emmaphill

Limitation Act and disputed debt

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3579 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

Just wanted to check something and that what I am intending to do is correct.

I have been in dispute with a creditor for some time (over 6 years) and during this time have not paid anything to them and continually refered to the matter as in dispute. There have been letters back and fo with nothing really sorted.

As it is now well over the 6 years since I last acknowledged the debt am I within my rights to send the limitation act letter as stated below or should I be amending to take into account the debt being in dispute:

I would like to point out that under the limitation act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Emma

you are correct if you have not made a payment or made a written or verbal admission of the debt, so without seeing what you have written to the OC or DCA I can only assume that you have not made any acknowldgement therefore this is stat barred

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

I believe verbal admission is inadmisible

it has to be by payment or acknowledged in writing

I have always written that i do acknowledge the debt in my correspondance to the DCA and the creditor.

Thanks for your help i will update how I get on