Fos say mercers is a separate company and not part of barclaycard

sweetjane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a big complaint going through FOS re Barclays & Barclaycard and their bad handling of someone in Financial Hardship.

One of my issues is harassment by Mercers but the FOS says "this is a new issue about a separate company". Can anyone confirm whether Mercers is part of Barclays or not? All I can find on the web linking them is a Consumer Credit Licence Register for Gothia Limited which has both Barclays and Mercers listed as current trading names. Both Mercers and Gothia Ltd are on the Companies House register. We all know if we ring the Mercers number (which I don't anymore) they answer "Barclays" and if you ring Barclaycard, you are magically put through to Mercers. What gives? Anyone know? Any advice greatly appreciated. :???::???::???:

CDCS is on the CCL Register under a long list for Barclays Bank plc

All the best, SJ

Hi Sweetjane,

Mercers are Barclaycard's primary in-house Debt Collection arm. They are definitely a part of BC and are not a separate company.

Calders are often BC's next in-house DCA.

Have you reclaimed all penalty charges on your BC a/c, including compound interest in restitution.

The FOS are not likely to get you the result you want and tend to side with the banks.

8-)

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks Slick, that's what I thought. It is all so secretive - why isn't there anything on their website. What are they so ashamed about. Yeah, I know the answer - their appalling debt collection practices. You're right about the FOS - they just seem to ignore the OFT guidance on debt collection and keep going on about the Lending Code. One of the clauses of the Lending Code is that banks should follow OFT Guidance but the FOS just seem to ignore that. It is SO FRUSTRATING!!! If anyone can find written proof from Barclays / Mercers on the net confirming the link with eachother - that would be great. I'd love something to send back to the FOS. BW, SJ.

Hi SJ,

Bc's link with Mercers, Calders is well known and is mentioned countless times in the BC threads. I believe Mercers don't actually exist as a trading entity with the company listed as dormant in the past.

However, I'd look beyond all this and the case with the FOS. As I said, you'll get little satisfaction from them.

Concentrate on reclaiming penalty charges and any PPI and seek compound interest in restitution on all amounts claimed.

You didn't say if there are penalty charges - please let us know.

8-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

We got some charges back in 2008 but I think we only asked for and got 8% so I will look back and see what we can do about that. I think we got about £300 total back. We are no longer paying interest because of financial hardship. The debt is over £9k and they've (both Mercers and Calders in the past) offered £4k as a settlement - not that we can afford that!

Anyhow thanks for your advice Slick. I'll look at the tutorial. SJ

The Tutorial Link isn't working at the mo but I'll get it back asap.

If you've reclaimed charges already, you cannot then go back and seek interest in restitution retrospectively. You have to claim it it the same time as the charges.

:|