Help with TDS and raising a dispute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I moved out of a rented property 2 weeks ago and the Landlord got in touch the next day saying 2 carpets were damaged; 1 with an iron burn and the other with paint both my fault which I acknowledge. However these carpets were nowhere near new when I moved in they must of been at least 5 years old and I lived there for 2 and a half. My question is, is the Landlord within his rights to bill me for brand new carpets? He is unwilling to give me an amount he wants to take.

He also mentioned one on the walls is "dirty and will need repainting"; this wall is covered in damp and mould an issue I have been chasing him over for 2 years........I have refused to pay for this.

He is now saying that he is going to do a full inventory on the house and take it to TDS. A check in inventory was done which I have a copy of but a check out was never done, his workman came round had a quick look mentioned how spotless the house was and took the keys. What do I do? Should I request to be present at the check out even though it will of been over 2 weeks?

Throughout the 2 and half years I had so manhy problems with this Landlord, nothing was fixed immediately and a boiler was meant to be boxed in as it was in a childs room, this never happened, although when eventually pressed on it last month he said "well I paid for the work ages ago so I'm presuming its done" despite my constant phonecalls.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Emma

1) He cant charge for a brand new carpet;

2) You shouldnt be expected to pay for the repainting of the wall if its dirty beacuse of damp;

3) You can request to be present but they are under no obligation to allow it.

Why dont you ring the particular TDS scheme up yourself and begin the process of reclaiming the depsoit rather than waiting for the landlord to do it at their lesiure?

Hi Planner,

I will do that many thanks for your reply.

The letting Agent who hold the deposit are saying they have heard nothing at all from the LL regarding it so I think raising a dispute may be my only option.

My tenancy agreement states that the deposit will be returned to me within 14 days of handing over the keys after a check out has been done which they "suggest the tenant is present at", do you think I should push this or at least the fact it was not done?

Many thanks

Emma