Shockingly High Npower Bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

After moving out of my house i received an electric bill for £870 for the period Dec 09- July 10. I really feel that this bill is way too high and the first person (I have spoken to a few people from Npower now) I spoke to at Npower agreed with me, that it didnt seem correct. The bill is based on the meter reading I gave to Npower. The gas bill for the same period is £255. The heating and cooker were both run on gas.

Given this I am worried that the electricity is being stolen, especially as some of the landlord's family live next door to this end of terrace house and the landlord does not seem to be entirely above board.

Can Npower go and check this out? Will/can they charge for this service?

Im also wondering if there is perhaps a fault in the system to cause such a high bill, can this happen?

Warm regards

Any extraction of electricity after the meter is the responsibility of the person contracted to the supplier and would need to be taken up using legal processes with the person extracting from your supply. A private electrician, at the cost to the victim would be needed to verify any extraction.

The electricity supplier is only responsible for anything up to the meter point and the meter it's self.

Are you sure the opening meter read on your account is correct and that you didn't mis-read the meter by any chance?

Thanks for your reply.

Im sure that i didnt mis-read the meter. I have had electricity bils in my name before in the past and have never encountered any problems.

I have just spoken to npower who want to inspect the meter as the readings are very strange, the ending one is a smaller number than the first one I gave and because the readings is so high, the npower bill is for around 33.5 units per day, which every person that I speak to at Npower agree that it is unusually high.

There is a live account for the property so they believe that someone is living there. I went round today and saw no signs of someone living there, it looks just as we left it. Npower said that the best thing, given my suspisions towards the landlord, would be to ask the current tenant to contact them to sort this out, as it is in everybody's best interest. I will try again later today.

However myself and the other housemates felt that the landlord was pretending to live at that address as the landlord received bank statements and other post to the address and kept herself on the electoral poll despite having not lived there for at least four years.

Currently the landlord appears to be ignoring all atempts from myself and my other house to contact her. (emails, phone calls and texts) Is there anyway to obtain some kind of court order to enter the property?

What can i do?