• Tweets

• thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • Good evening folks, i have my hearing tomorrow at 3pm. I have never been to court for a civil matter, what is likely to happen  and what do i need to do?  I plan on going straight from work, i finish at 2pm, it will take about half an hour to get there, does that sound ok? I called the court late this afternoon, sadly i was too late in the day and the office was closed.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The Spending Review...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you take the Daily Mail per chance?

No. Do you take the Mirror?

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over to Fred the Bigot...............

What!!!!

What exactly in my statements has led to that ignorant and utterly defamatory allegation? Learn how to use the English language properly, in particular the use of paragraphs and maybe, just maybe, somebody might take your point seriously. In the meantime, perhaps you would like to explain to the world how it is that making a serious point in a mild manner means that I am bigoted.

I wait more in hope than expectation because, having read your rant, I really don't think you have sufficient intelligence.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Tough on paragraphs

Tough on the causes of paragraphs

... but soft on grey matter.

Where have you all been these last years??.

Suffering under the Labour Tax and Spend regime.

This deficit was caused by Gordon Brown (you got something right at least) propping up the totally incompetent banking industry to stop everyone’s world from collapsing around their ears!. By pouring money into industry to stop the inevitable collapse of companies thus creating massive unemployment and reducing interest rates in order to slash the cost of your mortgages (If I didn't have a mortgage I'd be one more person in need of social housing - what's wrong with that?) in order to keep you in your homes! (who keeps you in your home?).

This tactic was adopted by every other country in the so-called free world with various twists to suit those countries. Alistair Darling also warned us that there would be a price to pay but that would not be paid until the economy was back on a firm footing because to rush into the wrong actions too soon would inevitably push us back into a recession and if you check back you will see that his predictions for growth are pretty well on track. It's a pity that Gordon wouldn't listen to Alistair isn't it?

Before the last election many of us who had suffered at the hands of the ****** tories, and some of us are still paying, tried to warn you about the dangers of putting these cretins back into power. There were many other areas that gormless george and dopey dave could have tackled without firstly creating a rage, amongst their supporters and other braindeads, against anyone who needs help from the benefit system. How far back do you want to go? I remember 1979 and the winter of discontent, rubbish in the streets, strikes every day, runaway inflation etc. etc. We all suffered then - under Labour.

If the payment of housing beneift is so disgraceful why does gormless george claim £23,500 a year in mortgage interest and his mate dopey dave £20,500 a year for properties that they rarely visit and charge us for the expense of running those properties when they themselves don't use them. Multiply this by 650 and that amounts to a great saving. (I see that maths isn't your strongpoint either then. Multiply 650 x 2 and you get 1,300 - double the number of MPs that we actually have. I presume that you mean 650 x 1 which I am sure even you could work out - and that would include the Labour MPs you are so keen on then?) Why not initiate a massive house building programme using the available labour thus creating jobs, reducing homelessness and bringing in taxes to help with the cost?. Good point, but who would occupy these houses? Why not stop paying all those people who, like the rats they are, left this country shouting how rotten it is but retaining their passports, just in case - eg Spain last year and still drawing pensions and benefits from this rotten country (made so by the last government). Why not make paying taxes compulsory and making avoidance illegal as well as evasion. Why not indeed?

Why not a windfall tax on estate agents and homeowners who, whilst now name calling Labour, sat on their arses and saw their home increase by 4 and 5 times the greatest rate of increase in history,, all unearned income! (A house increasing in value does not generate income. Sorry, but that's so simple a fact that even you ought to be able to understand it. Why not add an extra tax on people who place a burden on the social housing stock instead? I don't believe in that but it's just as valid an arugment). There were many other ways of attacking the deficit other than attacking the poor, weak and defenceless but then that is the measure of your average tory, witness the obscene cheering from those tossers in the commons. Witness the obscene cheering from the tossers on the Labour benches when , for instance, fox hunting was "banned" - class hatred at it's worst. I don't believe in fox hunting either by the way.

Why not tax the media to the hilt because they create the most trouble in this country folowing the maxim " don't let the truth spoil a good story!" ( anyone read any apologies to Tony Blair re: the " murder " of Dr. Kelly?? ). Any sign of an apology from Tony Blair for causing the suicide of Doctor Kelly or the killing of several hundred thousand Iraqis? Good idea by the way - tax the BBC. Then we can all pay an increased TV licence fee.

As for those who, apparently get their ideas from the media I feel sorry for you if you cannot work it out for yourself and you need someone to lead you by the nose!. You of course come to your conclusions entirely independently, without reference to newspapers, radio or television. Quite how you learn what is going on in the world or how you form your misguided opinions the rest of us can only guess at. I think what you really mean is that everybody who doesn't read the Mirror is wrong.

Over to Fred the Bigot...............

Back to you Einstein.

Where have you all been these last years??. This deficit was caused by Gordon Brown propping up the totally incompetent banking industry to stop everyone’s world from collapsing around their ears!. By pouring money into industry to stop the inevitable collapse of companies thus creating massive unemployment and reducing interest rates in order to slash the cost of your mortgages in order to keep you in your homes!. This tactic was adopted by every other country in the so called free world with various twists to suit those countries. Alistair Darling also warned us that there would be a price to pay but that would not be paid until the economy was back on a firm footing because to rush into the wrong actions too soon would inevitably push us back into a recession and if you check back you will see that his predictions for growth are pretty well on track.. Before the last election many of us who had suffered at the hands of the ****** tories, and some of us are still paying, tried to warn you about the dangers of putting these cretins back into power. There were many other areas that gormless george and dopey dave could have tackled without firstly creating a rage, amongst their supporters and other braindeads, against anyone who needs help from the benefit system. If the payment of housing beneift is so disgraceful why does gormless george claim £23,500 a year in mortgage interest and his mate dopey dave £20,500 a year for properties that they rarely visit and charge us for the expense of running those properties when they themselves don't use them. Multiply this by 650 and that amounts to a great saving. Why not initiate a massive house building programme using the available labour thus creating jobs, reducing homelessness and bringing in taxes to help with the cost?. Why not stop paying all those people who, like the rats they are, left this country shouting how rotten it is but retaining their passports, just in case - eg Spain last year and still drawing pensions and benefits from this rotten country. Why not make paying taxes compulsory and making avoidance illegal as well as evasion. Why not a windfall tax on estate agents and homeowners who, whilst now name calling Labour, sat on their arses and saw their home increase by 4 and 5 times the greatest rate of increase in history,, all unearned income!. There were many other ways of attacking the deficit other than attacking the poor, weak and defenceless but then that is the measure of your average tory, witness the obscene cheering from those tossers in the commons. Why not tax the media to the hilt because they create the most trouble in this country folowing the maxim " don't let the truth spoil a good story!" ( anyone read any apologies to Tony Blair re: the " murder " of Dr. Kelly?? ). As for those who, apparently get their ideas from the media I feel sorry for you if you cannot work it out for yourself and you need someone to lead you by the nose!. Over to Fred the Bigot...............

My eyes are bleeding - my brain hurts

If I could read it I suspect there might something in it - from a quick scan before my brain exploded it seems to be a rant against politicians generally - no problem there then...

Edited by SteveH2508
more thoughtful

My eyes are bleeding - my brain hurts

If I could read it I suspect there might something in it - from a quick scan before my brain exploded it seems to be a rant against politicians generally - no problem there then...

I preferred the unedited version. Needless to say, he wasted it.

Me too BB, although I don't think it will stay that way forever. The Times was the first to start charging and I expect others will follow suit in the not-too-distant future.

OK, I HOLD MY HANDS UP REGARDING THE PARAGRAPHS - SMACKS WRIST AND HANGS HEAD IN SHAME!.

Right Fred, I will try to answer your snide remarks in turn but I do feel they will fall on stony ground!.

Don't try to twist the sentences Fred, you know that I said the GB caused the deficit as a result of his reactions to the WORLD WIDE CRISIS BROUGHT ON BY THE INTERNATIONAL BANKING DOLLOPS. Casting aside your destructive criticism and be constructive. What would you have done given the circumstances?, ignored it all, allowed the banks to crash?, watched your job disappear and your home repossessed?. Because what GB did was designed to stop that happening to you. you just refuse to acknowledge it!.

Your mortgage payment was reduced as a consequence of the Government cutting interest rates meaning that you are being helped by the Government to stay in your home just like someone receiving housing benefit.

I get help with housing benefit because private rents soar at a faster rate than private house prices. Total annual income for this pensioner couple is £10,100 with rent at £6900pa and rising at £50 per month per annum. Do I feel ashamed, no, if you can have help to stay in your home why shouldn't I after all I have paid my taxes for the last 55 years.

GB and AD didn't rush into any rash actions that would delay or destroy the recovery and they both explained it all. Where were you?.

You want to go back?, OK. Maggie Thatcher caused the destruction the british manufacturing sector for all time, she, almost, caused the annihilation of the Royal Navy down in the Falklands and gave away the PUBLICLY owned social housing stocks so desperately needed today. How about john major, 6 million unemployed including 2.5 million put on AA, 16% housing repossessions.

Come now Fred, you know there are 650 MP's in Parliament and the point being made was the sheer hypocrisy of two multi millionaires creating a public outrage against the poor on benefits when they themselves are cheating the public purse by thousands of pounds more!.

Now you are being silly!. Shall we start with the 55,000 people on housing lists in Devon and Cornwall alone. Get a grip man!.

I include my own family in my comments about deserting the ship as they all buggered of to OZ and NZ but at least they have become naturalised citizens of those countries yet they still claim pensions from this country and that is totally wrong,IMHO.

Agreement, at last, do people really believe that the rich pay taxes??.

This area is full of people who were given their council houses for £30K in London, sold them for 250K - 300K came down here paid over the odds for a local house, stuck 100K in the bank and assumed they are the lord and lady of the manor and attempt to turn Cornwall into London. That is turning assets into income is it not ?.

How do you place a burden on housing stocks?.

Class hatred, you'll be coming up with that other silly statement about envy next. In that case the cheering was the defeat of the Royal Mounted Cowards - 40 riders, 50 dogs versus 1 fox. get real fred!.

Come off it Fred, the greatest amount of civilian deaths were caused by their own neighbours and foreign mercenaries. It was only yesterday was it not that Wikileak said that the coalition forces were responsible for around 120,000 deaths over 6 years. Given that Saddam was bumping them off at 180 - 190,000 a year then 20,000 ,whilst being 20,000 too many, was a great reduction.

I don't read any newspapers nor belong to any communist parties, you right wing todders and your reds under the bed do make me larf!, but being a disabled old git I do have the time to watch parliament and its commitees in action and get to hear EXACTLY what is said and, therefore, do not need to listen to someone elses opinion as to what was said or indeed listen to and read total lies about what was said. eg Jon Sopel for the BBC in the 'Stan just before the election. Trying to s**t stir for Labour interviews the Lt, Colonel in charge of helicopters in the 'Stan He asks the Col; " you must be really concerned about Labours' failure to supply enough helicopters for you here in the ;Stan " replies the Col; " I have more than enough helicopters to fulfill all operational requirements and more on the way ". Throaty cough from Sopel and the interview was never shown again on the BBC, yes I did watch out for its repeat!. If you were of a fair mind you will have been aware that the BBC have " been after " TB since their Chairman had to resign after his third attempt to discredit TB over the cock up by the intelligence services over Iraq.

Finally, hooray he shouts, : BIGOT - A PERSON WHO IS UTTERLY INTOLERANT OF DIFFERING CREED, BELIEF OR OPINION.

sounds a bit like me really............

Sorry about the delay in editting this but grandson jumped on me and I hit the wrong button. Over to you Fred..............

Edited by FCC

Right Fred, I'll try to answer your snide remarks in order but I suspect that they will fall on stony ground.

Don't twist the sentences. I sais that GB caused the deficit as a result of his reactions to the CRISIS THAT AFFECTED EVERY COUNTRY

I'm not sure what you expect when you make defamatory remarks, but I'm certainly going to respond to each and every cretinous comment made against me. As for replying, I wouldn't bother if I were you - you'll probably make a fool of yourself like you did first time around.

I know what you said first time - unwittingly you managed to hit the nail on the head. Brown's incompetence and mismanagement of the economy went on for years before the credit crunch.

BB, I don't know how you get the impression that I'm 'one of the fortunate'. I'm skint and being chased by debt collectors just like everyone else on here. I'm really not sure what it is you think that I have that everybody else doesn't, because it certainly isn't money. I'm happy enough with my life apart from the finances though.

I'm not going to sit idly by while some thick git calls me a bigot. Once the cretin has apologised for making that remark, I will stop showing his or her arguments up for the puerile crap that they are. I really don't see why I should let an outrageous remark like that go unanswered.

Regards.

Fred

Don't try to twist the sentences Fred, you know that I said the GB caused the deficit as a result of his reactions to the WORLD WIDE CRISIS BROUGHT ON BY THE INTERNATIONAL BANKING DOLLOPS. Casting aside your destructive criticism and be constructive. What would you have done given the circumstances?, ignored it all, allowed the banks to crash?, watched your job disappear and your home repossessed?. Because what GB did was designed to stop that happening to you. you just refuse to acknowledge it!.

Brown cocked up the economy long before the international banking crisis. Two words - 'pensions' and 'gold' sum it all up really.

Your mortgage payment was reduced as a consequence of the Government cutting interest rates meaning that you are being helped by the Government to stay in your home just like someone receiving housing benefit.

It wasn't the government that cut interest rates, it was the Bank of England who are independent from the government. For the first few years of the Labour government, my interest rates went up and up and up - but again, it was the Bank of England that made the decision, not the government. Before you point it out, I am fully aware that Brown made them independent - one of the few things he ever got right.

I get help with housing benefit because private rents soar at a faster rate than private house prices. Total annual income for this pensioner couple is £10,100 with rent at £6900pa and rising at £50 per month per annum. Do I feel ashamed, no, if you can have help to stay in your home why shouldn't I after all I have paid my taxes for the last 55 years.

I haven't said that you should feel ashamed, but I don't see why I should get penalised for having my own home - it seems to me that you do think this way though.

GB and AD didn't rush into any rash actions that would delay or destroy the recovery and they both explained it all. Where were you?.

Brown wouldn't rush into any decisions because a) he was a ditherer and b) he wanted to con the public into voting for him again. Darling wanted to do the right thing but Brown wouldn't let him and even wanted to replace him with Balls. I was probably at home or at work.

You want to go back?, OK. Maggie Thatcher caused the destruction the british manufacturing sector for all time, she, almost, caused the annihilation of the Royal Navy down in the Falklands and gave away the PUBLICLY owned social housing stocks so desperately needed today. How about john major, 6 million unemployed including 2.5 million put on AA, 16% housing repossessions.

IMF bailouts, 30% inflation, bodies unburied, rubbish uncollected - and so the list goes on.

Come now Fred, you know there are 650 MP's in Parliament and the point being made was the sheer hypocrisy of two multi millionaires creating a public outrage against the poor on benefits when they themselves are cheating the public purse by thousands of pounds more!.

Of course, Milliband, Balls, Shaun Woodward et al are all paupers aren't they? I think you'll find that some of the last set of cabinet minsters were among the worst when it came to ripping off the public. I agree in one sense that politicians are in it for themselves, but just shouting 'Tory toffs' or something similar is not much of an argument, especially when we know full well that Labour would have done pretty much the same.

Now you are being silly!. Shall we start with the 55,000 people on housing lists in Devon and Cornwall alone. Get a grip man!.

I'm not being silly. I'm just wondering how many of the new houses would go to British people and how many would go to newly-arrived immigrants.

I include my own family in my comments about deserting the ship as they all buggered of to OZ and NZ but at least they have become naturalised citizens of those countries yet they still claim pensions from this country and that is totally wrong,IMHO.

It's happened before - people go when they are being taxed to the hilt like they were under the last Labour government. Who can blame them? I agree that they shouldn't be entitled to benefits when they live abroad but this is just one of the idiocies of the way we are governed in this country

Agreement, at last, do people really believe that the rich pay taxes??.

This area is full of people who were given their council houses for £30K in London, sold them for 250K - 300K came down here paid over the odds for a local house, stuck 100K in the bank and assumed they are the lord and lady of the manor and attempt to turn Cornwall into London. That is turning assets into income is it not ?.

My house has increased in value since I bought it 13 years ago. I haven't made a penny in profit from that increase and never will, so why should I be taxed on it?

How do you place a burden on housing stocks?.

By using them. I don't, therefore I don't.

Class hatred, you'll be coming up with that other silly statement about envy next. In that case the cheering was the defeat of the Royal Mounted Cowards - 40 riders, 50 dogs versus 1 fox. get real fred!.

Like I said, I'm not a supporter of fox hunting, but it's quite clear that this was just a typical piece of nasty Labour class warfare in action.

Come off it Fred, the greatest amount of civilian deaths were caused by their own neighbours and foreign mercenaries. It was only yesterday was it not that Wikileak said that the coalition forces were responsible for around 120,000 deaths over 6 years. Given that Saddam was bumping them off at 180 - 190,000 a year then 20,000 ,whilst being 20,000 too many, was a great reduction.

OK, so Blair didn't kill as many as Saddam. That will be a great relief to him and all his supporters.

I don't read any newspapers nor belong to any communist parties, you right wing todders and your reds under the bed do make me larf!, but being a disabled old git I do have the time to watch parliament and its commitees in action and get to hear EXACTLY what is said and, therefore, do not need to listen to someone elses opinion as to what was said or indeed listen to and read total lies about what was said. eg Jon Sopel for the BBC in the 'Stan just before the election. Trying to s**t stir for Labour interviews the Lt, Colonel in charge of helicopters in the 'Stan He asks the Col; " you must be really concerned about Labours' failure to supply enough helicopters for you here in the ;Stan " replies the Col; " I have more than enough helicopters to fulfill all operational requirements and more on the way ". Throaty cough from Sopel and the interview was never shown again on the BBC, yes I did watch out for its repeat!. If you were of a fair mind you will have been aware that the BBC have " been after " TB since their Chairman had to resign after his third attempt to discredit TB over the cock up by the intelligence services over Iraq.

Blair lied about the threat to this country because his tongue was wedged solidly in Dubya's backside. There is no getting away from that and never will be. One day, hopefully, that deceitful b*****d will be called properly to account for what he did. That man was, still is, a liar through and through.

Finally, hooray he shouts, : BIGOT - A PERSON WHO IS UTTERLY INTOLERANT OF DIFFERING CREED, BELIEF OR OPINION.

sounds a bit like me really............

Yes, it does.

Sorry about the delay in editting this but grandson jumped on me and I hit the wrong button. Over to you Fred..............

Fred

Wow. Just wow.

No one likes the spending cuts. That is the probably the only conclusion that we can reach which everyone will agree with.

It is also undeniable that spending cuts are needed - the only question is, how quick/deep should we cut and by being brutal, are we causing more harm than good? No one seems to know and I would submit that even George Osborne himself is slightly unsure as to how it will all pan out. The IFS seems reserved on the plan. It said that the Spending Review is "more regressive than progressive" and pointed out that the review was also unfair - resulting in the poorest and super rich being worse of... and out of those two categories, it is the poorest overall who will feel more aggrieved at the cuts.

Of course, when the IFS became public over its concerns, we were told that the government: "fundamentally disagree with the IFS" and that it's findings were "complete nonsense." It's amazing to think that George Osborne once described the IFS as a: "credible independent voice on the public finances, taxation and public spending." How times change eh?

I do doubt the speed at which these cuts are being made. I also think that while a lot of the cuts are needed, the Conservatives have also used the economic climate as an excuse to fulfil a deep rooted desire to disrupt the welfare state in all of it's forms. When the chancellor announced the plans, the Tory MPs were shouting for more. For more?! These are cuts that will adversely affect the poorest and most vulnerable. Cuts which Cameron pretends he hates having to make.... yet his backbenchers couldn't get enough!

Oh, and as for who caused this... Spending under Labour was reckless. This was made worse by the banking crisis. The banking crisis was, to be fair, international.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the bail out of the banks was followed by Europe and the US. A leading economist praised the action, stating that Brown and Darling "may have shown us the way through this crisis."

Ok its time for my fourpenny worth on this. I do find it intersting that Fred gets all idignant when somebody accused him of being a bigot, and then implies that anyone who doesnt vote tory is a "trot". As someone who falls into that category can I now get on the moral high ground?

It is intersting how the government are now discrediting the IFS now they have pointed out something that the majority of people in this country know to be true and that is that the cuts will affect the poorest portion of society. It is intersting to note that the winner of the nobel prize for economics has stated what Labour have been saying. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/10/24/george-osborne-has-exaggerated-and-it-could-cost-us-1-million-jobs-115875-22654755/

Don't get me on governmental history - one of my old 'sidelines'.... whichever government in power manipulates figures and people to suit its own agenda, hidden or otherwise (and agenda is used in the plural here in its true Latin form)

Class, structure and the status quo are all relative depending on which sector and which side of the fence you are in.

The silliest thing is them cutting jobs in the public sector waiting for the private sector to soak up the people at a minimal wage - and where is the money going into the private sector (it isn't - people cannot get loans to pay wages or keep their shops open) and where are the private sector jobs - being cut because they cannot be sustained now the fat cats have lost out in the property stakes.

Rant over for today.

Maggie Thatcher caused the destruction the british manufacturing sector for all time, she, almost, caused the annihilation of the Royal Navy down in the Falklands and gave away the PUBLICLY owned social housing stocks so desperately needed today.

Oh yes.... didn't she just?! Even though I was much younger at the time, I still found myself wondering if the ridiculously expensive move to bed & breakfast was more about teaching the little people a lesson while their much-needed social housing was being flogged for peanuts. The world has been a bleak place ever since, IMO.... and unemployment figures have been massaged for years; to hide the true cost of those on Income Support and disability allowances which conveniently for our Gov., have never been included in official stats....

I do doubt the speed at which these cuts are being made. I also think that while a lot of the cuts are needed, the Conservatives have also used the economic climate as an excuse to fulfil a deep rooted desire to disrupt the welfare state in all of it's forms. When the chancellor announced the plans, the Tory MPs were shouting for more. For more?! These are cuts that will adversely affect the poorest and most vulnerable. Cuts which Cameron pretends he hates having to make.... yet his backbenchers couldn't get enough!

Absolutely..... the Benefits bill has risen more than they'd like but because our Iron Lady slashed manufacturing and helped create a non-profit making service industry instead (by comparison), jobs are no longer available in the way they once were, so people have no choice but to survive in any way they can.

I'm sure the Gov. already get this fact but can't possibly admit to it so instead we have to suffer from a modern kind of social discourse that tries to tell people that education is the way forward. Yes... just educate yourselves first folks and all those lovely jobs you've dreamed about will just ping into existence! Failing that, you could always get yourselves onto celeb TV and sing your way to riches..... it's so easy!! :mad2: Such are the ridiculous messages that have been peddled out for the past few years.

Don't get me on governmental history - one of my old 'sidelines'.... whichever government in power manipulates figures and people to suit its own agenda, hidden or otherwise (and agenda is used in the plural here in its true Latin form)

Yes.... see above...

Edited by PriorityOne
typo

As i said earlier neither political party has a brilliant record in dealing with the country's finances. Every 15 years or so we swing from one to the other and each party decides to undo or redo everthing the previous government does whilst blaming them for leaving a mess to deal with.

Whether you are Tory, Labour or Monster Raving Loony Party, these cuts are going to affect the poorest of society. I am not stupid and because of my (soon to be rendundant) current employment, it is more than obvious that we as a country cannot sustain the level at which benefits are paid. As I have said in other posts on this forum, the social welfare system was supposed to be a security blanket, but there is an underclass in society now that expect to be supported solely by benefits and there are generations of children who have grown up not seeing one or both parents going to work.

Whilst I agree we cannot go on as we are I do feel the cuts are aimed at just one end of the scale and that millions if not billions would be saved if the government looked into tax evasion. As I mentioned before, the 500,000 public sector workers who are going to lose their livelyhoods are not the fat cats in whitehall earning five figure salaries who dont seem to do anything productive, it will be the lowest paid and most productive. As an insider i know and have seen waste in the public sector, it is there however because of the "period of austerity" all that is being looked at now. I am sat here shivering at the moment because the heating has been turned down in an effort to lower costs. I am on a break by the way and not using my paid working time to post this. (just thought I would stress that)

These cuts are such a threat to the growth of the economy in so many ways. Making more people unemployed and reliant on benefits is just the tip if the iceberg, this will have a knock on effect for the rest of society. The vital services that these people provide will probably end up being sold to the lowest bidder and then we will get the service that a private company feels we can afford.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

Ok its time for my fourpenny worth on this. I do find it intersting that Fred gets all idignant when somebody accused him of being a bigot, and then implies that anyone who doesnt vote tory is a "trot". As someone who falls into that category can I now get on the moral high ground? /[/url]

Woody, I think that's fairly mild in comparison to "tory ******". Anyway, when somebody insults me like that I feel that I should be allowed some lattitude to respond.

Regards.

Fred