• Tweets

• More than 364,000 cases of fraud were recorded to the National Fraud Database in 2019 - the highest ever recorded View the full article
    • If its a domestic address and a normal account, thought they could only bill who is on the Tenancy agreement or Mortgage, as isn't a Tenancy in Common. if Joint tenancy and other party gone, didn't think children who have gained majority can be held liable, as not on any paperwork, apart from Electoral roll.  Is a Lodger liable?
    • Thank you so much for explaining that to me much appreciated 
    • It's not so bad then.  1250L is the standard tax code, and means he can earn £12500 pounds without paying tax, and then just pay tax on anything he earns over that amount.   Due to technically being out of work, and claiming UC, and now going back to work, the code is saying that he will pay tax on anything earned over £6500 pounds now, but it is under review and should change within the next 8-12 weeks, and if he has overpaid in the meantime, then it will be refunded via his paycheck.   The only reason for this is I am assuming that while shielding, his company did not keep him on the books.  If HMRC have got a record of him being on the books, and claiming UC, this will be them determining that he hasn't been trying to fraud the system by being paid as employed at the same time as claiming UC.  Once they clear that up, then they will correct the tax code.  So long as all his earnings and benefits all add up and they are happy then it will be back to normal.
    • Good Afternoon,   I am hoping to receive some advice regarding the below topic.   I was looking to purchase a property off-plan with a incentive attached and in order to secure this you pay a 'finder's fee'.     The fee was paid but then the property was un-mortgageable due to various reasons including the incentive being offered.   Having gone back to the agent to ask for a return of the finder's fee - they have refused saying that the incentive does not need to be disclosed and that essentially my broker is useless and I should use theirs!   Their broker also advised it would be hard to get a mortgage with the incentive disclosed which backs up what my broker has said.    This fee will now be kept on account.     I signed a form which confirms that the finders fee is non refundable - which was my error I should have checked if the property was mortgageable beforehand - however I wondered if there was anything I could do because:   The property is un-mortgageable - my broker tried all lenders including those who are happy with the incentive which was offered They have advised to withhold information which is clearly questioned in the mortgage application process   This is not a case of pulling out, this is a case that I cannot get finance and so cannot proceed.   Thanks in advance.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
padou

Fine and court action - Oyster Extension Permit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3577 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I was fined for travelling outside the zones covered by my travelcard without Oyster Extension Permit (OEP) .

Here are the facts :

- I had a zone 2 - 5 travelcard on my Oyster card

- I had £10 PAYG worth of credit on my Oyster card

- I travelled from East Croydon (z5) to London Bridge (z1) where barriers rejected my Oyster.

- I had done the same journey 2 days before without issue and countless times before that with no issues

I was totally confused when the inspector decided to fine me on the grounds that my ticket was not valid because I didn't have an OEP. The PAYG credit on my Oyster card was enough to cover my z5 - z1 journey. Up until that point, I had never heard of the OEP. After the fine, I called up a few friends to find out if they knew about OEP. None of them knew about it. I asked some railway station staff, they too were unsure what it was. How was I expected to know about OEP ?

I am not prepared to pay the fine. They are threatening to take me to court. So I'm preparing my defence. I'm hoping that the judge will see through OEP as a penalty fare revenue generator for rail companies.

I am interested in any information that can help me win the case if/when it is taken to court. Has anyone gone to court for a similar case? What should my main line of defence be ?

Thank You

Unfortunately you dont have a defence in law, when you obtained the oystercard you accepted the T&Cs.

Best case scenario if you allow it to proceed to court is an absolute discharge but it will still be a conviction for a strict liability offence.

You also can't mix prepay credit with that of a travel card, so unfortunately, even if you did have £20 PAYG on the card it wouldn't bear any relevance.

@SRPO and Stigy, thank you both for your replies.

I really do not think I should be fined for an obscure permit that nobody knows about. Before that fateful day, I had done that same trip several times under the same circumstances with no issues; each time I was correctly charged the additional fare for going through z1. There was no attempt to evade the fare or pay a lower than due fare. I was doing what I had done for 9 months without issues. Will the judge not consider this?

I am hoping that the judge will order a review of OEP as a result of this ...

The only judge likely to be involved is a district judge, which is the new name for a stipendary magistrate & they cant 'order' such a review, only express an opinion.

This will likely be charged as a strict liability & a judge cannot find you not guilty just because you say you have done it before with no problems. Forget 'fare evasion' this is not about that, its about being charged a penalty for having the wrong ticket.

To get to the stage of a judicial review (which does have such power) you will need to sell your's & your neighbour's houses to pay the legal fees.

I hate oyster & its complexity, although I agree with the principle, it is not fit for our transport system.

Yes, I echo the comments made by SRPO.

Ignorance of a rule cannot be used as a defence and the purchaser accepts the T&Cs when they purchase an Oyster.

The rules regarding OEPs are as follows:

If you travel outside the zones covered by your Travelcard you'll need to get an Oyster Extension Permit

Oyster Extension Permits

If you want to travel beyond the zones covered by your Travelcard on National Rail services within London you must set an Oyster Extension Permit on your Oyster card before you travel. This means you will use pay as you go once you've gone outside the zone.

• You can set your permit at any Tube or London Overground station ticket office or touchscreen ticket machine, Oyster Ticket Stops, some National Rail ticket offices or self-service ticket machines
  • You only need to set an Oyster Extension Permit when you start a journey within the zones covered by your Travelcard and want to travel outside those zones on National Rail
  • Only set your permit to your card just before you make your extension journey
  • You must have at least £1.50 pay as you go balance on your Oyster card to set one
  • A permit stays on your card until you touch out at the end of your journey
  • When touching out, the permit will be cleared from your Oyster card and the fare for the extension journey will be deducted from your pay as you go balance

If you travel beyond the zones covered by your Travelcard without an Oyster Extension Permit you may be liable to a penalty fare or prosecution.

I too think the Oyster system is unnecessarily complicated and in many ways it is unfit for purpose in terms of our London commuter area, but although they may be sympathetic and that might be reflected in their judgement, a DJ or Magistrates Bench cannot vary the law on that basis. It is a stict liability matter.

If you have received a Penalty Fare notice and fail to pay or to successfully appeal within the time period stated on it, the company may proceed to cancel the penalty fare option (allowed under the rules) and issue a Summons alleging your failure to pay the fare due.

Any Court would only be able to rule on that charge.