N-Power Electricity Complaint,Advice Needed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have an ongoing issue with N-Power and I don't know what to do anymore!

It's concerning a property I was renting between July 2009 and August 2010.

N Power sent 2 letters to myself in July 2009 confirming they supplied electricty and gas to my property. I provided my meter readings (as did my letting agency) and N Power billed my for my electricty in Oct 2009 - which I paid and have a receipt of this.

However, come Dec/Jan I hadn't received another bill, so I called them to be told that they didn;t provide electricty to my flat - I queried to whom I had paid my money in Oct 2009, and they simply stated it wasn't N Power. When I asked who the supplier was, the gent advised he couldn't under any circumstances tell me this :S - very unhelpful man to be honest.

I have called and emailed 5 times between Jan and June 2010 requesting bills and querying this account - I have these saved and the replies fobbing me off.

Before I moved in August 2010, I contacted them yet again as I wanted this cleared before moving. However, they have advised that they DID supply my flat electricity but that the account was activated then randomly deactivated from the system so they had to create some new thing on the system (NMAP I think, unsure of the jargon)

Long story short, I am having an awful time as they have now billed my over 700 and want the payment ASAP - however, I am EXTREMELY unhappy with how they have handled this. I clearly haven't tried to "chance it" and not pay my bill, I have been told over and over N Power didn't supply my electricity - even though I have letters confirming they do!

The other main issue is that my letting agency are refuising to release my security depoisit of £535 because of this dispute - it's now 2 1/2 months on and I am really struggling because I had obviously been counting on that deposit for my new flat deposit.

N Power are being extremely slow - never answering e mails even though I can see that they have been read/picked up.

Any advice?

ps - sorry for the saga I've written here. :(

Just for clarity. I cannot advise on the complaint itself, but certainly as long as the bills are in YOUR name, the agent is entirely wrong to withhold the deposit on this basis. Is the deposit protected in a scheme?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for the welcome - I have mentioned that I will take the complaint to the energy ombudsman if it's no dealt with in a more timely manner.

Mrshed - Okay, I have been having it out with the ex letting agency regarding this - I have advised them that the account is MY utilities account, thus MY liability and no such bill would fall back to the landlord (their client). I am really angry about this, as this letting agency are not releasing the deposit. It is protected in a scheme (have the details in a file somewhere, I remember them pointing out the seperate holding scheme though)

You have advised them exactly the right thing, and they are absolutely wrong to withhold the deposit for exactly the reason you state.

I would raise a dispute with the scheme to try and enforce release of deposit.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

They have made me get a letter from N Power confirming that this is my account - was very annoyed about this as they just messing me about.

I have provided evidence that all other bills have been paid etc.

Doesn't exactly help when I consider the fact that the letting agency did nothing about the widespread damp/mould in my flat which was reported numerous times!! I have pictures, after I get the deposit back, I am so blogging about them! shocking!

thanks very much for your advice :)

I thought that there were penalties if they unreasonably held on to deposits (or did not bank the deposit properly) ... double the deposit back???

Might be worth checking out & a quick unrecorded threatening DCA type phone call that you might take them to the cleaners if they don't cough up

No 2Grumpy, thats not the case (not with witholding anyways).

Found this on the web:

What happens at the end of my tenancy?

When you leave, if you and your landlord or agent both agree on how much of the deposit you should get back, you should get it back within ten days of agreeing.

If your deposit was held in a custodial scheme, you will also receive some interest on the deposit. The custodial scheme will repay tenants direct, either by cheque or by electronic transfer. Deposits held in the insurance-based schemes will be repaid by the landlord either in cash or by cheque, as they choose. Deposits held in the insurance-based schemes will not pass on any interest to the tenant.

What if there is a dispute about getting my deposit back?

Your landlord or agent is only entitled to keep all or part of your deposit if they can show that they have lost out financially because of your actions, for example, if you have caused damage to the property or you owe rent. Ask your landlord or agent for a breakdown of the specific costs that they are taking out of your deposit. Your landlord or agent cannot keep your deposit to cover putting right normal wear and tear. There are rules on what costs can be deducted from your deposit.

If you don't agree that your landlord or agent should have kept all or part of your deposit, or you disagree with some of the costs that they have taken out of it, then the tenancy deposit protection scheme your landlord or agent has used will offer a free service to help resolve disputes. Information on what you need to do if there is a dispute will be contained in the information your landlord or agent will have given you at the start of your tenancy (see above). Each scheme will contain an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) service. When a dispute occurs, and if you and your landlord both agree to use the service, you will have to agree to accept its decision and will not be able to apply to the courts. If you or your landlord do not agree to use the ADR service then the dispute will usually go to the county court.

This doesn't look like one of the things that a landlord can keep the deposit for.

and for the landlord

Check Out

On the last day of tenancy, after the tenant has removed their possessions and vacated, you should:

Receive the keys and details of their forwarding address.

Read gas, electricity and water meters, and inform all utility companies and the council-tax department that they have vacated (provide them with the tenant's new address for any final bills).