Large tax credit payment & knock on effect on benefits question

Surfer01

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the period April 2008 to March 2009 I was made redundant in November 2008. My spouse continued to work full time. I then claimed JSA until May 2009.

In the period April 2009 to March 2010 I claimed JSA for about a month, then nothing and no other benefits except housing & CT. I was employed for 3 months just above the minimum wage from July to October 2009. I received tax credits while employed. I then went on JSA then ESA. From ESA I moved onto Pension credit in May 2010 due to my disability causing me mobility problems. My wife continued to work full time for that period.

For the period April 2010 to March 2011 our earnings would be significantly lower as I am on Pension credit and my spouse was on Statutory Sick Pay from April until October and has moved onto ESA. It is unknown at this point if she will be able to return to work due to her disability

Today we have received a letter concerning tax credits stating that I was owed £892 in tax credits for the period 24/06/2009 until 05/04/2010. We never applied for tax credits as we thought we were not entitled to any and even if we were, all they do is take it off the housing, CT and pension credit anyway so it seems pointless getting it and then giving it back.

Unfortunately I had great difficulty in getting them to understand that we did not want it as it would mess up our finances especially as it would have a knock on effect on other benefits. One would not know what your income would be for the next several weeks etc. Has any one come across this type of situation and how can you resolve. We don’t want to fall foul of any regulations or laws concerning benefits due to all the hassles associated with it.

We went through this palaver last year due to an incorrect calculation and it was due to advice on this site especially Erika that we were not penalised. We don’t want money and then have to pay it back again. What should we do?