Is a medical diagnosis legal and who decides the diagnosis?

stalin's dead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have epilepsy and my GP has noted that I have 'epilepsy and depression' on my 'sick note' which he hasn't done before

I now have to complete another ESA50 even though I am in appeal at present.

I have these questions:-

- Whose diagnosis is binding? Is it the GP or the Consultant's diagnosis that matters?

- Is the GP 'diagnosis' simply an observation and the Consultant provides the 'official' diagnosis?

- What is a 'diagnosis' anyway? Does it carry any legally binding responsibilities and must a diagnosis be seen to be treated with medication and treatment for it to have validity?

Thanks

Hi stalin dead, i think its the consultant who decides, we had the same problem, and although the doctor showed us on the screen what was wrong it had to come from the consultant so we rang his secretary and she sent us a letter stating the diognostic, he decides then notifys your GP its the GP who sends you to see the consultant so the consultants say is final i would think

A medical diagnosis is an opinion, based on the facts available to the doctor at the time.

A diagnosis can therefore be changed at any time if the facts change, and the same facts, given to different doctors, could produce a different diagnosis.

It can be very frustrating when you keep being told different things :(

but its usually the consultant that lets the your GP know whats actually wrong, when you go to your gp and tell him you have a problem that he cant deal with you get sent to a consultant in that field where he send you for tests and so on then when he gets the tests back he notiflys your gp so id say its usually the consultant who has the last say

but its usually the consultant that lets the your GP know whats actually wrong, when you go to your gp and tell him you have a problem that he cant deal with you get sent to a consultant in that field where he send you for tests and so on then when he gets the tests back he notiflys your gp so id say its usually the consultant who has the last say

Many conditions the GP may not call in a consultant - and if they don't agree with what the consultant says, they can choose to send you for a second opinion.

I would say though that normally a consultants diagnosis would be the one you take, but I don't think that it is legally binding, certainly the benefits doctors seem to be allowed to disagree with consultants findings even though they are not as senior.

One thing to remember is that a consultant may only see you for the length of one appointment - often to confirm or dispel a GP's suspicion about a patient's condition - and a GP may see a patient regularly and things like depression could be missed by someone who only sees a patient for 20 minutes max.

Feebee_71

i must agree with you feebee with this one, depression is an ilness and the patient should be seen more regulaly, and when they patient feels the need, a pysiciatrist will only see you once a year if your lucky, and then you never really get to know them not like your GP who you see more of and trust