john_da_gun

brighthouse trouble please advise

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3576 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi i am new to this forum been reading some other peoples problems and you seem to be the right place for me to get some help.

my mum got a laptop from bh in December she has had nothing but trouble with it it is very slow/laggy and crashes a lot she took it back on several occasions to be told it was something she is doing i am not a computer wizz but no a fair bit so went with her and completely showed the guy up when he was trying to blame it on my mum she only goes on facebook and msn that’s it only to talk to family who live far away and to play some farm game poker and a cafe game after i explained to him that i know a bit about computers he said that he would send it off 6 weeks later it comes back they said there was nothing wrong with it so i completely wiped it and installed software from fresh still a heap of crap but she said to just leave it but on Friday last week it just would not load at all it gets to where you log in well the background anyway it wont display anything but the background you cant log on or anything we took it back today to be told it will be 6-8 weeks before it comes back.

if it takes 6 weeks that’s a total of 12 weeks that she wouldn’t of had the laptop because of it having a fault what can i do regarding that my mum still pays it off should she be entitled to some sort of money back?

Edited by john_da_gun

Hi there - and welcome to CAG

Was the laptop new, or was it "quality refurbished" when your mom had it in December?

Does she have BrightHouse wonderful Optional Service Cover?

Laptops from BrightHouse can be a real pain in the...

What you have to quickly get your head around when dealing with BrightHouse is that you are only HIRING goods from them - they are not yours. They only become yours at the very end of the agreement. So, with this in mind, and if your mom has Optional Service Cover, she could simply return it and walk away. She would have nothing to show for what she had paid so far, but she would have nothing further to pay either... Like I say, she has just been hiring it.

I think I'd be inclined to try and negotiate a deal for a better laptop with the store - maybe suggest they take account of the 6 weeks she was without a laptop, and knock 6 weeks off a new agreement for a new one?

You may like to look at the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1974 which covers hire and hire purchase agreements.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Hi there - and welcome to CAG

Was the laptop new, or was it "quality refurbished" when your mom had it in December?

Does she have BrightHouse wonderful Optional Service Cover?

Laptops from BrightHouse can be a real pain in the...

What you have to quickly get your head around when dealing with BrightHouse is that you are only HIRING goods from them - they are not yours. They only become yours at the very end of the agreement. So, with this in mind, and if your mom has Optional Service Cover, she could simply return it and walk away. She would have nothing to show for what she had paid so far, but she would have nothing further to pay either... Like I say, she has just been hiring it.

I think I'd be inclined to try and negotiate a deal for a better laptop with the store - maybe suggest they take account of the 6 weeks she was without a laptop, and knock 6 weeks off a new agreement for a new one?

You may like to look at the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1974 which covers hire and hire purchase agreements.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lefty

it was brand new. but what i dont get is if its hire then why is she paying whilst she dont have it you dont hire a van lets say for 3 weeks from a van hire place it breaks down a week into it they get it collected and you wont be able to use it for two weeks you dont get charged for the two weeks you didnt have it do you. i have had a look at Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1974 am a little bit confused but from what i got (most likley wrong) then they are in breach of statutory condition. dont now if i am right or not but if i am what can i do about it?

if she did return it then would she be able to try to claim back the 6 weeks money that she didnt have the laptop?