Benefit entitlement Review PLZ HELP - im worried i will lose my home!

chedworth98
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi have had so much great advice from here seems more i get more i need , things are comin thick n fast ! ok here goes

i was made redundant in april this year after family business went into liquidation , i have huge personal debts from business and i have a mortgage. I was awarded income support in april as i have a 7yr old daughter and i am single parent , i was also awarded smi benefit which is covering mortgage as i had to put it too interest only. I have gone back to college full time to try and get some qualifications !! all was ok but now i have letter saying i need to be assessed because my daughter is 7 ... will i still be entitled to income supprt and smi ? there is no way i can afford mortgage payment without it . i am so frightened they were really horrible in my first interview and i came out in tears ... i have lost my job , my cars been repossessd , im in serious debt and getting brick walls constatntly ... if anybody can give me some advice what i am entitleted to i would really appreciate it xxx

Hi chedworth98, your smi will continue but you'll have to inform them of your change in circumstances i.e. being moved from I.S. for lone parents onto JSA.

I have gone back to college full time to try and get some qualifications !!
I think that there is bad news on this because you'll have to sign the "jobseeker's agreement" and this requires you to be available for work, furthermore, after a period on JSA they can oblige you to participate in some sort of "work programme" which may clash with your college attendance.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

duplication of the post above due to buggy forum software (hanging) failing to confirm successful post.

Edited by loan_ranger
duplication of the post above due to buggy forum software (hanging) failing to confirm successful post.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

hi thankyou , i have been trying to use the benefits advisor , but its too restricted , and it says im not eligible for jsa because im in college full time !!! i dont no if i can get another form of benefit ??? iv looked on student finance but because im doing an access to higher education it seems i cannot get mature students grant because u have to be at higher education level !! our system is pathetic i worked full time for 12yrs with no benefits and now i need a bit of help they kick ya while ya down. im trying to study to get a degree to be a social worker which is something they keep saying there is a lack of and there overworked no wonder if wont help anybody study for it !!! i came out of last interview feeling hopeless .... god knows what will happen on 28 th ... x

chedworth98 Re: Benefit entitlement Review PLZ HELP - im worried i will lose my home!

hi thankyou , i have been trying to use the benefits advisor , but its too restricted , and it says im not eligible for jsa because im in college full time !!! i dont no if i can get another form of benefit ???

This is what I thought but didn't dare to say, the move to JSA means that you'll be obliged by the rules to leave college or lose your benefits.

There may be a way around this e.g. the Open University.

About 10 years ago I got accepted by the OU and the course fees were covered by a bursary award from them because I was on a qualifying benefit.

i think this might get duplicated my original reply has just disappered lol !

what is the difference is jsa to income support ? apart from looking for a job but in money terms i will be on exactly the same pay ?? i did enquire to open uni but they said access course was better for the line of work i wanted and because of no qualifications ... who do you think i should ring ? will i be classed as benefit fraud for not declaring starting college ? i didnt think i had to because not recieved any grants or anything ... x Thanks for replying x

Hi Chedworth,

You should be able to stay on IS untill your course has finished,

your Lone Parent Advisor should confirm this for you when you attend your interview. It is important you attend your LPO interview because if you dont they will close your IS if you fail to attend twice,

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/lone-parent-pack.pdf

i think this might get duplicated my original reply has just disappered lol !
The forum board up-graded software really sucks!

what is the difference is jsa to income support ? apart from looking for a job but in money terms i will be on exactly the same pay ??

Flexible New Deal (see: an account of a real person's experience of a New Deal boot camp), the replacement schemes under the con/dems "work programme" and the possibility of doing "work for your benefits" could occupy you for 30-40 hours mon-fri, apart from that I believe that there are JSA rules whereby a claimant becomes ineligible if they are attending college.
i did enquire to open uni but they said access course was better for the line of work i wanted and because of no qualifications ... who do you think i should ring ? will i be classed as benefit fraud for not declaring starting college ? i didnt think i had to because not recieved any grants or anything ... x Thanks for replying x
Part of the JS Agreement is "being available for work", going to college is incompatible - sorry, but by their rules it might be bye bye benefits! While I was writing this MikeyD has come up with something more useful (above).

Regards "which course", talk to the OU and try to talk to an admissions adviser, explain your new situation and have your options reconsidered, perhaps a B.sc.(hons) psychology, social sciences or nursing may be appropriate to your chosen career path.

Edited by loan_ranger
added comments

I think the OP will able to stay on IS untill she has completed her full time education on the course she is enrolled on now. :)

If this lasts for one, two or three years then she is entitled to complete this course. BUT if she were to come off that course and starts another one then she will not be entitled to IS

the LPO officer should be able to advise her. ;)

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

update : went to benefit review , the women was new and lovely , there computer was not saying a date to come off income support even though my daughter is already severn she updated with college and said i will eventually get a letter to come off income and then we can discuss whats available , i may have already finishe college by then ! so all ok panic over but thanks for your advice anyway xxx