think landlord is about to rip me off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

OK, here is my story. I moved in here May 2008 on a 6 month lease and then a rolling monthly contract after that. Initially was fine but then had major issues with mould and condensation, but also along came the recession and due to job insecurity I didn't want to commit myself to another flat with 6 or 12 month so stuck it out here. Things are better so found somewhere new and gave my landlord notice. They came round today to do a pre-move inspection ( I move in 3 weeks) and then received an email saying that the place was so unclean (it isn't, easy to say I know but it isn't) that they cannot advertise the flat in it's condition to potential viewers. Now, I got this flat via gumtree, and when I handed in my notice they told me that the flat was now advertised so to expect viewings. I've been checking gumtree and property websites (to be nosy and see how much rent they want to charge) and this flat has never been advertised from what I can see, so I think they are at it.

When I moved in there was no inventory taken, but now is concerning me that they might decide to deduct what they like from my deposit and I can prove nothing, but can they?

What worries me more, is that I moved in May 2008, but landlord only gave mydeposits.co.uk the money in September 2009. I received the notification last year but didn't know they had to lodge it within 14 days and didn't pay it any heed as I did not know the law about these things. If he can ignore the law for over a year then...........

Also after having read through some of the threads on here, just realised have not had a gas inspection in 18 months!

Think I've been really naive and silly and taken way too much on trust

what should or can I do if my landlord gets greedy and starts being difficult

How you choose to live in the property, if it isnt causing damage, is nothing to do with the LL/LA. Your requirements are only to ensure thatthe property is returned in the same condition, minas fair wear and tear, to when you moved in.

As there is no check in inventory, your LL will find it difficult to prove the condition of the property when you moved in (it his for him to prove, not you).

Before you move, make sure you sort the property out and take plenty of pictures to show the condition you have left it in.

As the deposit is protected, you should use the scheme arbitration should your LL try and deduct money.

You should insist that the gas is checked asap. The cost could be your life.

Can only echo the above posters.

Whether you will force a gas safety check in the three weeks before you move is questionable but you should certainly try.

Without initial condition report, the landlord cant prove any damages.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!