Faulty TV From Ebuyer.com

SkinBobUk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post so first off hello!

Basically I have a problem with ebuyer.com

On the 13/09/10 I ordered a 32" LCD Tv from them to be delivered next day which it was, however the unit that arrived was faulty, so I raised an RMA on the site and a replacement was agreed. I was not too happy at the amount of time it took however, I paid extra for next day delivery so thought they would send a new unit out and collect the faulty one at the same time, but this was not the case. I had to send the unit back, wait for them to inspect it, and then send another one out.

Now the second unit got delivered on 20/09/10. Up till now it has been ok however now this one has developed a serious fault where it sounds like it could blow up at any moment. To say im pleased is an understatement.

I contacted ebuyer on 23/10/10 to explain I had yet another faulty tv. I looked on their site to note that the specific model i purchased is out of stock, so had a look at others. I explained in my contact with ebuyer that I had lost faith in the product and would it be possible to pay the extra towards a differant model. However I have recieved a reply today saying that "Unfortunately as this original order was over 28 days then we would only be able to repair or replace the TV under the warranty."

Now i appreciate it is over 28 days, however I am not best pleased, the tv in question is obviously not fit for purpose. I have read over the SOGA several times but cannot see any specific details with regards to a 28 days time period and if this can be enforced.

I am looking for some advice to see what I can do about this. I really do not want to keep this model of tv, yet it would seem I am stuck with it?

Thanks in advance!

Ask for a refund and shop elsewhere!

I've heard horror stories about this firm selling shoddy goods

Send a letter asking for a refund, your original tv was faulty and they replaced it and that was also faulty so tell them you will ring Consumer Direct with a complaint

Thanks for you reply.

Unfortunately I really do not want a refund. I would like the alternative product. However looking closer at the SOGA they have a right to repair or replace the product. I cannot see any law, etc which will entitle me to a differant product.

The brand is Foehn & Hirsch.

To be honest I am not the only person who has had a problem with this tv. My friend ordered one the same at the same time as him and his arrived with the back casing smashed, ebuyer replaced the item but now his new one has developed another fault also.

I notice that their terms and conditions with regard to the Distance Selling Regulations are not legitimate:

Once the item is received at Ebuyer.com, we'll issue a full refund for the product to your original payment method.
The Regulations are perfectly clear to the effect that

The consumer shall not be under any duty to deliver the goods except at his own premises and in pursuance of a request in writing, ....
Since the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, "not legitimate" means criminal offence.

8)

I've spoken to them and seem to be getting somewhere, I found some information basically saying that if an item is faulty after 3 days the company has 3 attempts to repair/replace the item. After these 3 times if the product is still not fit for purpose/faulty then you can claim a refund.

So basically ebuyer are sending me yet another tv, which with any luck will be just as bad, and then i can either get my money back, or pay the extra towards a decent one!

I did the same thing with Tesco 2 years ago. I brought one of their own brand 'Technika' 22 inch tv/dvd combo. I only wanted a cheap thing for the bedroom but it was that bad I took it back the next day, got my £150 refunded and added £100 extra and brought a Samsung 22 inch (from elsewhere).

The extra £100 I spent made a massive difference in quality.

I know not everyone has this option but if you can you should always spend a little extra and go for a brand you know as these own brands, Technika, Foehn & Hirsch, Alba, Matsui etc....... Its all cheap rebranded chinese junk.