Jump to content
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3570 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

A quick question:


Naively, and probably a little desperately - I've placed a holding deposit down on a flat that I like (with a month remaining until my move date). At the agency, while upset about it, they said this landlord only does 6 month contacts initially. Along with this, the agency fee was £120 per person (£240 for us as a couple) + 1 weeks went to put a hold down. I agreed, and in my offer put down £190 and asked for a new couch as the one in there was the current tenants.


Naturally, the landlord has agreed to this and I received the contract via email yesterday for me to sign and bring in. My error: I hadn't seen it until now and I've already put the hold down.


The contract states:

(12.4) In the event of the Tenancy being renewed for a further period there will be a charge payable by the tenant(s) to X X XLtd of £120.00 inc V.A.T. per property as a contribution towards the costs of the preparation of all necessary paperwork.

(12.5) The Landlord states that there will be a rent increase of 5% pa when either a new or periodic tenancy is created.



My question: now that I have a holding deposit down, do I have any room to change this clause? I really don't want these two provisions in a contract - much more importantly I don't want to have to increase my rent by £10 a week in six months without any room to negotiate!


Can I ask that this be taken out before I sign? If they say no, as i've put a hold down and the holding paper says if I back out for any reason I lose the £430 I put down.


If I sign as is, in six months am I still able to negotiate to change the lease to 12 months + no rent in crease? Or am I screwed and will experience a rental increase automatically and another six month contract or be forced to move?


Any help would be appreciated - I need to call the agent this afternoon.

Edited by kais0088

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...