iPhone4 bumper has marked phone

scott6kids

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Caggers,

I have heard so much about this forum that I thought it was high time that I registered. Hope that someone can help me out with my problem with Apple.

Due to the media hype about the signal problems on the iPhone4, Apple sent all users who report the problem a free bumper which is a little rubber jacket that goes over the outside of the phone and stops you cutting off calls if you hold the phone is a particular way. My bumper was being used for just over 1 month until I decided to put a screen protector on the phone so I needed to remove it first before I would apply the protected. Once the bumper was moved I say that there was lots of "rub" marks all over the metal band on the iPhone and these were caused by the bumper. There was nothing stuck between the phone and the bumper that could have caused this so I reported the phone to Apple via their "contactus" button on the website and so that I was not happy about this and wanted the phone exchanged.

One of their representatives come back to me after 3 days saying that he was sorry for the problem and that Apple were aware that the black bumper could in-fact mark the phones....I was then instructed to call the Applecare line who would sort my problem out. After calling though to them on and offer of the next 48 hours, I managed to get though to an agent who was based in the US. This person said that she was sorry again for the phone, was aware that of the problem and said that there was nothing that Apple could do as the bumpers were provided as a gift and I was my choice to use them or not. I was not happy with this response so I asked what else could be done and I was politely so that my feedback would be used to enhance future product development however there was no solution from Apple even that they had admitted that they knew about the damage on both email and verbally.

Phew - my question is what are my rights and do they change as Apple is based in the US and everything that say seems to follow US law not international law. Surely if they admit that they knew it caused damage then they should be responsible for replacing the phone ?

Can I get some views on this please?

Thanks

There's no such 'International' law. Bumpers in themselves do not inherently cause damage. If you were in a hot climate and (say) the bumper colour transferred to the plastic, they could argue in 'normal' usage the colout transfer would not take place, and if you noticed this was happening, it would still be your responsibility to change or use something else. The bumper added protection, but if put in a leather case instead, and there were issues, I'd be pursuing the case manufacturer.

However, we are talking about cosmetic issues - the phone still works as it should, so any action for redress simply because of scuffing. Practically, if it is a silicone band, I doubt there could be any wear, as I doubt it would be abrasive enough to cause the problem complained of. It may also have been caused prior to the instasllation of it, so how could you prove it wasn't?

It may be easier to put it in a better quality (leather) case, and move on.

To be fair to him buzby, the issue certainly appears on my phone as well (same phone and bumper).

I cant explain why the silicone has done it, but it somehow has.

Although I appreciate your point regarding it still working fine, bear in mind that any form of cosmetic damage to these goods seriously decreases their value.

However, I do agree to leave it and move on - more because of lack of redress than it not being an issue though.

(Also, I've already managed to scratch mine elsewhere, so doesnt bother me as much!!)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

:-). I'm more aware of this myself, but I have an iPad cover that actually causes screen issues, but the addition of protractive film fixed this. If the bumper spontaneously combusted, there would be an issue worth pursuing, as thief would if Apple insisted that the bumper was used. Since they didn't it would be up to the consumer to use their judgement as to suitability.

What happens is abrasive particles like small stones etc get caught between the silicone bumper and the casing on the phone with daily use, because the silicone bumpers are flexible they move these particles backwards and forwards over the case of the phone when you hold the case or move the phone around, this in turn causes small scratches to the phone over time with daily use, you need to wash the bumpers periodically to avoid/minimise this type of damage.

This would of course happen with any type of cover, but the silicone bands would have a greater tendancy to retain those particles, therefore, the issue would be one where the consumer remains responsible, as the bumper itself did not cause the problem.