated hours on the tax credit forms to be honest.

I think we are all putting too much trust in the system that is suppose to help us & then taking the flack when they drag their heels sorting it out.

You'll be alright with tax credits though, they pretty much encourage people to con them & look at it as a loan, because nothing will happen, you just have to pay it back. Like a loan. Simples.

Someone apparently was even told on here recently by tax credits not to worry, it's understandable people pull a fast one what with the recession :| You'll be fine, no prosecution for you dont worry x

Thanks Jadeybags, I have today sent them a letter enclosing all the documents I have previously sent including proof of delivery for them. Again these have been sent recorded delivery. I have told them that as I have already ifnormed them of my error and sent all income details to them P60, wage slip etc I did not appreciate receiving a letter of this nature which I felt was more accusing than confirming what I had already told them. I had until 18th march to disagree with the amount stated, obviously I do not but I felt I had to say something to them! Guess I will wait and see what they come back with. I will keep the post going.

Yes keep the post going. You have done all youcan so far. It's the waiting isn't it. And I agree about the letters they send. Very threatening, & unless people actually seek help, they can end up in more trouble than they actually should be x