MrShed

When does the registered keeper legally change?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3570 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

Stupid technical question.

I am purchasing my mothers car, and I am timing it to coincide with renewal of insurance.

However, the insurance policy states that I am to be registered keeper of the car.

As such, how do I time this all? Do I send the slip off to the DVLA on the day of change of insurance? Do I do it in advance - if so, will that invalidate my mothers insurance as she is no longer registered keeper?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

It would be as soon as the old and the new keeper signed and dated section 8 of the V5 would it not.

If the old and new keeper sign the V5 on the same date, then as far as I recall it produces a new V5 showing this date to be the official date of change, even though you don't receive this new V5 back for a couple of weeks.

OK so as long as we do that at the same time as changing insurance that should be fine? Thanks guys!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!