Electoral Register & the Law?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have looked high and low for definitive answers to this question, both on here and on the net, but all I seem to get are some very biased results in that "You MUST register to vote BY LAW"

Now to be honest I have never been on the voters roll, ever, and this has not stopped me in any way from being able to obtain credit, something which seems to be one of the mainstay arguments for being on the register, nor have I been subject to ID theft, or any of the other seemingly empty arguments for being on the register.

This AM I had someone from the council ring my entry phone asking 'Is that number XXXX?'

"Yes"

'I'm from the council and were going round getting the details of all those in the area who are not registered on the voters roll, can I come in or meet you at the front door to obtain your details or give you some information?"

'Er......I'm not interested thank you'

"But you have to be registered it's the Law"

'I really don't care, as I say I am not interested thank you!'

"well can I just give you some information at the front door then?"

'No sorry, I am not interested'

After I hang up, half expecting him to ring again, I rang the LA and asked them if they were sending people out to collect non registered voters information, "Oh yes, I'm one of the ones doing it as well"

Oh thats OK then, I needn't call the Police to inform them of bogus cold callers in the area.

That aside, and the fact that the LA sends out forms for householders to fill in to be put on the register anyhow, plus you do have to wonder why DCA's CRA's with the help of Royal Mail, are able to share information to track down alleged debtors, why does the council who has a database of all of it's residents who pay council tax still sends out blank voters register forms "To the occupier"? Completely baffles me, but my main question is, who has been taken to court and fined the £1000 they quote, for failing to be registered to vote?

As I say, they have never bothered in the last 21 years of my not being registered, to ever attempt to force me onto the voters roll.

I mean it was only this year I bought a TV licence, I certainly have no desire to be on any other database where details are sold to any tom dick or harry.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

You are legally required to register on the electoral role (if your household receives the usual census form). However, you do not have to vote. There is a maximum fine of £1000 of your Great British Pounds for non compliance, but this has very rarely been enforced (in fact, I don't think it has ever been enforced but the law still stands). It is also still illegal to buy fish on a Sunday and on the same day, you cannot wear a false nose (taken from the book of Silly Laws That Never Got Changed But Still Stand).

And there are a lot more where they came from (I may start a new thread about crap laws).

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Yes a bit like In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time. I understand that there is a law about being forced to register on the voters roll, just wondered where exactly I stood in relation to me telling the Council that I will not comply with their demands, as yesterday I had one telling me I had to "It's the Law", and he couldn't understand that "'I don't care, I'm not interested' merely repeated "It's the Law".

I wonder if I can complain to the council for cold calling?......:decision:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Councils hold two versions of the electoral register,a full one and an edited one.

Since an amedment in the law in 2002 you can ask for your address not be shown.

Anyone can buy the edited version and use it for any purpose.

If my memory serves me correctly it purpose to begin with was for jury selection,if you were not on it it could be seen as avoidance.

I don't know of a case where anyone has been prosecuted for non compliance............but with push for everyone to be on it who knows what will come in the future.

Of course now it can used to check your address when you apply for credit.

It can also be used for law enforecment.

The basis now is just to spy on you.........bottom line.

Hence the reason i'm NOT on it and have'nt been for many years.

Cold calling..........i like that BB:lol:

You'd think my LA would know who lives at this address by now, the amount of complaints I put their way, I am one of those Grumpy 'old' men, at 37!

I'm going to check up on the new cold calling law and see if I can't shoe horn it into my complaint to them....it's good to moan.

You'd think my LA would know who lives at this address by now, the amount of complaints I put their way, I am one of those Grumpy 'old' men, at 37!

I'm going to check up on the new cold calling law and see if I can't shoe horn it into my complaint to them....it's good to moan.

They do know who lives at your address,it's just more threats to get us to conform.They don't cross reference council tax data witht the electoral roll.

Moaning relieves stress...........If your a grumpy old man at 37............i must be an old bat at just over a half century:lol:.

I used the cold calling law on a guy that called the other day from EON.

Iv'e put a sign up in my window with a picture of my german shepherd......No cold callers welcome......i can make the gate in 2 seconds........can you?

I had one but was told to take it down?

"Twice a week I clean my Shotgun in the kitchen........which days? YOU DECIDE"

I did tell the Officer, that I don't have a shotgun, and I would certainly never clean it where I prepare food anyway!