• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Threatened by Moorcroft Doorstep Collector with bailiffs and police

mellyb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive just had a third unannounced visit from Moorcrofts debt collector.

I explained to him that right now im living BELOW minimum benefit levels due to a tax credit overpayment when i was working last year, and at the minute have a lot of PRIORITY debts which im struggling to pay. He said he would accept a minimum of 20 a month, i told him i simply cannot afford this, so in that case take me to court where the judge can see what i can realisitcally afford.

He then asked me if i had goods i could give to clear the debt. I told him im not giviving over my goods!

He then actually said to me he was coming back round in 3 days with the bailiffs and the police to let them in to take my goods.

I told him it would need to go to court before anything like that could happen and he said he would obtain a court order within the next 3 days.

can someone please clarify what my rights are. Im on medication for my nerves at the minute, and this has left me feeling completely scared.

You know when you think you know your rights but due to my current situation im feeling very nervous and unsure about things!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mell

Welcome to CAG

You should report them to Trading Standards. If he call's again don't open the door to him, if he refuses to leave call the police. As you said it has to go to court.

He's got no right to ask you to hand over goods.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members.

The OFT Guidelines on Debt Collections. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?416-The-OFT-Debt-collection-guidance

If they do get a Court Order and a Bailiff does call, do any of the following apply to you:-

there is list of vulnerable persons it is part of The nation standards of Enforcement agents 2002 NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR ENFORCEMENT AGENTS MAY 2002

Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

• the elderly;
  • people with a disability;
  • the seriously ill;
  • the recently bereaved;
  • single parent families;
  • pregnant women;
  • unemployed people; and,
  • those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English

Guest Cartaphilus
He then actually said to me he was coming back round in 3 days with the

link3.gif

and the police to let them in to take my goods.

Perhaps this doorstep collector lives in Narnia.

Guest Cartaphilus

Or you could even do what I do, I know whose visited my house for example when not even being in. Technology is quite amazing these days. ;)

Thanks guys, he just left me feeling really nervous. Im in a bad way financially at the minute, and along with the severe anxiety im suffering i had visions of the police knocking down my door. He posted a card through my letterbox aftter i closed the door saying he will return on Friday. Shall i ignore him when he knocks?

Guest Cartaphilus
Shall i ignore him when he knocks?
Yes. Because he's a muppet who thinks he can scare people - unlawfully - and should be reported.

and along with the severe anxiety im suffering i had visions of the police knocking down my door.
Interesting you should say that. Why do you think the police are going to knock your door down in that way?

Right, I am now going to post something here: I had my front door bashed down after a debt collector letter a few months ago. I also suffer with anxiety, but it's nothing serious, but some people out there seem to want it to be, in fact I am presently getting them done for harassment.

Edited by Cartaphilus

What kind of debt is he trying to collect from you?

Have you already been taken to Court over this and either lost or failed to defend?

As for obtaining a Court order within 3 days........ well unless this has previously been to Court and previous orders have been issued I'm afraid this is a load of tosh, if it was that easy why didn't they just go straight to Court and send a Bailliff round instead of an unqualified and hopelessley powerless in law 'debt collector'?

You'll need to give us a few more details before we can offer you accurate advice but if it's any help for now if this is to do with consumer debt eg credit card, bank account, loan, hp etc then the man is talking out his backside

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965

Guest Cartaphilus

You can tell whomever the cretin was from Moorcroft can come and visit my front door anytime of the week. Just be aware I will VIDEO THEM if they do and have the police be at my doorstep on my side, not theirs. If you think I won't just come and try it.

Edited by Cartaphilus

Its an account i had with a mail order catalogue, called Studio. Lost my job and didnt keep up with the repayments. Im not denying i owe the money or anything. I havent had anything from a court about this debt.

@cartophilius; i am going through a pretty rough time at the minute, and my anxiety is such that normal little things go all out of any proportion in my mind. I just shut the door, and had visions of my door being kicked off and all my stuff being taken! Its not a nice place to be!!

Guest Cartaphilus

I know exactly that that is like, more than you know. However, I will not, I will NEVER let bullies push me around, the one thing about bullies and being bullied for most of your life is that you can learn a few things about how they work and, in the end, they are purely cowards and how to use their own methods against them but I will only do that if I am pushed into doing so. In fact, I have the power through what I have learnt, what other things I can do, including relying on family members, connections they have to make their lives very miserable, the same way they do to any of us in these situations but I would never do so, because I won't lower myself to their levels in life. Bullies are nothings. Lowlifes. But they seem to want to make their lives your problem for whatever reasons known only to them. Most of the time I ignore them, because I recognize it for what it is idiotic people doing idiotic things to other people, not knowing or caring what the consequences are. Not even understanding them in most instances. They don't care. Thing is I do care. Which is something they won't ever take from me. No one will ever make me feel that way, because that is giving them emotional power of someone they have no rights to take it from or abuse. And I wasn't just saying that about my door, either, because that is exactly what happened. It has upset me more than I can put into words, because nothing like that has ever happened to me in life before and ever since I have felt unsafe where I live. Purely natural when said and done. It would affect anyone, anxiety or no anxiety. I am a very intelligent human being, yet at times I feel very degraded by all of this. What I will say to you now is, you don't need to be afraid and I am sorry for going off like that. Because I know exactly, I truly wish I didn't know ... what it does to people. This is also one reason I do put aside my own troubles and help people such as yourself. I am not perfect, no one in life is, I make mistakes. I then pay for them. I call it a learning curve. But no one is ever going to take anything from me, and I try to encourage others that they do not need to be afraid in as much as purely to give them some kind of support. I don't get any in life, but I try to give it to others.

So, please, don't be afraid of these people. They rely on fear, threats, intimidation. All of us are only human. I feel very much for someone in your situation and not just saying that, because the range of things I have seen, witnessed in a relatively short lifetime I truly wish I did not have to in terms of human suffering in the emotional and material sense. This is why I fight back.

Edited by Cartaphilus

Firstly, it is very doubtful that Studio even have an enforceable agreement for this debt. Hence it is with Moorcr+p and their supossed heavies.

Firstly, you do not have to open your door or make any acknowledgement that you are 'at home'. If you are able, you should really report this 'man' {I use this term lightly}, to the police, he has made threats and is harrassing you. This IS a criminal Offence. As soon as he is at the door, telephone the police and tell them you are terrified that he is trying to break in, insist that they attend immediately.

You must, as has been advised make formal complaints to Moorcr+p and your local trading standards. Did the card he pushed through the door have his name by any chance or was he too much of a coward to use it?

Lastly if there is any other help we can give on other matters, please do not hesitate to post on here.

Thank you cartophilus, those are very kind and soothing words from you. I hope that one day, when i come out the other side of all this, i too can help others with their misfortunes. Thank you.

Guest Cartaphilus

One of the reasons I flew off the handle before was because I saw yet another person suffering, right now I am crying over your situation because of how it's made another human being feel.

@Harrassed Senior,

he was very bolshy and cocky, gave me his name, and offered his collection ID number when i was challenging him about coming back with police and bailiffs and i told him I was phoning the police and his company. hes left his name and mobile number on the card he posted through the door. I was having a relatively 'calm' day today - with not much mind racing going on, until he knocked :(

Thank you cartophilus, those are very kind and soothing words from you. I hope that one day, when i come out the other side of all this, i too can help others with their misfortunes. Thank you.

I totally agree with your comment re cataphilus's post and as for you helping people you already are by bringing this matter into the open for all to read

There's nothing I can add to the advice already given but please get the Police involved in this so that you have a ref number for the future

These idiots rely on fear and peoples lack of knowledge but you've already proven to be not such an easy target

Try not to worry and good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Most likely there are unlawful charges on what studio are demanding so you probably don't owe what they claim

In any event, these 'people' harass most in cases where they have the least entitlement to be paid. They are just trying to scare you into giving them more than they are entitled to & more than you can afford.

If someone knocks on your door, you are quite entitled to ignore them, even if they can see you.

You are equally entitled to go to the door & tell them very bluntly where to go and never return.

You can video or record the conversation if you want to

In any event they don't have any right of entry (even bailiffs don't!!) and if they claim that they do have then phone the police.

Don't let them in or speak to them again (other than telling them to f*** off)

Have you tried the CAB to see if you are entitled to any other benefits or can get the overpayment reduced or spread over more years?

Remember that there are plenty of people here with advice

Sorry to read about your problems Melly. If you want more reassurance, have a read of this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members.

I would also be inclined to send the following to Moorcroft, by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery - letter amended to reflect the circumstances you describe, but change it however you wish in order to make it more relevant:

By Royal Mail Recorded Delivery

Address

Date: xx/xx/xx

Dear Sir/Madam,

FORMAL COMPLAINT

Account Ref xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, I wish to lodge a formal complaint regarding one of your representatives, (insert name and ID card number here) who paid a doorstep visit to my property on xx/xx/xx. His manner was very intimidating and he made several verbal threats, including bailiff action, police attendance, property repossession and subsequent visits.

I am currently in receipt of unemployment benefit and as you will be aware, your agent's conduct goes against the guidelines set out in The National Standards of Enforcement Agents (2002).

I will be contacting the Office of Fair Trading, Trading Standards and my local MP regarding this matter.

Should it be your intention to arrange further “doorstep calls”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

I would also be grateful if you would supply me with a full copy of your company's complaints procedure.

I trust that I have made my position clear on this matter.

Yours faithfully,

(Print name, don't sign)

cc. Office of Fair Trading

Trading Standards - (insert area here)

Name of local MP

I hope that helps. Good luck!

H. x

Disgusting behaviour by a doorstep collector with no powers totally breaching OFT guidelines.

I think the OP should send the Managing Director of Moorcroft a letter by recorded delivery stating what happened and making a formal complaint about the collector. Also a letter with the details should be sent to the Managing Director of the catalogue company stating what happened. In the letter to Moorcroft make sure you enclose a copy of the letter sent to the catalogue company, so they can see that you have informed their client of this.

If Moorcroft care about their collectors following the rules, they should take some action against the collector and write to apologise to you,.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Fantastic, thanks for that, i shall be sending that letter off asap! Now that ive calmed down a bit, the thing that really galls me is, if i was a pensioner, or had learning difficulties or didnt kow anything about my rights, i would have been so scared into handing over money. Its disgusting the more i think about it. Last night i was so scared and angry all rolled into one. I understand that people debt collect as they need to work, but to scare people is just completely disgusting.

Guest Cartaphilus
I understand that people debt collect as they need to work, but to scare people is just completely disgusting.
Only following orders. It's a choice in other words, to behave that way or don't. Conscience plays a large part.

Yesterday I found a wasp in the bath, it was dying, but must have come in from the cold weather to find warmth. It was nothing to fear, yet part of me wanted to be because that is a primal instinct, because I know they sting, but the thing is it had more to fear from me than I it. It's the same with these doorstep collectors. Yes, they use fear, but that is all they use. Fear without a captive audience is nothing, it quickly loses and relinquishes it's domination over someone. Remember here, that is all they can do, scare, frighten. What does that say about them? They are nothing. You are somebody.

Sorry for the analogy there.

i would have been so scared into handing over money.

Me? I would have slammed the door in their face, that is how you have to be I am afraid with these people. They cannot break your door down, if they get the police to do so ... Oh, dear, BIG mistake. Fear. Like I said.

Next time any of these rejects come to your door, and you know who it is, don't answer them. Note whatever they do next: go to your neighbours, and so on. I know it's not easy, no one ever said it would be, but it's your house, and your front door. Who gave them the right to come and intimidate you like that? No one.

Edited by Cartaphilus