issue with British Gas - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.

i recently checked my credit rating and it showed that i had an unpaid bill with British Gas back in 2006. I phoned british gas today and they say that the balance is there due to an account dispute back in 2006 made by npower. British Gas apparently sent me another final bill which i tried to pay (although i have no recollection of it). apparently this payment failed (not sure how) but i have had no correspondance from british gas whatsoever since. The person on the phone said in order to correct this issue i must pay the outstanding bill.

Can they still charge me for their error back in 2006 and also make me pay an outstanding debt that is over 4 years old?

whats my best course of action on this?

thanks

Ben

ASk them to send you a breakdown of the bill and also to explain in writing why tbhey think you owe them this money. It is a bit unclear where Npower come into the picture as utility companies don't pass debt. The only thing I can think of is that Npower gave BGAS an incorrect opening or closing reading but that is hardly your fault.

hi, just spoke to someone else that shed a little more light. i signed up with npower back in July 2006. British Gas closed my account on an estimated bill in July. Npower rectified this with the new readings i gave them. british gas then raised a dispute against the final bill early 2007. that resulted in £41 debt. British Gas claim i tried to pay the new bill, but it failed. i have not recieved any correspondance that this payment failed... I am also with another bank now so i am unable to get hold of any transactions against my account.

thanks

Ben

british gas then raised a dispute against the final bill early 2007. that resulted in £41 debt.

I think the fact that you had no correspondence about this is telling

I don't understand BG raising a dispute - presumably with npower

If they didn't give the new reading to BG within 28 days then BG might have expected the bill to stand, but you would have paid NPower from the actual reading

You might be in danger of paying for some gas twice.

Do you have your bills and records of payments from NPower as well from that period? Do you remember getting an amended bill from NPower?

I would ask BG for a copy of the bill and all correspondence that they sent as well as an explanation of what has happened & why they are claiming that you owe them money as you believe you have already paid NPower for the gas.

It may be that NPower owe BG the money, not you