• Tweets

• Could you link us to BankFodder's post please? The judge's office means something different to me. HB
    • Hi LFI, With regard to the ANPR cameras in your post #65, while I was on the phone to the Planning Department, they did take a look at Google Streetview and went back to 2012 where they could see the ANPR cameras in place so therefore they would have deemed consent. I had previously read the T&C Planning Regulations and had read the section on deemed consent so I understood the point they made on the phone. It doesn't matter though, that doesn't harm my case any, and I shouldn't really mention this now, (this is what you reminded me of on another thread) but in the past I was a member of a scheme that gave me access to legal advice, I have spoken to a barrister previously through this scheme on another matter and I think I am still a member. I am going to check if I am still a member of the scheme, and if I am I will discuss my case with a barrister or solicitor, whichever the scheme deems appropriate. I will let you know the outcome. I am also going to take Bankfodders advice in the sticky and go to the local court and ask if I can sit in on a case in the Judges office.
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx Yes sorry. they called it a deed at first in court.  Then Judge said she was happy to have it sealed as something else  exact names of orders in message above.     The disease was tested for when his cardiac testing was done immediately after purchase and part of the now sealed case.   However, results were disclosed incorrectly and I only found out  two days ago.   This disease did not form part of my knowledge during the case as I had been informed of a normal result that was not the case.   it is perfect clarity of a genetic disease where as the previous cardiac issue could be congenital until the pup is genetically tested. 
    • Hi, Halifax recently sold a credit card account of mine to Cabot. I am unemployed and have no assets and was thinking of making token £1 payments for 12-18 months in order to drag things out a bit and reduce the chance of Cabot being able to get the correct CCA documents from Halifax if I requested them in future. However, I saw on the pages on this forum about defending county court claims that one of the standard approaches when defending such claims is to say “I had an account with bank X, but I don’t remember the details and so don’t know if I owe this debt…”. If I made £1 payments to Cabot, would it prevent me from using such a defence in future? OC: Halifax DC: Cabot/Wescot Card account opened: 2016 Defaulted: 2023
    • Paperwork says sealed consent order and composite settlement agreement      YES  ADDISONS DISEASE 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFO Services/Barclaycard Debt

twincity
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have HFO - actually sent you ANYTHING from Barclaycard - such as application, statements etc.

nothing at all...what i have received i have posted as links to photobucket, sorry bout the poor quality

Hi twincity

Had a change to re-read your thread properly and it nether ceases to amaze me as to the depths that this company will sink to. I would not flatter them by responding to their correspondence, you have informed them that this debt is Statute Barred (under law) and they have not provided you with any proof that it is not.

The correspondence they have sent you has shown everyone on CAG and elsewhere, the way this company handle personal data and use this to harass people.

Now that you have scanned the documents, you must send them with a complaint to OFT (you can do this by email) and offer to forward copies (with your details) if they require these as evidence. You must also make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and ring Consumer Direct about a complaint to Trading Standards (make sure they inform Merton, Croydon and Surrey) mentioning your health problems and current circumstances.

Thank you for posting this up and making people aware and hope that you can get this sorted.

Edited by coledog

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Newbie here.

I am in a similar boat to you. I have just sent off my SB letter to HFO today and await their responce.

The HFO guy claims that the debt is not statute barred becuase they wrote to me in the 6 years several times and it does not matter if i acklowledge the claims or not.

I still have not admitted the claim. My debts last payment was 24/9/2004. They wrote me in 10/9/2010. I replied denying and asking for agreement.They sent it yesterday, i replied saying it is SB and he said it is not and they are taking to court. I told him good luck.

Any comment from you guys?

• 3 weeks later...

Another thread with a new Cagger who only stayed one day...

Anything doing?

“The Twin Cities was the name of the two city-states on the planet of Radnor: Tacto and Aubendo.”

– you guessed, it, Star Wars.

No this isnt resolved yet.

I have had a new letter from them just a few days ago claiming that it is not statute barred as they tried to contact me several times and they wrote me with a claim action letter but not an actual claims proceeding. That is their reason for it not being statute barred, as if to say i was trying to hide. Having seeked advices, i have been told that they are just trying it on and as i obtained a mortgage since the time they claimed to have written me, then of course i was not trying to hide.

I am looking to write them a letter now threatning to make complaints to OFT if they do not leave me alone.

I will see how that goes.

Sorry boxhave, the reminder was meant for twincities. However...

Ok, time for a more serious complaint.

The fact that they claim they wrote to you does not mean it is not SB. Therefore they are misrepresenting the legal position. In your letter, quote the following bits from the OFT guidelines at them. They have contravened them all. You MUST report this to Trading Standards and the OFT.

2 UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES

False representation of authority and/or legal position

2.3 Those contacting debtors must not be deceitful by misrepresenting their authority

and/or the correct legal position.

2.4 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

b. falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally

cannot, for example, referring to bankruptcy or sequestration proceedings

when the balance is too low to qualify for such proceedings or claiming a

right of entry when no court order to this effect has been granted

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

i. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is

queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

Statute barred debt

2.14 In the past we have dealt with a number of statute barred debt cases governed by

the Limitation Act 1980, which applies to England and Wales. Based on that

experience our position with regard to England and Wales remains:

b. it is the methods by which the debt is collected that can be

unfair as follows:

• it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from

the creditor during the relevant limitation period

• if a creditor has been in regular contact with a debtor before the debt

is statute barred, then we do not consider it unfair to continue to

attempt to recover the debt

• it is unfair to mislead debtors as to their rights and obligations, for

example, falsely stating or implying that the debt is still legally

recoverable and relying on consumers not knowing the relevant legal

provisions, and

• continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they

will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to

harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of

Justice Act 1970.

Just a quick update: have heard nothing further from HFO since 26-10-10, although I'm sure they will try again in the future.

Thanks to all those who gave advice.

In reply to post #83 - comments noted.

• 5 weeks later...

Update

Just received a letter from HFO - Special 5 day Xmas offer, Up to 50% special discount, if willing to settle. Its a very polite letter, promoting them as a very caring company, who dont want people to be worrying about their debts over xmas etc etc blah blah blah

Strange when you consider they were taking me to court with a 72 hour notice of litigation letter at the start of this thread for a SB debt.

P.S. Merry Christmas to u all :smow:

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Just received a schedule of litigation from HFO today, despite being Statute Barred they are still trying it on. Once again I having to write to them, asking for the details of the alledged payment, how much, how payment was made etc. any hints on how to word letter appreciated. Looks like I'm going to court, oh joy.

If I end up in court can I sue them for costs etc. or just sue 'em (just for the hell of it)

The 'schedule of litigation' is a particularly nasty and inaccurate threatogram that other people have been receiving also.

Have you actually registered some complaints with OFT and TS as I think this needs to be added to it.

donate

I think that you need to write an official letter of Complaint to HFO and ask for a copy of their formal complaints procedure to be sent by return. Put on CC (copy to) OFT and Trading Standards.

State that you have informed them that you believe that this debt is Statued Barred and they have failed to provide proof that it is not. Point out that they are breaking OFT guidelines (see posts above) by continuing to send threatening and inaccurate correspondence and you consider this to be harassment. Ask for their written response to your complaint within 14 days.

donate

Just realised they intend to go to Northampton County Court which is 150+ miles from me, if it goes to court can I have the case re-assigned to my local court?

Also just found this on MSE site, sorry I know its a bit long but if it's ok I thought it might be useful for others in the same boat. Please let me know because if it isn't I will edit the post accordingly:

I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any other company or organisation that you claim to be representing.

Acc/Ref No: *******************

FORMAL COMPLAINT under the complaint procedures set out by the Financial Ombudsman.

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/201x, the contents of which are noted.

On xx/xx/20xx I wrote to regarding a debt that was alleged to be owed by myself. That letter was received and signed for on xx/xx/201x as confirmed by Royal Mail tracking.

In this letter I pointed out the following items:

1) Under the
Limitation Act 1980 Section 5
"an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".

2) The OFT say under their
on statute barred debt that
"it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

3) The last
correspondence/payment/acknowledgement or payment
of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under
Section 5 of the Limitation Act
, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

4) The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that
"continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to
section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970
".

Therefore it is clear that your original contact regarding this debt may well have been in breach of the Office of Fair Trading Guideline referred to in item (2).

Furthermore, your second letter is in breach of Office of Fair Trading Guideline referred to in item (4) and directly constitutes harassment.

As you are no doubt aware, breaches of the OFT's Guidance on Debt Collection are treated seriously by the OFT when considering your fitness to hold a Consumer Credit License.

In particular the OFT has recently stated that:

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the Act) requires debt collectors, businesses that offer goods or services on credit and/or are involved in activities relating to credit or hire to be licensed by the OFT. Following implementation of the OFT's new powers under the Consumer Credit Act 2006 on 6 April 2008, the companies could also have specific 'requirements' imposed on them by the OFT. If such a requirement was not complied with, the business concerned could be subject to a financial penalty of up to £50,000. The OFT can also refuse or revoke a licence if it decides that a trader is not fit to hold one. The OFT can take into account any circumstances which appear to be relevant when considering the fitness of an applicant or licensee, including evidence that the company has contravened the Data Protection Act 1988.

Furthermore, that the OFT has recently enforced their guidelines by placing a legal requirement on Mackenzie Hall Ltd to cease pursuing statute barred or disputed debts.

Therefore I wish to formally notify you that unless I received confirmation that this matter is now closed, then I will not hesitate to make a formal complaint to the 'Office of Fair Trading' and also to 'Trading Standards'.

Furthermore, any attempted contact (other than to confirm that this matter is now closed) by any:

• "trading style" of the group
  • constituent member of the group
  • a third party acting on your behalf
  • a third party that claims to have been legally assigned this debt

will result in an immediate complaint to the aforementioned regulatory bodies.

Also please note that any legal action you may consider will be FULLY and VIGOROUSLY defended, and you will be put to a strict proof of the alleged debt and any payment or acknowledgement that you claim within the relevant limitation period.

Furthermore, you may consider this letter a FORMAL COMPLAINT under the complaint procedures set out by the Financial Ombudsman. If you wish to correspond with myself with any other purpose than to confirm that this matter is now closed, then I require you to supply me with a written copy of your complaints procedure and a "final response" that I may forward to the Financial Ombudsman with my complaint.

This COMPLAINT is not going to go away and ignoring this problem could potentially make your situation worse. I therefore strongly recommend that you send written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

This will almost certainly never see the inside of a court room. If this is statute barred within the meaning of the Limitation Act, the the DCA would be mad to pursue it.

The fact that the debt is statute barred doesn't preclude a company from trying to persuade you to pay it but you are under no legal obligation to do so. Sending you letters threatening legal proceedings is a breach of the Office of Fair Trading Guidelines on debt collection. The best thing you can do is to complain to the OFT and to your local Trading Standards department.

I would carefully file any letters you receive from the DCA but studiously ignore them unless they are stupid enough to receive a county court claim in which case folks here will help you with drafting a rock solid defence.

Northampton is used to issue bulk claims. If you were to receive a claim and defend it, any hearing can be transferred to your local court. I told you that the 'Schedule of Litigation' letter is very misleading and designed to frighten people which is why it needs to be reported to the relevent authorities.

Will look at the letter in a while.

donate