• Tweets

• Thanks everyone for all your help, but unfortunately my case was dismissed. This is the 2nd time I've had this happen now so I doubt ill be taking on any parking firms in future sadly. The judge said I lost it on the grounds that the sign said I had 28 days to declare who the owner of the vehicle was, and said I should have complied with this.  My costs are Judgment for the claimant £133.33 Issue fee Hearing fee Solicitors costs - total £265 grand total £398.33 Do those costs look about right?
    • In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest HeftyHippo

yes, complain to the OFT Wescot licence has not been renewed and you should make the point that they have acted outside the guidelines and they are unfit to hold a licence

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let sleeping dogs, but for their time and trouble in rattling your cage, report their undesirable working practices to the OFT/TS via consumer direct, they might advise you to forward your complaint to other agencies to investigate, either way every complaint will help to either force these companies to act ethically and within the guidelines laid down, or send them to the wall.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 3 months later...

I have a few matters which have been batted backwards and forwards with various pond life for between 3 and 4 years now, plenty of threats and rubbish of course, but no actual action of a legal kind

I wonder if this because I own no actual property ( ie dwelling) and am consistantly active in knocking back their stupid responses?

Secondly, is their perhaps a downward pattern of effectiveness and effectiveness of DCA's? or are they all equally as rubbish as each other?

Just curious

Hi

I no longer own a property or anything of value and have managed to ignore spam letters for a while now - I never respond to these, with one notable exception who shall remain nameless. A property is a very powerful threat for them to use and you will find that they constantly trawl the Land Registry or do CR searches. They are also cautious of people like you who know their rights therefore will try and find a new unsuspecting victim.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

It's a culmination of things, DCA's have very little power, they never have but where things differ is that these days the individual is much more empowered

due to the internet and the advance of forums such as Consumeractiongroup, & moneysavingexpert , now the woman/man in the street can fight back and

use the legislation that was put in place to help protect them but who until these forums did not have a clue as to how to go about it or even if it was

achievable. Now they see others in the same predicament and they're able to exchange and arm themselves with information to help fight their corner

with a little more gusto. Almost every day on CAG a newbie comes to the board with almost exactly the same queries as those that are now cag

seasoned campaigners, it's a sort of deja vu feeling, so the DCA hasn't changed, they still churn out the same rubbish as what they did years ago, but

what has changed is the ability of the individual to be able to fight back....

Most debtors would like to pay their debts but it's gotten much harder to survive financially, something has to give and if it's a question of putting

food on a plate or ensuring a family has clothes on it's back or paying a DCA then the dca is going to lose everytime. (or at least they should)

There is nothing wrong with a dca wanting to collect money, debt is a way of life and whilst their is debt there will always be debt collectors, it's just

that the majority of them out there these days are nothing short of scavenging miscreants of the highest order who are only concerned as to their

own books rather than the plight of the average alleged debtor. CAG and other forums like it have helped stem the flow.....

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Thank you all for your thoughts, I posted the question more for my own peace of mind, I got the feeling some time agop that if a) they had anything really enforceable they would have taken more robust and official action ( I would) and the fact that I have no real estate must be another

I have "seenoff" a few over the last year, assuming they dont flog it on without telling that they have "closed their files", but thats another potential story!

It's a culmination of things, DCA's have very little power, they never have but where things differ is that these days the individual is much more empowered

due to the internet and the advance of forums such as Consumeractiongroup, & moneysavingexpert , now the woman/man in the street can fight back and

use the legislation that was put in place to help protect them but who until these forums did not have a clue as to how to go about it or even if it was

achievable. Now they see others in the same predicament and they're able to exchange and arm themselves with information to help fight their corner

with a little more gusto. Almost every day on CAG a newbie comes to the board with almost exactly the same queries as those that are now cag

seasoned campaigners, it's a sort of deja vu feeling, so the DCA hasn't changed, they still churn out the same rubbish as what they did years ago, but

what has changed is the ability of the individual to be able to fight back....

Most debtors would like to pay their debts but it's gotten much harder to survive financially, something has to give and if it's a question of putting

food on a plate or ensuring a family has clothes on it's back or paying a DCA then the dca is going to lose everytime. (or at least they should)

There is nothing wrong with a dca wanting to collect money, debt is a way of life and whilst their is debt there will always be debt collectors, it's just

that the majority of them out there these days are nothing short of scavenging miscreants of the highest order who are only concerned as to their

own books rather than the plight of the average alleged debtor. CAG and other forums like it have helped stem the flow.....

how very true your words are, before i found the cag website i did indeed fear these **** dca/s , thier threats and horrible phone calls really upset me and my family, with thanks for the reading and help i have had on this forum i have indeed learnt to fight back!

Just a quick question, and my apologies if this has been well covered, but all mine are pre 2006, are "Application Forms" sent back under CCA request in themselves generally considered unenforceable, I appreciate this is rather a generalised question

Those I have have often no required T & C's, are often illegible photocopies adn some have no sig from the issuer

In my simple view of things, an application form is an application for a financial product, there is no proof that you actually received the benefits or that it was approved. The credit agreement is the thing that would be binding if correct although their is the arguement that by signing an application there is a link and you have agreed to the Terms and Conditions?

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Thank you, it is much as I thought, and I asked really just for peace of mind. No-one has produced anything which could be taken as an agreement, and I fully understand the meaning of "Application Form, as you say its an application for something

Many thanks for the guidance

Hi there,

I haven't seen you scan of the CCA provided but in general ....

You must look to see if the application form is headed that it is a consumer credit agreement regulated under 1974 CCA Act - this should also be included in your signature box, where is shoud also state that by signing you agree to be bound by the terms of the act.

That is how they got round using an application form to also act as an agreement, and getting you spending asap ... !!

Of course if the doc provided is cited by the Creditor as a CCA, then it should also include ALL prescribed terms under s60(1) of the ACT, and contain a box or reference mentioning or discussing cancellation rights.

Must also be signed and dated by both parties i.e you and the creditor

All my CCA requests have come back with an application form in place of an agreement - all but one (bank of scotland preference account) are correctly headed and include the "health warning" about my signature .... but there are no pres terms in any of them ... !!!!

I have obviously first responded with the "thie is an application" dispute letter - to which they have all replied that the application is the agreement - which suits me just fine as they have all been defective ....!!

So, my response has been to send the "in dispute" letter, reiterating that what they have have sent me following my CCA request, is a mere application form - which they have advised they are choosing to rely upon as a regulated credit agreement.

Accordingly for it to be a correctly executed agreement, ALL the prescribed terms as denoted by s60(1) of the Act must me loacted within the 4 corners of the agreement. I then go on to detail what the pres terms are and the consequences of them being absent .... if they come back and say "oh yes it is enforceable" ... I then simply request that in support of their claim, they direct me to the location of the pres terms within the alleged agreement they have sent me, so that I may consider them ....

Of course they can't (if they are not in the doc they have given you), and there you have them snookered..... !!!

And off you will go on the rounds of the DCAs ....

Abs x

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that when you answer the phone to silence, and it is probably a DCA on an (illegal) silent auto dial system that rapidly pressing the # key 6 0r 7 times confuses the system and it kicks the number out of memory/system.

I dont know if it is true but I shall try it the next time I get a silent call be it from the filth of the DCA world or a marketing call

Any comments?

nope

all the systems do is listen for audio

if it detects it

it goes thru the system to a call centre operator.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I find that humming "the star spangled banner" annoys them, especially if you keep on humming when the "call centre employee" starts reading from their script.

Their are some of these employees who are not allowed to terminate a call and have to wait until you hang up, since they are paying for the call and unless you are in a hurry or have an appointment or similar, I suggest that you hum yourself silly at their expence.

every now and again say "hello" until you have their attention, and when they answer, start the humming again

My dads favourite (and he has a Masters degree in putting off cold callers and the like) is to play the doddery old man bit and say "Hello, I will have to get some paper and a pen and will take the message otherwise I will forget..." then go off.

With silent callers he just plays 'white noise' back at them... the best one being the noise made when you play an old cassette which has an old game on it, sounds really awful! He recorded one onto an old mobile and places it near the phone to play when suitable calls occur.

Just tell them that you are deaf (deaf to any calls from debt collector or cold sellers)and need everything to be put in writing.

Before someone says, how did you know the phone was ringing ? There may a light which comes on when the phone rings.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I use to hello routine.

ME: Hello

THEM: Can I speak to Mr Alf

ME: Hello

Them: I need to speak to Mr Alf, !!!!!@@@@@!!!!!????????????

Me: Hello

Phone usually goes dead around now, but if it hasn't one more Hello, then put the phone down.

****es them right off

I to have used the old please hold while I get them then just put the phone on the table leave it for couple of min then pick up phone and ask "are you still there I am trying to find him/her" and if call has not been disconnected put the phone down again for another couple of min. It does work they eventually realise that calling you cost money and they are getting no where so stop ringing you.

dpick

I just ask them how they got my number, if they refuse I just repeat the question endlessly until they sod off

but for DCA's I tell them that I did not supply my number so please inform me who gave it to you and that they had better remove it from their system as I did not give them permission to hold in their system

works a treat