£1020 SCAMMED - eBay member no longer registered...

Brent-t

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

I recently purchased an Apple Macbook Pro from a seller on eBay for a buy it now price of £1,020. It seemed a good price at the time, and obviously others thought this too as the seller sold 6 of these laptops in a matter of 5-6 hours (yesterday, 25th Oct).

I paid via £120.00 out of my Paypal account and the rest was paid via bank transfer through paypal.

Last night, after having my routine check on eBay, I noticed that the item wasn't in my "won/purchased" category on the side. After further checking, I noticed that the seller had completely unregistered their account and also removed all traces from the item, somehow. I'm not sure how he did this, but I bought the laptop at approx 2.10pm yesterday afternoon and I got the second last one, with the last one being sold at about 3.00pm.

It seems the buyer has done a runner. I can't get any of his details from eBay as his account is unregistered and I can't even view the item I won as he has deleted it from eBay, somehow...

I've opened a dispute with paypal right away but i'm not sure how much i'll be covered for.

This guy seems a real [problem] artist, and has probably already withdrawn all the money from his paypal account (a hefty amount, considering he sold 6 of these laptops, adding up to around £6,100) in a day!

I'm wondering what other course of action I could take? I'm planning on ringing paypal today and seeing what else they can do. They state in the dispute they want to seller to reply by 4th November, but I obviously can't see this happening, and feel at risk waiting for that date to come with no further action taking place.

Thanks for all your help in advance, hopefully someone can give me a solution.

Brent

If you bought via Ebay and Ebay have subsequently noticed suspicious activity, ie 6 laptops from a newish seller, they will delete the listing.

You paid by paypal so are fully protected. You will get all your money back. Even if he has withdrawn the lot, he cannot actually access the cash from his bank for abouit 3 days minimum. Paypal will stop the transfer if needed. But regardless, you will be refunded in full by paypal themselves.

Yes, the item was bought through eBay and subsequently all monies paid was through paypal.

The buyer had 10 feedback (100% positive) and as well as having 6 macbook pros he had sold, he also had blackberry bolds, iPhone 4s, and many more. I only noticed this once I had paid, which right away prompted me to think he was suspicious, hence me keeping an eye on all the actions he took.

Also, are you sure paypal would cover me for the full £1,020? I've heard they only cover up to £500.

Thanks again

Last night, after having my routine check on eBay, I noticed that the item wasn't in my "won/purchased" category on the side. After further checking, I noticed that the seller had completely unregistered their account and also removed all traces from the item, somehow. I'm not sure how he did this, but I bought the laptop at approx 2.10pm yesterday afternoon and I got the second last one, with the last one being sold at about 3.00pm.

:-o

I am at a loss to see a reason to believe that a seller could interfere with an eBay listing, once ended. eBay does that:

Please note that the above list is neither exhaustive nor restrictive. eBay reserves the right to delete any listing that may breach any legal provision or the general principles and values of the eBay community, even if the legal provision or principles and values are not explicitly stated on the site.
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/items-ov.html

Thanks for all your help in advance, hopefully someone can give me a solution.

Crime is a matter for the Police to investigate. If you have not yet realised that eBay's intention above all else it to limit their own liability, you have yet to read the User Agreement.

8)

P.S.

Also, are you sure paypal would cover me for the full £1,020? I've heard they only cover up to £500.

Paypal protection covers you for nothing with regard to an "ineligible item", which a listing deleted by eBay would be:

13.2 What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal Buyer Protection?

You must meet all of these requirements to be eligible for a payment under PayPal Buyer Protection:

1. Your payment must be for an eligible item and made from your PayPal Account (see Section 13.3 for further details on item eligibility);

Paypal protection is not a crime insurance.

They may eventually reimburse you to avoid bad publicity or to keep you sweet if you spend a lot on eBay; that's been known to happen, but in legal terms the entitlement is less than nothing.

8)

Edited by perplexity

Well, eBay must have removed the listing, then. But then how does that make it fair for my payment to continue to be paid to the seller, and for other buyers like me to be £1,000+ out of pocket. Fair? Not really, but then again, what's fair?

Well, eBay must have removed the listing, then. But then how does that make it fair for my payment to continue to be paid to the seller, and for other buyers like me to be £1,000+ out of pocket. Fair? Not really, but then again, what's fair?

:roll:

Paypal never so much as pretended to be fair.

Buyers use Paypal because they think it's better for the buyer when the sellers have pay a fee to Paypal in order to admit, in effect that the seller is not to be trusted. Were the buyers to rather be expected to pay the fee, they would not want to.

Paypal's promise is rather to please itself when a claim is made:

PayPal retains full discretion to make a final decision in favour of the buyer or the seller based on any criteria PayPal deems appropriate.
That is from section 13.6 of the PayPal User Agreement.

8)

:roll:

Paypal never so much as pretended to be fair.

Buyers use Paypal because they think it's better for the buyer when the sellers have pay a fee to Paypal in order to admit, in effect that the seller is not to be trusted. Were the buyers to rather be expected to pay the fee, they would not want to.

Paypal's promise is rather to please itself when a claim is made:

That is from section 13.6 of the PayPal User Agreement.

8)

Do you make this sh*t up as you go along?

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

Wow, so i'm effectively entitled to nothing?

Surely paypal can see that the listing was removed from eBay... And of course, eBay shouldn't have done such a stupid thing as to remove the damn listing when I paid over £1,000....

Any advice as to what my next step should be? Should I contact the police or will they not be interested? Should I ring paypal/eBay to see what they say?

Cheers

You could see what happens with Paypal, ... not so much to lose.

If you're lucky they put a hold on the money, not yet passed on to the [EDIT]'s account but don't bet your life on it. I am not just making this up. Cases exactly similar this have happened before. Paypal proceed to refuse to acknowledge the previous existence of the vanished eBay listing.

Make no mistake about it, eBay and Paypal know exactly what they're doing, ducking their own responsibilities. There's a lot that they do which is indeed unbelievably inept, but they're not so stupid when it comes to keeping their heads down, to dodge the flack.

The thing to do is of course to report the offence to the Police, and to do what you can to contact any other buyers, to urge them to do the same.

The Police routinely fob off complaints about eBay, on the basis that eBay or Paypal are supposed to help you out. The need is thus to explain that they don't. Paypal would not so much as report a suspicion of crime to the Police, preferring to pretend that fraud never happens on eBay.

The chance that the Police put the effort in to chase it up depends in turn upon the chance of a "result", so it is also important to gather intelligence. Help comes to those who help themselves.

What fails to work is to sit back and expect Paypal or eBay to fix it all. They don't. If not arrested, the chances are that whoever was behind this is back again next week, with more stuff to "sell" on eBay, registered as a different identity.

This is not the first time that this sort of thing has happened and it wont be the last.

8)

Just for the record,

just got off the phone from eBay, then paypal, and they were a great help. Gave me a bit of 'piece of mind'.

They confirmed that if the buyer didn't respond to the claim within 10 days, the full amount would be credited back to me. At the moment it doesn't look like the buyer is going to respond due to the fact he closed down his eBay account and is simply trying to do a runner with the money. Hopefully he doesn't, for my sake and the rest of the buyers he scammed!

Thanks for all your help.

Brent.

Don't panic! As others have said - eBay will have removed him becasue of suspicious trading. The money you paid is protected, and in FULL. In the timeframe you indicated, the seller would not have got the money out of his account fast enough, unless he was astute enought to use the credit to buy other stuff. The seller probablky wasn't 'real' either, as a compromised account is fairly easy to obtain and to set up a [problem] in a few hours.