Absolutely ridiculous and angry: landlord counterclaim £3200! Please advise/help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After 3.5 years tenancy and good relationship with the landlord, true face of him started unfolding the moment I handed over the keys:

I offered £400 to be deducted out of total £2000 deposit. He refused and counterclaimed total of £3100

Key areas in his defense and counterclaim

1. Being negligent during the tenancy period (he took some photo after I moved out and attach them as evidence) - however, he did not mention the cleanness of the flat until 2 months before I move out, when a major water tank breakdown happened

2. Performed a series of work after I moved out (being deep clean kitchen, regroute tiles in bathroom, reinstatement of floor etc), which summed a total amount of £2286, an invoice from a property management company not in the same region, which also doesn't have VAT number and corporate email address

3. Also claimed used 10 hours property management hours which is charged at £75 per hour

Key area in my claim and defence:

1. No inventory list when moved into/out the property

2. No professional cleaning was done when moved in vs. employed a professional cleaner and paid £150 when moved out

3. No wear and tear mentioned in the L pack (the property is 15 years old and had 2 major water tank breakdown and leakage over last two years)

Additional information:

The property is in London. Rent was less than £2083. Tenancy agreement is breaking down as:

1. Jan/07 - Nov/07: Me and another friend Mr A

2. Nov/07 - Jun/08: Me, my gf and another friend Miss B

3. Jun08 - Jul/10: Me and my gf

£2000 deposit was put into DPS at the beginning of agreement 2, i.e. Nov07

When agreement 1 and 2 ended, the landlord did not perform any due dilligence check like the one he did on me (agreement 3), which is not fair and prejudiced on me.

Also, I know the L has certain unethical/dodgy tax evasion related to his tax return and business. Don't know if they are relevant/reliable when submitting my claim/defence package to the court.

Overall I am very angry and sick of being intimidated by such landlords. I am hard working and honest professional. I believe my £400 deposit return to him is reasonable and his charge on me is absolutely ungrounded.

Thanks for reading the post and please advise/help (or even have different opinion)

Landlord will lose. Items 1, 3 and the additional info you provide totally kybosh any claim from him.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!