David Lloyd & Cancellation

ShaneG2009

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My brother and i use David Lloyd for our gym membership and have decided that we want to cancel it based upon their latest text message to say that monthly fee's will be increasing by £10 from 1st November 2010. They say this is due to a £370k refurbishment.

This will mean that we are paying about £75 per month which is too much we think.

My question is will we be liable to DL to charge us the remaining months of the 18 month contract if we cancel? We still have about 4 months of the initial 18 remaining.

I guess i am just looking for anybody on the forum to give me their experiences of how DL react when accounts are cancelled!!

Thanks in advance

Shane

It depends if the terms and conditions of the contract state anything regarding increasing the membership during the contract.

My gym (another large chain) has these terms in, allowing them to increase by up to 10% over the contract term.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi Shane,

None of the gyms seem to react kindly to any cancellation when it's still in your initial contract period. However, many of the cases here show that the contracts or agreements are poor and would not stand up to being tested in any court action. That's why the gyms or their administrators back down when challenged.

They also make it difficult to cancel AFTER the initial period has expired, saying you have to give x month's notice, in writing, by Recorded Delivery, to Head Office, etc, etc.

Check your agreement or contract to see what's said about cancellation when fees increase, during the initial period.

Come back if you're still in any doubt. 8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)