style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I posted something a few weeks back about an issue with the laminate flooring that my Landlord was trying to charge me for repairing.

I now have another issue! The front door lock (yale lock) has broken and has been broken for a few days now. The door is a communal one and there is a seperate door (with lock) to our appartment however someone could gain access to the building as the door is completely unlocked at present.

I reported this on Friday, but nothing has happened yet. Can you tell me what the Landlords obligations are for fixing this, and in what time window he needs to do it. I'd assume at this point his insurance is invalid so that is his issue but so, probably. would ours if a break in happened.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Si

You need to give the Landlord reasonable time to deal with this - what is 'reasonable' depends on particular circumstances, of course.

If you called them Friday afternoon and they wish to "avoid" weekend call out rates etc then at the very least I would expect it to be resolved the early part of this week.

That said, it would do no harm to confirm this is an email to them now, if you haven't already, to the effect of

"Hi, I called Friday afternoon to report that the front Yale lock was broken.

Please could you let my neighbours and I know when you will be able to repair/replace this.

If the lock cannot be repaired in the next day or so and a new lock/barrel is needed, please can we make arrangements for replacement keys for us all the early part of this week, for which our thanks.

If you are not able to attend please advise by return and we will make arrangements ourselves to deal with this and deduct the cost from our rents. Perhaps you could confirm your intentions?

The front door is currently not secure and we are concerned that our flats are vulnerable to anyone coming off the street, as much as there being a possible impact on our household insurance.

I look forward to hearing from you."

You will note that the tone of my suggested draft is not too stroppy - that's not to underplay the fact that the landlord needs to pull their finger out, more that you have already had one, arguably unfortunate dealing with the landlord.

If you wish to remain the property at time of renewal you need, perhaps, to consider how you ''manage'' your landlord now, as much as minimising the aggravation to you in recovering your deposit when you do come to leave.

Just my take on things, but hope it helps all the same.

Edited by NewSAHD
amended suggested draft

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)