purchase receipt used to get a warrant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks

Anyone know if a purchase receipt can be used as proof of ownership of a vehicle? And can a warrant be granted based on this?Personally I would have thought not but one has been granted for an unpaid pcn and now I have bailiffs coming round.They are not looking for me but they are coming to my home.Any help would be greatly appreciated or a pointer to another thread regarding this as I can't seem to find one..Thanks

Thanks for the reply green and mean,but nothing has come here because I didnt purchase the car.I know nothing about this car ,I am neither the owner or keeper and never have been and this car has never been connected to me or my home ever, This was confirmed by the dvla , who actually do have the keepers name and address on database but cant reveal who.Of course they shouldnt and I dont want to know either .I will be receiving urgent confirmation of this info from them about the lack of connection whatsoever to me or my family or my home..So why are bailiffs here??Apparently whoever bought this car used my address fraudulently and thats being investigated now, but the pcn was issued and a warrant sought in court for non payment and bailiffs instructed based on this purchase receipt!!!I've received nothing about anything except this bailiff visit and its not even me hes looking for!!!

Edited by caoimhoo
typo

There seems to have been some sort of mix up along the way. If the person had used your address to fraudulently register the car you would have received the notice to owner etc by mail before the baliffs came so that does not appear to be the case. I am confused where the information comes from regarding the receipt, the parking ticket would have gone to the keeper on the v5 if he had sold it the process would start again with the person they sold the car to, did you get a NTO? Surely the person buying the car gets a receipt not the person selling so why would they (the council) have a copy of the receipt? None of this makes sense? Sometimes if they go to the registered v5 address and the keeper has moved they will try and trace the keeper using various means, electoral role etc but the warrant will only go to the person who has had a nto and charge certificate?

It is possible that a transfer of liability was done to a person unknown, and in their efforts to trace that person they are under the impression they are living at your place. They could therefore be paying visits without having previously posted mail there. As you say, "They are not looking for me but they are coming to my home".

If I were you I would call the council first thing and try and get to the bottom of where they got your name and address from. They will help you sort it out if there's been an error.

It is possible that a transfer of liability was done to a person unknown, and in their efforts to trace that person they are under the impression they are living at your place. They could therefore be paying visits without having previously posted mail there. As you say, "They are not looking for me but they are coming to my home".

If I were you I would call the council first thing and try and get to the bottom of where they got your name and address from. They will help you sort it out if there's been an error.

If that were the case then the person deemed liable would have got an NTO not a visit from the baliffs, you cannot just blame someone else at the warrant stage.

It is definitely all been a clerical mistake on behalf of the pcn issurer and the bailiff only act on what the warrant says. The bailiff has now backed off me and hopefully the pcn issurer may just ring the dvla and get the keepers name and address and send the pcn to them.They hadnt done that originally ,apparently, even though their website says tht this is their procedure.Its been very frustrating and hopefully the matter is over.I have sent proof of my identity and hopefully its done and dusted.Thanks for all the help.My stress levels reached record highs and hopefully will return to normal soon

It is definitely all been a clerical mistake on behalf of the pcn issurer and the bailiff only act on what the warrant says. The bailiff has now backed off me and hopefully the pcn issurer may just ring the dvla and get the keepers name and address and send the pcn to them.They hadnt done that originally ,apparently, even though their website says tht this is their procedure.Its been very frustrating and hopefully the matter is over.I have sent proof of my identity and hopefully its done and dusted.Thanks for all the help.My stress levels reached record highs and hopefully will return to normal soon

With due respect you obviously have no understanding of the process they cannot and do not just issue warrants willy nilly a PCN, NTO and Charge Certificate must have already been issued. I would suspect that as I stated earlier the correct procedure had been followed up to the baliff stage and then the keeper wasn't at the warrant address so the baliffs have for some reason connected them with the address you live at. A warrant is issued to a person not an address so apart from the inconvenience there is little to worry about since you are not the keeper stated on the warrant and your car was not the vehicle that got a PCN.