• Tweets

• No, but all you'd do is blindly run the statute barred date for another 18 months. Just sit on your hands until you get a letter of claim, then send a CCA request.  
    • Just like last time, Evri requested more time so they have another 2 weeks
    • Just an update, finance company rejected my complaint saying they've found damage but can't tell when it's from even though I've shown them how the front end is misaligned in the advert photos compared to another identical model car they're selling.  Dealership now want to charge me to get the car brought back to me but will only discuss over the phone which seems off. They're also saying no damaged was picked up by JLR main dealership before I purchased it but my local JLR dealerships till this day haven't mentioned the damage to me because they don't go into stuff like that for some reason lol  Ombudsman case is still open, not sure if I should leave the car with them or just pay to have it brought back.
    • Hi all, I get esa and pip,  I have £1200 in arrears that I owed my ex partner, I have been paying £100 per month to clear this debt that was setup by standing order, as I have complex needs I forgot about this standing order and have overpaid mainternance by around £4000, I told CSA I am happy for my ex partner to keep overpayment I do not wish to seek anything back, however they have declined to take of the sum of £1200 and are still saying I owe this to my ex partner. In my second question it was announced that pip would stop for mental health, I don't understand the link below Disability benefits system to be reviewed as PM outlines "moral mission" to reform welfare - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK The Prime Minister has outlined a package of sweeping reforms to put work at the heart of welfare and... Does this mean my money is going to stop? I have spoken to my key worker and I am already recieveing help from mental health team and complex needs team along with connections and mind, I just don't get what is going on.
    • No, i haven't had one for about 10+ years. I am thinking of just going to the court in person and pay at the counter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Fine and court action - Oyster Extension Permit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was fined for travelling outside the zones covered by my travelcard without Oyster Extension Permit (OEP) .

Here are the facts :

- I had a zone 2 - 5 travelcard on my Oyster card

- I had £10 PAYG worth of credit on my Oyster card

- I travelled from East Croydon (z5) to London Bridge (z1) where barriers rejected my Oyster.

- I had done the same journey 2 days before without issue and countless times before that with no issues

I was totally confused when the inspector decided to fine me on the grounds that my ticket was not valid because I didn't have an OEP. The PAYG credit on my Oyster card was enough to cover my z5 - z1 journey. Up until that point, I had never heard of the OEP. After the fine, I called up a few friends to find out if they knew about OEP. None of them knew about it. I asked some railway station staff, they too were unsure what it was. How was I expected to know about OEP ?

I am not prepared to pay the fine. They are threatening to take me to court. So I'm preparing my defence. I'm hoping that the judge will see through OEP as a penalty fare revenue generator for rail companies.

I am interested in any information that can help me win the case if/when it is taken to court. Has anyone gone to court for a similar case? What should my main line of defence be ?

Thank You

Unfortunately you dont have a defence in law, when you obtained the oystercard you accepted the T&Cs.

Best case scenario if you allow it to proceed to court is an absolute discharge but it will still be a conviction for a strict liability offence.

@SRPO and Stigy, thank you both for your replies.

I really do not think I should be fined for an obscure permit that nobody knows about. Before that fateful day, I had done that same trip several times under the same circumstances with no issues; each time I was correctly charged the additional fare for going through z1. There was no attempt to evade the fare or pay a lower than due fare. I was doing what I had done for 9 months without issues. Will the judge not consider this?

I am hoping that the judge will order a review of OEP as a result of this ...

The only judge likely to be involved is a district judge, which is the new name for a stipendary magistrate & they cant 'order' such a review, only express an opinion.

This will likely be charged as a strict liability & a judge cannot find you not guilty just because you say you have done it before with no problems. Forget 'fare evasion' this is not about that, its about being charged a penalty for having the wrong ticket.

To get to the stage of a judicial review (which does have such power) you will need to sell your's & your neighbour's houses to pay the legal fees.

I hate oyster & its complexity, although I agree with the principle, it is not fit for our transport system.

Yes, I echo the comments made by SRPO.

Ignorance of a rule cannot be used as a defence and the purchaser accepts the T&Cs when they purchase an Oyster.

The rules regarding OEPs are as follows:

If you travel outside the zones covered by your Travelcard you'll need to get an Oyster Extension Permit

Oyster Extension Permits

If you want to travel beyond the zones covered by your Travelcard on National Rail services within London you must set an Oyster Extension Permit on your Oyster card before you travel. This means you will use pay as you go once you've gone outside the zone.

• You can set your permit at any Tube or London Overground station ticket office or touchscreen ticket machine, Oyster Ticket Stops, some National Rail ticket offices or self-service ticket machines
  • You only need to set an Oyster Extension Permit when you start a journey within the zones covered by your Travelcard and want to travel outside those zones on National Rail
  • Only set your permit to your card just before you make your extension journey
  • You must have at least £1.50 pay as you go balance on your Oyster card to set one
  • A permit stays on your card until you touch out at the end of your journey
  • When touching out, the permit will be cleared from your Oyster card and the fare for the extension journey will be deducted from your pay as you go balance

If you travel beyond the zones covered by your Travelcard without an Oyster Extension Permit you may be liable to a penalty fare or prosecution.

I too think the Oyster system is unnecessarily complicated and in many ways it is unfit for purpose in terms of our London commuter area, but although they may be sympathetic and that might be reflected in their judgement, a DJ or Magistrates Bench cannot vary the law on that basis. It is a stict liability matter.

If you have received a Penalty Fare notice and fail to pay or to successfully appeal within the time period stated on it, the company may proceed to cancel the penalty fare option (allowed under the rules) and issue a Summons alleging your failure to pay the fare due.

Any Court would only be able to rule on that charge.