2 Years since my last payment and no valid CCA sent to me - Can i get debts written off?

experience

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've got 3 credit cards from when i was a student approx 10-12 years ago.

I stopped making repayments to all of them in Nov 2008

In July 2009 i sent them all CCA requests but havnt received anything valid back. I did get alot of threatening debt recovery letters - with the debt passing from one solicitor to another but for the last 6 months that seems to have quietened down from receiving them monthly to now every 4-6 months.

So basically its been 2 years since i last made any repayments and none of them have taken me to court which suggests to me they havnt got valid CCA's :???:

Basically is there any way i can get these debts written off on a technicality of not have an enforceable CCA? I'm prepared to go to court if need be if theres a good chance i can get rid of these debts

I realise i can keep my head down for another 4 years and these debts will be written off but i'm 30 now and wont be able to get a mortgage and get on the housing ladder until i'm at least 36 which isnt ideal :doh:

Just wondering your thoughts on this?

Thank You

They may be unenforceable - but you can not just get them written off.

If your financial position is such that you are unable to meet even the smallest of token payment then you may ask your creditors to write off the debts - but this is unlikley.

None of these "solutions" will help your credit file.

Hi experience

It really isn't a good idea to go through the courts to get the debt written off, recent cases have put paid to that avenue. Also the Judge lottery would be stacked against you. The only other avenue open is to consider a Full & Final settlement for a nominal amount - thats not easily achieved, but they might consider it.

If you do attempt a Full & Final settlement, don't jump into it, do plenty of research, if it's done incorrectly, it will bite you on

the backside. Everything in writing.

You'd have to wait until your 34, not as bad as you feared. Maybe save for 4 years for the deposit. You'd need a smaller mortgage.

yes that was the plan but i was just seeing if there would be a faster way.

When the 6 years is up since the last repayment what is the normal procedure to get the debt taken off your credit file? I can imagine there will be 72 defaults from each credit card over the 6 years on my credit file and can see no bank wanting to give me a mortgage with that

I've got 3 credit cards from when i was a student approx 10-12 years ago.

I stopped making repayments to all of them in Nov 2008

In July 2009 i sent them all CCA requests but havnt received anything valid back. I did get alot of threatening debt recovery letters - with the debt passing from one solicitor to another but for the last 6 months that seems to have quietened down from receiving them monthly to now every 4-6 months.

So basically its been 2 years since i last made any repayments and none of them have taken me to court which suggests to me they havnt got valid CCA's :???:

Basically is there any way i can get these debts written off on a technicality of not have an enforceable CCA? I'm prepared to go to court if need be if theres a good chance i can get rid of these debts

I realise i can keep my head down for another 4 years and these debts will be written off but i'm 30 now and wont be able to get a mortgage and get on the housing ladder until i'm at least 36 which isnt ideal :doh:

Just wondering your thoughts on this?

Thank You

a debt is not written off, it may indeed become sat barred.

Sorry to clarify from that post

The only people that can see your file beyond 6 yearslink3.gif are the credit reference agencieslink3.gif. in effect the default will vanish and no-one will see it ever again.

If the credit agencies can still see the defaults past the 6 years surely your credit score will still be poor?

If a mortgage application is made the bank will contact these credit agencies so wouldnt the credit agencies inform them of the defaults?

Sorry to clarify from that post

If the credit agencies can still see the defaults past the 6 years surely your credit score will still be poor?

If a mortgage application is made the bank will contact these credit agencies so wouldnt the credit agencies inform them of the defaults?

No the CRA's would not inform them - they hold certain info on file for potential lenders to use to make decisions.

Once that info is removed from view the potential lenders will not see it.

It is possible to get a mortgage even with defaults but these are becoming rarer. You will usually have to pay a bit more in interest.

Have you thought about shared ownership with a housing association as a first step on the ladder?