Insurance company won't return my hard drive

squidgearooney

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently had to send my laptop off to my insurance company as I had dropped it and the screen was smashed. A week later I received a letter saying that it was beyond economical repair and would be replaced once I paid £50 excess.

I phoned and asked about getting my hard drive back as it has important and personal information on it. I was told that my hard drive was now with a 3rd party company and that if I wanted it back I had to pay this 3rd party company £35.00, if I don't then they will destroy it.

I have checked my policy and nowhere does it say anything about giving my property to any 3rd party company or that I would have to pay to get it back.

Can anyone tell me where I stand with this as I want the hard drive back and I know £35 is not alot but I feel that I shouldn't have to pay to get back what is my own property.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance

Paul

Hi,

I recently had to send my laptop off to my insurance company as I had dropped it and the screen was smashed. A week later I received a letter saying that it was beyond economical repair and would be replaced once I paid £50 excess.

I phoned and asked about getting my hard drive back as it has important and personal information on it. I was told that my hard drive was now with a 3rd party company and that if I wanted it back I had to pay this 3rd party company £35.00, if I don't then they will destroy it.

I have checked my policy and nowhere does it say anything about giving my property to any 3rd party company or that I would have to pay to get it back.

Can anyone tell me where I stand with this as I want the hard drive back and I know £35 is not alot but I feel that I shouldn't have to pay to get back what is my own property.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance

Paul

Im afraid I dont have a deff answer but this doesnt sound right, I would of thought the laptop would still be your property, does it say anything about this in the small print at all ?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Theres nothing at all in the policy including the small print that even mentions this in any way shape or form. I sat and read through it all today, very boring!

I agree that it should be my property and if this was going to happen then they should have at least told me so in advance.

I am also thinking that as there is no mention of passing on my hard drive to anyone and that the hard drive contains private information then the insurance company could be breaking some data protection rules here.

Thanks

Paul

I would imagine that it works along the same as car insurance, where until total write off is accepted it still belongs to you. However maybe you should look at it as the cost incurred by your insurance company to get a firm to remove the harddrive and return it, and in addition as the harddrive will still be useful, it has a monetary value so they would be perfectly entitled to reduce the payout accordingly as they "sell it back to you". With that in mind £35 seems more than fair.

They are correct. In consideration for the replacement new machine, they will process this after you pay their excess. You have no rights to the hard drive, any memory cards or accessories fixed to the laptop. To get round this you needed to remove these parts prior to handing it over. If you had not taken a backup of your HD £35 in a fair price for this firm to extract the HD and ship it to you. As for not being told a 'third party' was involved, there is no requirement for them to do so either, many of their back office and support services will be outsourced. You didn;t think your insurers would be computers experts did you?

Before paying for the drive, make sure you has not already been reformatted to protect your identity, as mpaying this for a wiped HD is not a great idea....

wot he said.

Your own fault if you lose the data, it's plastered everywhere computer (and other) related sites, books and shops - 'make a backup of valuable data'. The backup tools are given free with the OS so no excuse.

wot he said.

Your own fault if you lose the data, it's plastered everywhere computer (and other) related sites, books and shops - 'make a backup of valuable data'. The backup tools are given free with the OS so no excuse.

This is true (just pointed this out to my parents, that should their hard drive suddenly die, there are many important docs that could be lost), although the real costs is the actual back up media, I use SDLT backup tapes but this certainly isnt a cheap option, external hard drives are cheaper but far from free. There are online backup options that are free, I have about 4gb free with my Virgin Media connection but it is rather naff.

Andy