State Pension/disabled living allownance question

mrdavid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I wonder if anyone could clarify something for me, my dad just asked if I could find out whether or not my mother is entitled to state pension in addition to (or instead of) her current benefits, their details

my parents are both 61, my mother has not worked for a very long time (she has MS and also recently cancer) my father is recently retired.

my mother recieves disability living allowance for help with personal care at middle rate and with help for getting around at higher rate, both awarded indefinitely.

is my mother additionally entitled to a state pension?

No but both of them may be entitled to Pension crediThis depends of the amount fo savinsg they have. DLA does nto come into the equation. Is your dad claiming carer's allowance for looking after your mom?

my dad is claiming carers allowance for looking after my mum yeah.

as for their levels of savings, I believe its slightly in excess of the 16,000 that has ruled them out of one or two other things they have applied for of late. actually he's just bought a new car so that might be under now.

Their savinsg and any other pension received in would be vital in determing whether they are entitled to pension credit as they are too young for state pension which kicks in at 65 years. hopefully someone with better knowledge fo the system will be along to assist you.

They may be able to get pension credit depending on their income (occupational pension and any interest from savings). They can go Online and complete an assessment and if they are entitled to anything, they can then apply. Have a look at this website for an assesment. See https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Hello. If your Mum doesn't have a sufficiently long contribution history, she may have to wait until your Dad is 65. Have a look at the DWP website. They used to have a good pensions calculator and I think it could find your records through an NI number. It's worth a look, or she could ring the pensions people in Newcastle, number on the website.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

thanks. its unlikely that she does have any sort of history she worked until I was born and then was diagnosed with MS a few years after that, I'm guessing its 35 years since she worked, so unless DLA and its predeccessors include contributions then perhaps she will have to wait, shall look into that further though thanks.