Jump to content

Advice would be appreciated - ex-landlord using Debt Collector


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello all,


Firstly I hope I am posting under the correct section! and hope that someone may be able to offer some advice please.

To cut a long story short, I had real problems with my previous rented house, disrepair etc and had some serious rent arrears. Although I got environmental health involved about the disrepair, I left the house because I couldn't cope with all the stress and living conditions.

In January of this year I made an offer payment to my landlord of £20 a month which he would not accept. I then fell ill in February and lost my job so I haven't been able to afford to pay anything at all.

I have recently been contacted via a debt collection agency on behalf of my ex-landlord chasing the arrears plus there is an extra 2000 pounds or so added.(I don't know what this is for)


What sort of rules apply to debt collecting agencies under these circumstances? How do I deal with them and how can I dispute the total amount he is claiming I owe him?

Also, my ex-landlord gave the debt collectors my e-mail address, can the debt collecting company pass on my address details to my ex-landord? I don't want him knocking on my door.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stress


Heres some info on the Landlords Responsibilities, thats a good starting point :-




Your clearly disputing the monies owed. I wouldn't talk to them over the phone, keep all correspondence in writing.

Send all correspondence Recorded. What did Environmetal Health say?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Which DCA is involved of you don't mind saying?

Every journey begins with a single step :):)


Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.


If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You


The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA


Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,


I had some help from the local housing officer and Landlord started doing gas tests after I sent him a snotty letter, but then he stopped doing work. I was scared of being evicted whilst I was in there but eventually I'd just had enough so I contacted Environmental Health once I knew I had another property to move into. They assured me that it would be dealt with before the next tenants moved in. I do know that the house was completely gutted and refurbished central heating etc put in after I left.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...