Vodafone Default Dilemma- please please help!*RESOLVED*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all! I'm new to CAG but have noticed that several other users have encoutered a similar problem to me and I'm desperately hoping to try and resolve this problem once and for all as it has been incredibly stressful.

I ended my contract with Vodafone in August 2009 - I did it via e-mail, giving my 30 days notice. I received an emailing confirming the termination date of my contract, in which I was told to ensure that I did not cancel my direct debit as they would need to take the final payments. When I rang up to obtain a porting code to keep my number, the telephone advisor echoed this advice.

Fast forward to December 2009. Out of the blue I received a letter from DLC informing me I owed vodafone £118.22 and a default had been registered against my file. I was completely shocked as I've never received anything like this before - I'm only 22! I rang DLC and arranged for immediate payment. The there was a lot of very stressful to-ing and fro-ing between various customer advisors at Vodafone. Eventually I was told that, when my contract had ended with Vodafone after those 30 days, I was supposed to make the last payments manually as they wouldn't be able to use the direct debit any longer. This was in complete contradiction to what I had previously been told. Call me naive, but I did as I was instructed - I had left the direct debit open, money was in my account to pay for it, that was that as far as I was concerned. I moved house at the end of August, as students often do, but did not inform vodafone as my contract had ended and, as far as I was concerned, everything was in place. Even so, I had an online account, but I did not receive any emails or notification to inform that payments were outstanding. It was only when I received the letter from DLC that I was made aware of this situation, and it was too late by this point.

I discussed this at length this someone from collections at Vodafone in January and she seemed to agree that it was a error made by Vodafone and therefore the default would be removed. Having checked my credit report again the default is satisfied, but present nonetheless. Having discussed this issue again today with Vodafone, I was told that I wouldn't be able to have this default removed, even though I expressed that I feel I haven't done anything wrong - I followed the instructions I was given.

I'm a medical student who has funded myself through Uni and my credit report is otherwise good. Now in 6th year I am really struggling money wise and need to take out a Professional Trainee Loan from Natwest (this is a type of loan available to medics/dentists to help them fund their studies) but this default is seriously hindering me and goodness knows how it will affect me in the next few years. I would be grateful of any help - being young, pretty unassertive and having no experience in this area I feel like I'm an easy person to fob off, especially seeing as I'm technically no longer a Vodafone customer.

Vodafone told me one thing, expected another and gave me no warning or no communication prior to slapping me with this default has that could massive ramifications finanical ramifications. I have seen the sticky post from the web team and have contacted then through that but ANY help WHATSOEVER would massively appreciated! I don't know what else to do :(

Jo

P.S. Apologies for such a lengthy message, just at the end of my tether!!

Vodafone have representation here, so they'll probably explain what they can do to assist.

However, a firm having a DDM on your account does not remove any responsibility for making a payment for money that is owed. It os often assumed that if a suppler has a DD and doesn;t take their money, it is tough on them. Sadly, the courts don;t see it this way, and the onus to pay remains with the consumer, and the fact a DD existed is irrelevant. (This of course make the 'advantages' of having a DD even less). Why bother, if you can be held responsible for THEIR errors?

Sad, but true.

Hi,

I do think Lee will be able to help you with this. From what you say it does seem unfair.

If you follow the instructions in the second post HERE

Make sure you update this thread with the autiomated reference number you will receive and Lee (or Kirsty) will be able to find you

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Jodavies

I had pretty much the same problem you are faced with, take a look at my posts.

I really dont like all this no notification of defaults being put against people, I can only assume some internal process at Vodafone (customers terminating contracts) needs some attention as it really can screw your life up and is so easily avoidable if Vodafone would just let people know of outstanding debts and other problems with terminated contracts. From what you have said I have every confidence that Lee and the lovely Kirsty :-) will sort this out.

Good luck and don't worry.

Regards

James

You need to put these 'defaults' in perspective. If you don't play the game according to the company you've got you contract with, they tell a third party company who will keep this information and pass it on to any of their clients who pay them to spill the beans. It's just bullying, nothing more.

lee anf the team at voda will sort this soon

just do as s ilver fox suggests

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Jo,

It's disappointing to hear of the difficulties you've experienced with getting this looked into previously but rest assured that as soon as we've located your email and the account this relates to we'll get to the bottom of things for you.

I'd firstly like to clarify that if a Direct Debit is left open after the cancellation of the airtime account we can still take payment of the final charges so please accept my apologies for the incorrect information in regard to this aspect of your case.

Having checked our emails this morning I'm afraid that I haven't been able to locate yours and so would be grateful if you late me know the reference number from your automated reply so I can check for it again.

Failing this, I'll PM you with alternative contact details.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Edited by Lee Vodafone Company Rep
Spelling error
  • Confused 1

Thank you all for responding so quickly, really appreciate everyone's help!

Lee, thanks for picking this up and also for the direct debit clarification. As soon as I received the letter from DLC last December I marched to the bank to check my direct debits - sure enough, the Vodafone direct debit was still active but nothing had been taken from my account since August, prior to the termination of my contract. I have no idea why the last payments weren't taken; the money was there, the DD was in place. I have sent you my account details in an email and will update this thread accordingly.

Buzby - I agree with you, however I thought that I was playing the game according to their rules, I did exactly what I was instructed to do. Evidently that was a naive thing to do, and I'll learn from it. In the meantime, I feel I can't just give up and settle with a substandard credit file because of Vodafone's miscommunication.

Jo

Have you contacted Vodafone via their link yet? If so, can you post up the auto reply reference.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

SUCCESS!

I am so so happy to report that this problem has been sorted out. Thank you so much to Lee and Kirsty for their prompt help and quick resolution of this issue. I can't believe I've gone from being on the brink of tears on the phone on Saturday (for the majority of the afternoon!) to having a lovely green credit report. Just checked on experian and my default has gone! The Direct Debit had been cancelled by Vodafone erroneously before they had taken final payments for that reason the default has been removed from my credit file. I am SO pleased with this result.

Again, Lee and Kirsty - thank you ever so much for sorting this out so quickly and smoothly and for your kind and timely correspondance, you have been brilliant and I appreciate this so much.

Kind regards

Jo

• Haha 1

lee and kirsty strike again

dont forget to hit the star on one of their post and add to their reputation

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Marking thread as resolved and posting a link in successes

• Haha 1

SUCCESS!

I am so so happy to report that this problem has been sorted out. Thank you so much to Lee and Kirsty for their prompt help and quick resolution of this issue. I can't believe I've gone from being on the brink of tears on the phone on Saturday (for the majority of the afternoon!) to having a lovely green credit report. Just checked on experian and my default has gone! The Direct Debit had been cancelled by Vodafone erroneously before they had taken final payments for that reason the default has been removed from my credit file. I am SO pleased with this result.

Again, Lee and Kirsty - thank you ever so much for sorting this out so quickly and smoothly and for your kind and timely correspondance, you have been brilliant and I appreciate this so much.

Kind regards

Jo

Hi Jo,

Thanks for updating your thread with this fantastic news.

Hopefully your loan will now go through smoothly for you.

All the best.

lee and kirsty strike again

dont forget to hit the star on one of their post and add to their reputation

dx

Cheers dx.

And thanks for doing the honours once again Fox.

Kind regards to all.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK