Car Hire Company Report Car stolen for 1mth missing payment!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here. I have to report to my local station this evening on bail conditions.

I hired a car for my long journeys to work as my car was dying. The car hire company have known me for 10yrs and we are on first name terms with them. They know who my kids are and who I work for etc etc.

Anyway, I was driving to work on the motorway on 3rd Oct and I was pulled over by police, they then arrested me for being in possession of a stolen vehicle! I said there must be a mistake I pay the car every week on my card which they have in the office and they haven't told me it's been declined or anything. Nope they wouldn't listen, they wouldn't even let me ring the hire car office to pay for it there and then on the motorway.

My collegue who was also in the car was also told not to contact the hire company and they left him totally stranded!!!

I was arrested and put in a cell for 5 hours sobbing my heart out and terrified that I'd go to prison, even though I knew there had to be a simple error along the way.

After hours and hours I was interviewed and told that the company had been putting my card through for the past couple of weeks and they had to do what's called a forced payment, no idea what they meant. Anyway, they then proceeded to tell me the hire people went to the address they held on file for me to be told by the tenant I'd moved over a year ago. Which I had. I explained to the office yes I'd moved several times in 4 years trying to find the ideal rental property for my kids, no crime. But I hadn't changed my licence, my fault and yes it's a crime now. But the car hire people hadn't asked me for my licence due to them knowing me really well and the one they had in the office was years old due to them never asking me and due to the fact I'd moved 5 times and hired a van with them they obviously KNEW I'd moved lots! So partly their fault partly mine.

I was then told to report to my local station (tonight) and see what happens then. But NOT to contact hire company, so I can write to pay the £400 off! I'm so scared that one, I will lose my job if charged with stealing a car, two, go to prison for this stupid stupid mistake.

To top this stupid story off, once home and calm I then realised why the car had to be forced through!!!! I got a NEW card from NATWEST and hadn't changed it over for the car, I'M SO STUPID. I work a 16hour day my job consumes my life 24/7 and at times I just don't think about day to day stuff. My boss thinks it's ridiculous and said just pay it and that's it.

But the police say it's not..........they say I have alot of personal debt and they will be looking into it!!! It's council tax arrears I WAS on benefits managed to get off them by getting a good job and trying to repay what I can, not a crime, or so I thought.

Local solicitors can't help me!!! I could cry, I'm terrified that if I lose my job or worse go to prison I will end up on benefits again and my kids will suffer.

Please help, anyone!

I didn't receive any replies to my original post, but I just thought I would let everyone know. I went to my local police station and they were dumbfounded at the ridiculous situation. Long and short of it is, they don't see it as a criminal offence, I didn't steal the car and it's now a matter between me and lease company, pay the missing payment and end of. WHEW