• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

High court Bailif unreasonable fee's charged- Please advise

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am new here so bear with me

I had a dispute with a supplier which was paid but the Bailiff has started charging high fee's onto the order.

The initial invoice was settled but they are trying to claim the following fee's on an initial debt of £1600.00

Judgement costs: 187.00

Execution costs : 101.75

interest to date 50.50

The above I am fine with but the next charge is a concern :

Enforcement fee's 500.14 which today has risen to 912.99 !

How can a Bailiff justify these charges ? The appear to be way over the top.

Never dealt with a Bailiff before so any help would be gratefully received.

I have contacted the company over 20 times by phone - they never answer their phone and a message asks you to hang up after 2 mins on hold !

The ignore email's and ignore written letters.

Can anyone suggest what to do to dispute the fee's

I understand that people have to earn a living but these charges are keeping the debt going when the original account was settled.

Has anyone else experienced these type of charges ?

Its basically doubled the debt and for an initial 1600 pounds this seems crazy !

Is this legal (the additional charges) ?

Thanks for any advise on this matter.

Dave

Is this a bailiff or a High Court Enforcement Officer?

If this is a CCJ then the bailiffs fee is £45.00. that is prescrtibed by law namely the County Court Fees Order(Amended 1994) 1982

If its an HCEO then its a completely different set of rules. First, have a look at the court documents. It is common practice for HCEOs to exaggerate how much fees the law says you must pay, so ask for a copy of the Order for Costs - otherwise see: Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=1663425&activetextdocid=1663463

Let me know if you need an explanation on how the fee schedules in the the High Court Enforcement Officers Regulations 2004 works

Professional property investor and conveyancer

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes it is a High Court Enforcement officer - is it ok to name the company by the way ? if ok I will post the name up.

I don't know how the fee structure works or how to protect myself from future visits . At the moment the initiall invoice has been paid and the agreed costs but not the bailiff fee's which is why they are coming back.

I would like to know the fee schedules so if you can post them up that would be great !

Also can they legally get away with such high fee's and with the above figures what should the costs of the Bailiff's actually be ?

I am happy to pay for costs but these seem so high its almost immoral which is why I am disputing them.

Thanks for the info in advance .

The law setting the fees chargeable by a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) for collecting unpaid debts is Schedule 3 of Regulation 13 of The High Court Enforcement Officers Regulations 2004 and provides 2.5% of the amount collected plus a fixed £2.50 on top.

Its common practice for HCEOs to charge additional fees according to a list and pretend the debtor is liable to pay them. This is not true and you simply dont have the pay them at all.

There is the old HCEO's chestnut of adding fees described as "misc" or "miscellaneous". He is trying to use Section 12 of Schedule 3 of the regulations which actually reads:

"For any matter not otherwise provided for, such sum as a Master, district judge or costs judge may allow upon application."

This is essentially a blank cheque clause because it enables bailiffs to load his fees ad-infinitum then pretend an application has already been made to a Master or a district judge who has allowed the costs. HCEOs tend to do this retrospectively by charging as much as they think they can get away with then leave it up to you to challenge it afterwards, which is almost impossible to reclaim once you have paid it.

In short, dispute it, dispute everything. Do not pay any fees above 2.5% it and its a civil dispute between you and the HCEO. Additionally, you do not have to let them into your property sop keep the chain on the door at all times and you are not obligated to speak with him or even do business with him. You cannot be "arrested" for not conceeding to an HCEO's demand: Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=1663425&activetextdocid=1663463

Thanks Fork-it for all your help.

We have applied to the court for the cost order and are waiting for a repsonse.

In the meantime can the bailiffs force a window open if we are away from the property ?

We live in a secure property but concerned that they will use underhand tactics now.

I have also paid all the initial costs including the original court costs but NOT the bailiff fee's.

I have emailed a dispute to the Bailiffs but as yet no reply yet again.

If they come knocking shall I hand them a copy of the complaint which we emailed to their offices ?

Will this help ?

What can we do to put a final stop on this problem ?

Is it a case of taking the dispute to court or a couple of sharply written letters to their offices ?

The thought of them turning up with no notice is a constant concern and it would be great to stop them harassing us for fee's they cannot charge.

Look forward to your reply Fork-it and thank you for all your help .

Thanks Fork-it for all your help.

We have applied to the court for the cost order and are waiting for a repsonse.

In the meantime can the bailiffs force a window open if we are away from the property ?

No.

Breaking & entering is not allowed: Section 1 of the Criminal Damage Act 1971 and its an offence for a locksmith to use his tools to interfere with the locks without permission: Section 25 of the Theft Act 1968 http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?activeTextDocId=1204238

We live in a secure property but concerned that they will use underhand tactics now.

I have also paid all the initial costs including the original court costs but NOT the bailiff fee's.

I dont see a problem with that, but the bailiff does has a right to start a civil claim against you for his fees provided he can prove he had actually done the work giving rise to thise fees: More: (see under Crime Fraud): http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200607/ldhansrd/text/70420w0001.htm Also, bailiffs cannot lawfully levy just to recover his fees:

This is unverified and not on BAILII, but see: JBW Enforcement Ltd v City of Westminster, the Judge went further by saying that if payment is "tendered before seizure" that the bailiff company CANNOT issue civil proceedings against the debtor.

Khazanchi & Anor v Faircharm Investments Ltd & Ors [1998] EWCA Civ 471 : On 17 March 1998 Lord Justice Morritt in the High Court ruled that bailiffs having a Walking Possessions Agreement cannot remove anything whilst the debtor is absent unless it is pre-arranged by appointment and with an Order signed by a Judge. The Judge also said in his conclusion, "However it should be noted that in cases such as these there may be a sanction pursuant to Section 1 of the Criminal Damage Act l971. In other cases the provisions of Section 6 of the Criminal Law Act may apply also".

http://vlex.co.uk/vid/ur-judge-cox-52584219

I have emailed a dispute to the Bailiffs but as yet no reply yet again.

You probably wont get one. You dont need to take any further action.

If they come knocking shall I hand them a copy of the complaint which we emailed to their offices ?

No, just keep the door locked shut and ask them to leave quietly. The bailiff will eventually get over it and move on.

I have just spoken with the county court and they have stated that an order for costs was not applied for or issued !

So what does that actually mean ?

Do I just pay the bailiffs the 2.5% and inform them that that is all they will get ?

Thanks for all the help.

I have just spoken with the county court and they have stated that an order for costs was not applied for or issued !

So what does that actually mean ?

It means there is no order for costs made against you.

If a bailiff says he has while there isnt, then he commits an offence under Section 40(1)(6) of the Administration of Justice Act 1971 and you have a right to make a complaint to police giving the bailiffs document in evidence. http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=1663425&activetextdocid=1663463

Do I just pay the bailiffs the 2.5% and inform them that that is all they will get ?

Yes, unless you are able to pay the creditor direct without the fee.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but as the court states there was no application for costs how can the Bailiffs legally justify a fee for 'enforcement' of £900 on an initial £1,600 invoice?

Can we actually now complain about this conduct and why are these tactics not outlawed ?

How many other people are distressed with these bullyboy tactics ?

I cannot understand how these people get away with this ?

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but as the court states there was no application for costs how can the Bailiffs legally justify a fee for 'enforcement' of £900 on an initial £1,600 invoice?

Unless the bailiff can show he has spent £900 on enforcing the payment of your debt, (e.g. by hiring a tow truck and lifing a car of yours and transporting it to an auction house) he is making a false representaion to obtain £900 from you. He hopes you are not informed of the law and that you will pay just to get him off your back.

Can we actually now complain about this conduct and why are these tactics not outlawed ?

It is illegal, but police dont like arresting bailiffs for fee fraud so they like to call it a civil matter. This very subject was raised in the House of Lords and the government confirmed that bailiff crime is NOT a civil matter and you DO have a right to make a complaint to police: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200607/ldhansrd/text/70420w0001.htm see under Crime Fraud

How many other people are distressed with these bullyboy tactics ?

Probably thousands, many are silent, some are lucky and get all their money back. Its akin to the old bank charges reclaims revolution we saw back in 2006, there are plenty of cases where bailiffs fees can be recovered, its just that they either, dont know where to start, or are happy to let them get away with it.

I cannot understand how these people get away with this ?

Because the police to intentionally disregard reports of bailiff crime and dismiss them as a civil matter - even if that in itself commits an offence of Perverting the Course of Justice: Section 5 of the Criminal Law Act 1967 http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?activeTextDocId=1186125 and they too, hope you will go away.

Its interesting in one way to experience this situation.

Since we have filed a concern about the Bailiffs conduct they have gone quiet.

We have contacted the court and this was the response today...

'The costs would have been included as per the Judgment in Default issued on ' x 'June 2010. However, as there has been a Writ issued on this case then further costs would have been added for this enforcement method being used.'

so far to confirm we have paid all outstanding balance including the official court costs but are refusing to pay the bailiff fee's until we receive in writing an explanation.

Even the court staff admit the bailiff fee's are ridiculous !

So as it stands the case has been paid in full but no payment to bailiffs fee's.

Can they still come to the property and remove the car if its on the drive / road ?

Or do we have to come to an agreement in writing with the bailiffs for their fee's ?

Thanks for all the advice.

Dave

'The costs would have been included as per the Judgment in Default issued on ' x 'June 2010. However, as there has been a Writ issued on this case then further costs would have been added for this enforcement method being used.'

If HCEO then its 2.5% of the debt plus £2.50 fixed fee. No levies ort goods moved then all other fees £0.00. There are no statutory 'admin' fees for HCEO's/

Even the court staff admit the bailiff fee's are ridiculous !

Court staff are not supposed to comment, so the fees must have been very high to attain a comment like that.

So as it stands the case has been paid in full but no payment to bailiffs fee's.

Case is closed and settled.

Can they still come to the property and remove the car if its on the drive / road ?

No. there is no debt payable.

Or do we have to come to an agreement in writing with the bailiffs for their fee's ?

Its now a civil dispute between you and the bailiff.

We have just been informed by the courts that the Bailiff (Marston) are private Bailiffs and not Court Bailiffs - What does this mean ? And what rights do they have that are different to Court Bailiffs ?

Many Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Marstons are stating that a law dated 2004 justifies their charges !

They actually think they can get away with these ridiculous charges.

What is this 2004 they are using as I am aware only a fee of 2.5% can be levied and not 40% plus ..

What do you guys think about this ?

Cheers !

Update

Marstons are stating that a law dated 2004 justifies their charges !

They actually think they can get away with these ridiculous charges.

What is this 2004 they are using as I am aware only a fee of 2.5% can be levied and not 40% plus ..

What do you guys think about this ?

Cheers !

What you need from Marstons is a complete breakdown of the charges they have applied and at what stage each was done. If you were attended as an individual rather than a Ltd Company then a simple SAR should reveal all this. The majority of the fees you will find will come under the Misc category, some are evn applied before the Officer even leaves the office. If you do send a SAR then make sure you include a line that states the £10 fee is not to be used for any other purpose - many have a habit of overlooking this. When posting make sure you send by a trackable means - Signed For - look up any PO Box No. for a proper address.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]