• Tweets

• lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
    • Have to attend the hearing and present evidence of his financial position (income & expenditure) and  statements ,and agree an acceptable payment plan with the judges guidance.  It will be a form of redetermination hearing as already stated.The court will not agree to bailiffs if the financials do not reflect it or assetts are minimal. They just want to determine his true affordable disposable monthly figure....which will not be £10.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

court summons help from water bill co..

gwa70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i,ve received a court summons relating to northumbria water and £300 they say i owe them...

i,ve not received any letter from them about this and am at a loss as to where it has come from......i rang them but they refused to speak to me and said i must contact the solicitor involved..........

is there a template for a letter i can send requesting full details of this debt etc?

i have asked for 28 days with the court so need to start writing immediatlety...

is there any protocol regarding water co,s and debt in relation to what they are supposed to do before court action.........surely i,d receive a string of letters before this point.........

the address on the court papers is correct so i assume they have my correct address and any letters would arrive here......

any advice etc in dealing with this would be greatly appreciated

thanks

gary

Hello gwa

How do you normally pay your water bill, by direct debit?

So, have you sent an Acknowledgment of Service (AOS) to the Court?

You need to send a CPR 31.14/31.15 request letter to the claimant's Solicitors for disclosure of copies of documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim, they then must comply with your request in no more than 7 days.

As far as you are concerened, is your account with this untilities provider up to date?

Kind Regards

The Mould

• 3 weeks later...

hi...sorry for delay in replying...been waitingto hear from xourt and water board........to summarise....

i sent defence to court saying i needed the extra 28 days as i had no knowledge of the debt..

i also sent a cpr request to water board..

the court replied saying water board had 28 days to furnish all documents i,d asked for or claim would be stayed...

the WB replied eventually saying they were puzzled why i,d sent cpr request and tellignme that debt related to 2010-2011 statutory charges less a coupe of payments and with costs added on etc........they didn,t however send me any copies of bills or letters they claimed to have sent as reminder........surely the cpr request is asking for these so i can see official documents relating to the charges etc.....

the situation seems to have arisen when i changed bank accounts due to loosing my job and getting into financial problems.....my now ex partner said she would take over paying bills etc and i left it with her..............i then moved out of the area when i was offered work and left my house empty assuming she was paying bills.......i now know different...

any letters bills etc they sent never reached me and all i,m trying to determine is that the debt is true and accurate................they won,t speak to me on the phone and my job is in a secure unit where i have to leave my phone in my locker from 8 am to 5.30 pm by which time the solicitor involved is closed..........

so................i,d like to know what my best move is..............i have no problem paying off the debt once i establish it but what i,d like is for them to drop the court case.......i don,t want a ccj against me for something so trivial yet they seem reluctant to do the simple thing.................do i write back requesting the bill and reminders etc again or do i leave it and hope the court stays the case when 28 days is up...........if i write and admit liability now will they use this to obtain a ccj gainst me.......seems harsh when all i want to do is see some paperwork to satisy myself then agree to pay them off.......

cheers

thanks

Hello,

My wife worked for Thames Water and common principles appy.

Have a look at this link to ofwat, the industry regulator. Ofwat are helpful and proactive and the water co's don;t like dealing with them because of the paperwork involved which uses a lot of staff time and costs the company money.

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/problemspayingbill/gud_pro_custdebt20070327.pdf

The regulator says you must be treated fairly and certainly Thames would call off their solicitors if you made a payment offer. If you have problems contact Ofwat but remember that this does not stop the clock ticking with the court.

I would try to get a manager in their billing section to sort it out, most of the people on the phones have little sense or latitude in their actions.

You can always put in a holding defence to the court stating that the water co. have not provided you with the info you need under CPR so you cannot be certain that you owe them money.

If push comes to shove and it goes to court and you are told to pay up, do so within 28 days and it does not appear on any credit reference files. I think that when paying you need to get a certificate of satisfaction from the court.

Martin g

• 2 weeks later...

the water board are sending a copy bill so i,m happy that i owe them the money once i get the bill...................do i write to them direct and suggest a payment plan or to the court.............they have written the court asking that my defence be struck out as i its clear that i do owe them something..............how do i avoid a CCJ.............if i admit to the debt is this unavoidable if water board refuse to negotiate with me direct.............i can,t afford to pay the debt upfront as i,ve been out of work for a while and am working now but have yet to be paid so would only be able to offer installments...

latest from water board........they sent a letter saying that despite my cpr request they don,t really understand why i would want copy documents but they will send a copy of the bill to me............all the reminders and court threats etc cannot be sent as they "do not keep physical copies and are therefore are unable to send them"............

i genuienely have not seen any letters from them in realtion to this matter and can,t help think they have never been sent.............if i had seen reminders i would have arranged payment.....................whilst i obviously owe them the missed payments my arguement is why should i pay for fees and court costs when they cannot prove i was given notice of their intent.......etc..........is this a valid arguement if i agree to the outstanding bill but not to the costs incurred etc........................does anyone agree that the court will have to dismiss the fees that have occured as i don,t believe i wass ent reminders and therefore this was avoidable if the water co had sent out reminders....

any advice would be great as i need to file in next day or two as water board have moved to have my defence struck out...

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

received a letter today from local court with date for hearing to have my defence struck out........they are saying i was aware of the debt s therefore i have no defence..............i still have not received any paperwork whatsoever in relation to this despite my cpr reqeust......all i have is the water boards letter telling me how much i owe them..............any help on what i should do............am i right in thinking technically they are still in breach of cpr request and i can insist on them providing paperwork befor ei admit to anything.......i,d also like to have the costs struck out as per my lasy post........................anyone got any advice please

The only way you can avoid costs now is to win the case. However, it appears that you have no real prospect of winning the case - you admit that you do owe the money - so you will end up paying the costs.

Even if you could prove that the water board did not send the letters - it doesn't matter that you didn't receive them, it's whether they sent them or not that is important - this is no defence as you say that you do owe the money.

If you do want to try and avoid any costs then I suggest that you follow marting's advice in post #4 above and see what happens. However, since he suggested that to you almost a month ago I assume that you have already tried doing this.

thanks for the reply.......i tried to contact them by phone and they refised to speak to me.........said it had to be done by lettter....i wrote explaining that i could not admit to a debt that i wasn,t certain existed or was correct untill they provided me with the bills.stats etc to back up their claim........as per the cpr request...............they still have not done this........and seemingly refuse to..............therefore all i have is a letter from them saying you owe us this much..........i,m not denying they provide services here or that i do owe them money but my point is i need proof of the amount they claim..................they say refer to you bank account....this is an obsolete account i have no access to or have any old statements.................the law says the claimant must prove the amount claimed yet they refuse to do so...............surely this is a defence.............my case is 22nd dec and i can,t attend as i,m not in the area...........i would like to draft a letter to the court asking them to boot this out on the grounds the debt hasn,t been proved............can anyone help me with a simple wording or point to any case studis etc i can quote or should i just keep it simple and in laymans terms........

i don,t see why i should just admit to owing money on the strength of a letter.................these companies get it worng all the time and i want documented evidence..........i think i,m entitles to that a t least

thanks

Does the water company in your area have a trust fund? United Utilities where I live does and they often give grants for people for their water rates arrears when they are experiencing difficulties, particularly when they have just lost their job, become ill etc. Woth having a look.