• Tweets

• Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
    • As they have failed to deliver their original PCN you will need to send them an SAR where they should provide that PCN. It should show the address they used . If it is not your current one that would explain the non delivery. If it was correct then perhaps the Post office messed up. A more cynical view would be that UKPC didn't send it so that you couldn't claim the reduction. It appears that UKPC have been there for some time  but I have been unable to find any pictures of their Notices.The leisure park itself is pretty big so while some parts maybe give 5 hours free parking other parts may have restrictions like permits. I haven't been there for years -I went  to Nandos and the bowling centre . I am surprised that they are now infested with UKPC as the place is plenty big enough not to require their dubious services. If you live not to far away it would help if you could get some legible pictures of their signs. Be carful to park in an area that doesn't require a permit and take photos of the entrance signs, the five hour sign and the permit only sign as well as any other signs that are different from the previous signs. Also if their is a payment machine could you please photograph that.
    • This other entity doesn't know what's going on.  To be clear I had huge equity.  No-one would ever expect a lender to erode all my equity.  The question is - if anyone knows the legal answer - on the basis they have a charging order - could they make an application for an order for sale?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi im writing on my behalf of my father in law who is in trouble with ross and roberts .

Basically my partner his son got a car and his dad registered it in his name then my partner got two parking tickets in this car which he has not paid.

So it went from the council to Ross and roberts and they visited my father in laws address on saturady morning now my mother and father in law are both quite ill his wife has serious diabetes and he himself is suffering from dementia so when Ross and roberts called my father in law not knowing any different let them in and then we got a phone call from my mother in law saying that Ross and roberts are in the house and they are going to take there stuff, so my partner has gone there straight away and found the bailiff in his parents porch way and wouldnt move. So to cut a long story short my partner accepted liability for the debt that wasin his dads name and the bailiff took a check for £490 from his mum and then levied the goods in the house and my partner signed the agreements.

Now we dont know wether or not the cheque will go through the account as both are pensioners and dont really have that kind of money but we needed to do something to get them off our backs while we try adn sort this out.

So I then started by writing a complaint to the local council and one to ross and roberts themselves explaining that my father in law and mother in law are classed as vulnerable and are willing to pay directly to the council but not the bailffs fees on top which are almost triple. So these were sent off one to ross and roberts a online complaint to the local council and one to the chief director. And the afternoon this is the response we had back from the council

They are basically saying that my partner had along enough time to repay the fines and that he had taken reponsbility for the debt that it noe falls down to him and that the council have spokeen to the bailiff who has confirmed that my partner has taken liability. and that the bailiff took great care when speaking to his mum and dad.

now i would like to know if there is anything we can do so that we can only pay the fine owed and not the bailff fees that are triple as my mother and father in law cannot afford this and neither can we as one is for £722 and the other £327 which is alot of money please help

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi im writing on my behalf of my father in law who is in trouble with ross and roberts .

Basically my partner his son got a car and his dad registered it in his name then my partner got two parking tickets in this car which he has not paid.

So it went from the council to Ross and roberts and they visited my father in laws address on saturady morning now my mother and father in law are both quite ill his wife has serious diabetes and he himself is suffering from dementia

Contact the council and ask that enforcement action must cease on the grounds they are a "vulnerable household" and send a copy of this to the council to support your request. http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm#part10 if you needfurther help Z2K is a charity supporting vulnerable households: http://www.z2k.org/supporting-vulnerable-households if the council is uncooperative, passes you off with its in the hands of the bailiffs or is vexatious then you can make a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

so when Ross and roberts called my father in law not knowing any different let them in and then we got a phone call from my mother in law saying that Ross and roberts are in the house and they are going to take there stuff, so my partner has gone there straight away and found the bailiff in his parents porch way and wouldnt move. So to cut a long story short my partner accepted liability for the debt that wasin his dads name and the bailiff took a check for £490 from his mum and then levied the goods in the house and my partner signed the agreements.

You might want to contact your bank and put a hold on that cheque and consult the law setting bailiffs fees for unpaid parking tickets. its £28. Send a replacement cheque for the actual ticket amounts + £28 with a letter explaining the fees are set by law namely: Schedule 1 et-al of the Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts (Certificated Bailiffs)(Amended 2003) Regulations 1993 and you will not be paying any more than what the law says. You could pay the council direct less the £28 and explain the bailiff made a false representation as to how much fees you had to pay and say the matter is in the hands of the Local Government Ombudsman.

Professional property investor and conveyancer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answer I did what you said but now there is another problem the bailiffs came yesterday to my father in laws and entered the property when they werent there through an unlocked back gate and a locked patio door yes LOCKED they then listed everything in the house and rang my mother in law to come home so they did none the wiser and came back to two men standing inn there living r. Not only that they gained entrance to the garage through a unlocked door and clamped my father in laws car in the garage and now want £350 on monday to take the clamp off now the question I want to ask is we are going to seek legal advice and dont really want to pay the £350 but if we dont pay can the bailiff force his way into a locked garage and take my father in laws car ??????? PLEASE HELP US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a read of this to see if there is any grounds for appeal if you didn't get the paperwork.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?131121-Council-Parking-Fine....-but-NO-PCN-or-NTO-received-Advice!

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the answer I did what you said but now there is another problem the bailiffs came yesterday to my father in laws and entered the property when they werent there through an unlocked back gate and a locked patio door yes LOCKED they then listed everything in the house and rang my mother in law to come home so they did none the wiser and came back to two men standing inn there living r.

Does the debtor LIVE at the address they entered? if no then their certificate only allows to enter a DEBTORS property without permission. The bailiff may have commited burglary. Section 9 of the Theft Act 1968. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60

If damage has been caused to the property, then an offence under Section 1 of the Crininal Damage Act 1971 may have been committed.

Your Inlaws should contact police and get a crime number. They might have to be persistent because police have a propensity to dismiss complaints of bailiff crime to be a civil matter.

Not only that they gained entrance to the garage through a unlocked door and clamped my father in laws car in the garage

Take photographs of the wheelclamp fixed to the car, and if the car does not belong to the debtor, the owner of the car may remove the wheelclamp quite legally provided he can prove the car is his.

and now want £350 on monday to take the clamp off

The law does not provide for bailiffs to charge a fee to fix or remove a wheelclamp irrespective who owns the car. Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/section/2

There is case law: Case No 8CL51015 - Anthony Culligan (Claimant) v 1. Jason Simkin & 2. Marstons (Defendants). Before District Judge Advent 9th & 24th September 2008. the Judge said "because the bailiff produces no evidence as to how the charge had been arrived then he unable to show that it is reasonable costs".

Police may also dismiss this to be a civil matter, but the House of Lords has already ruled that police may not class bailiff crime to be a civil matter: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200607/ldhansrd/text/70420w0001.htm see under Crime Fraud.

Print all the above along with and a photograph of the clamped vehicle and documentary evidence the bailiff is charging £300 to remove it, when you contact police.

now the question I want to ask is we are going to seek legal advice and dont really want to pay the £350 but if we dont pay can the bailiff force his way into a locked garage and take my father in laws car ??????? PLEASE HELP US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it strage the bailiff clamps a car while its inside a garage, especially as it not the property of the debtor.

It doesnt mater who the registered keeper it, its the driver who pays the parking fine.

Do take on baord the council is liable for their bailiffs and any legal redress you seek on a court is always addressed to the council, but you can name the bailiffs company as a 2nd defendant. For the short term, you need a crime number for the offences listed above.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies just to clarify a few things the debtor does live at the address that was entered and the car and debt is in his name even though it is a different car.

All the paperwork we were given was a unsigned levy of everything in the house and the car that had a big circle around it there are no set out charges of what the bailiff want them to pay and my in laws didnt sign anything either.

I myself contacted essex police yesterday as we werent aware of the fact that they had entered the house via the patio until the neighbour alerted us to this so we looked at the patio door and it has been forced as it is always kept locked as my inlaws have no reason to go out there so I spoke to someone in essex police control room and they told me that there is not a crimnal case as yet it is still civil but I need to take photographic evidence of the patio door as it doesnt lock now and make an appointment to see a solicter asap so I took the photograpic evidence and am going to make an appointment tommorrow.

Basically everything the bailiff said to my inlaws about charges was verbal but they are frightened that if they dont pay the car will be removed again by forced entry as the garage is locked are they aloud to do this ??

Do you know how much the Bailiff is demanding?

Is there any chance you can post up a copy of the levy made? There may be exempt items on it, also it may be classed as an excessive levy.

Although they are charging your in-laws for all of this, is that whose name is on the Warrant?

You should also contact the Council - as said in Post 2 - about their vulnerable status, maybe you also need to get on to your local Councillor. The Council are responsible for the actions of their contractors - in this case the Bailiff - however if he has exceeded his powers and authority it will be the Bailiff alone who will be accountable, which is why you need Plod's help if they broke in.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

they gained entrance to the garage through a unlocked door and clamped my father in laws car in the garage

I asked a friend of mine who is a solicitor, and she was very surprised by a bailiff clamping someone elses car inside a garage. That in itself could constitute theft of a motor vehicle if the bailiff knows or believes the car does not belong to the debtor, but its unlikely a crown procesutor will charge a bailiff under Section 12 of the 1968 Theft Act.

If you removed the clamp by cutting the chains using a lobster cutter then you may be liable for criminal damage under Section 1 of the Criminal damage Act 1971.

If the owner installed a "Stoplock" to the steering wheel and gear lever then locked the car and locked the garage, the bailiff may commit criminal damage to the garage and to the security device fitted to the vehicle if he appempts to take the car. It would be much easier for a crown prosecutor to prove a case against a bailiff at Court.

In the civil claims, its known that owners can claim the sum of £10 per day plus the cost of renting a replacement car and using taxis can be claimed against the authority for which the bailiff acts.

It would help if the claim is supported by a crime number. The owner must report the theft to police and attempt to get a crime number. The refusal by the police to issue a crime number investigated later under Section 5 of the Crininal Law Act 1967. If this happens in your case, then ask for an 'incident' number and the court can ask the police officer to attend or give a statement of truth.

So it went from the council to Ross and roberts and they visited my father in laws address on saturady morning now my mother and father in law are both quite ill his wife has serious diabetes and he himself is suffering from dementia so when Ross and roberts called my father in law not knowing any different let them in and then we got a phone call from my mother in law saying that Ross and roberts are in the house and they are going to take there stuff, so my partner has gone there straight away and found the bailiff in his parents porch way and wouldnt move. So to cut a long story short my partner accepted liability for the debt that wasin his dads name and the bailiff took a check for £490 from his mum and then levied the goods in the house and my partner signed the agreements.

Now we dont know wether or not the cheque will go through the account as both are pensioners and dont really have that kind of money but we needed to do something to get them off our backs while we try adn sort this out.

So I then started by writing a complaint to the local council and one to ross and roberts themselves explaining that my father in law and mother in law are classed as vulnerable and are willing to pay directly to the council but not the bailffs fees on top which are almost triple. So these were sent off one to ross and roberts a online complaint to the local council and one to the chief director. And the afternoon this is the response we had back from the council

They are basically saying that my partner had along enough time to repay the fines and that he had taken reponsbility for the debt that it noe falls down to him and that the council have spokeen to the bailiff who has confirmed that my partner has taken liability. and that the bailiff took great care when speaking to his mum and dad.

now i would like to know if there is anything we can do so that we can only pay the fine owed and not the bailff fees that are triple as my mother and father in law cannot afford this and neither can we as one is for £722 and the other £327 which is alot of money please help

Unfortunatly, your post is very confusing indeed and this is probably due to the first fee lines as follows:

Are you trying to say that your partner has a car which was purchased by his father and which is registered in his fathers name?

I then understand that your partner had some parking tickets that he has not paid and which have now gone to the bailiff.

If the car is in your partners fathers' name, then sadly, the parking charge notice will also be in the fathers name and as far as the law is conerned the father is liable.

Can you please confirm the position?

Also, the car that has been clamped. Is this the fathers car?

Did your partner receive all statutory notices?

right everyone thanks for the posts basically the orginal car that has the parking tickets was my partners but his father bought it for him so therefore the tickets have gone to his dad instead then they obviously didnt get paid and have gone to ross and roberts .

Now the first contact we had with ross and roberts mt partner said he takes liability for the fines and signed the first lot of papers from ross and roberts but the papers are still in his dads name but the bailiff said this was ok.

Now the second lot of papers no one signed as he levy was taken when there was no one in the house and the car got clamped without us knowing, the belongs to his dad but it is not the car that recieved the tickets

this is what the second unsigned levy says

NOTICE OF SEIZURE OF GOODS AND INVENTORY

The council Tax (administrstion and enforcement) local lists regulations 1992 regulation 45

the non domestic rating (collection and enforcement) local lists regulations 1989 regulation 14

RaR ref no xxxxxx

authority ref no exxxxxxxxx

authoriy chxxxxxxx

to mr xxxxx

address xxxxxx

and all others to whom it may concern

TAKE NOTICE that by virtue of a liability order made by the magistrates court i have today seized , distrained and impounded on the premises the goods specified in the following inventory for the sum owing to the above named authority plus costs.

AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE that unless the said amounts and costs be paid together with the expenses of this distress within (no days specified) from the date hereof the goods will be sold according to law.

On expiry of the above stated number of days (there arent any) where payment has not been madegoods are liable for removal without further notice. This will involve you in further costs for attendence , cartage and storage.

AMOUNT FOR WHICH THE DISTRSS IS MADE

ARREARS DUE TO AUTHORITY £190

FIRST VISIT FEE £0

SECOND VISIT FEE £0

LEVY CHARGE £0

WALKING POSSESSION FEE £0

ENFORCEMENT FEE £490 .80

ADMIN FEE £0

TOTAL AMOUNT NOW DUE £766.71

INVENTORY TO WHICH THIS NOTICE REFERS

6X WOODEN CHARIS RED AND CHROMEDESIGN

1 X DINING ROOM TABLE

1X THREE SEATER SOFA

2X FABRIC ARM CHAIRS

1X BLACK SAMSUNG 42" TV

1X BLACK TV STAND

1X BLACK DLINK ROUTER

1X LARGE WOODEN DISPLAY UNIT

1X BLACK BEKO TV

1X WHITE WOODEN SMALL BEDROOM UNIT

1X FAUX LEATHER MIRROR

1X BLUE VAX VACUM CLEANER

1X SAMSUNG BLACK 32" TV

1X BLAK TOSHIBA TV

1X MINI WAYER COOLER

1X MINI FRIDGE

1X SNOOKER CUE+CASE

1XWHITE FAN

1X BOSCK IRON

1X ZALMAN HYBRID COOLING SYSTEM

2X PC KEYBOARDS

1X EPSON PICTURE MATE

1X NISSAN PRIMERA (CLAMPED IN GARAGE) 2004 plate low milage

This is levy that was taken a bit extreme isnt it considering the car covers it and more this was taken on the 29th and they have been back again today hassleing my father in law he has denmentia for god sake and they know this thankfully he didnt let them in and just said my son will deal with you and told them to come back in 3 hours that eas at 2 oclock what can we do this is getting ridicualous now HELP

No wonder you are confused. It would appear you have 2 separate issues here. You have the first with which you started off the thread which deals with what seems to be some unpaid parking tickets. What you have listed above however is something different and that is for non-payment of Council Tax.

The sum you have listed above does not add up - however the levy listed is excessive so and has items listed that I suspect will be exempt. Whose name is on the Liabilty Order? You must at the earliest opportunity contact the Council and get them to understand the conditions your in Laws suffer from. You should also contact your local Councillor to help act for you. I would suspect the Bailiff knows he is in the wrong but is taking advantage of your in Laws.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

right but on all the papers they say they are fo rroad traffic even the one ive just listed all the fees are for road traffic unpaid parking tickets but only two outstanding tickets exsist it just doesnt make any sense the first thread was there first visit and what ive listed is what they have added on to the exsisting fine.

the liability order is in my partners dad name who is 70 in may.

i have already sent a complaint to the coucil and to the chief excuative after the first occasion but on the 29th the bailiff informed my in laws that the chief excuative had given him the go ahead , which doesnt make any sense either as three days earlier we recieved a letter from the cheif saying he was looking into the situation .

I have also made the council and ross and roberts aware of my father in laws condition and also the fact they both have high blood pressure and my mother in law is 67 with servere diabetes and is partially blind but they have seemed to ignore this fact and continue with pursueing them .

When they came home to find to men standing in threr living room they nearly killed over from fright as the bailiff didnt identify himself straight away my in laws just saw two people looking at them through there living room window I really think this isnt on !!!!!!!

Edited by babybell123

right but on all the papers they say they are fo rroad traffic even the one ive just listed all the fees are for road traffic unpaid parking tickets but only two outstanding tickets exsist it just doesnt make any sense the first thread was there first visit and what ive listed is what they have added on to the exsisting fine.

I'll be the first to admit I know very little of these so hope someone else will take them up.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the liability order is in my partners dad name who is 70 in may.

i have already sent a complaint to the coucil and to the chief excuative after the first occasion but on the 29th the bailiff informed my in laws that the chief excuative had given him the go ahead - believe nothing the Bailiff says, you should expose him for the lies he is giving out, which doesnt make any sense either as three days earlier we recieved a letter from the cheif saying he was looking into the situation - you need to get back on to the Council to ask them to put this on hold until they complete their investigation .

I have also made the council and ross and roberts aware of my father in laws condition and also the fact they both have high blood pressure and my mother in law is 67 with servere diabetes and is partially blind but they have seemed to ignore this fact and continue with pursueing them . have you done this in writing and did you supply any proof, a letter from their Doctor for example.

When they came home to find to men standing in threr living room they nearly killed over from fright as the bailiff didnt identify himself straight away my in laws just saw two people looking at them through there living room window I really think this isnt on !!!!!!!

You must try your local Councillor. Have you also contacted the local Press - unfortunately they will love a story like this. Have you had any feedback from the local Police re the forced entry - if you are getting nowhere ask to speak to the person in charge at the station, if necessary a message should be sent to the Chief Constable informing him of matters with a threat of involving the IPCC if they fail to act.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ross and Roberts DONT act with in the law, they will fob you off and ignore your letters. My advise is to see your local councillor and or your MP. Please press this matter with the police as they cannot break in unless they have an order from the court, which I highly doubt. As for the levy it is however invalid, there are exempt items listed plus it is extremely excessive to what you owe. Your in-laws also come under the National standards as vulnerable and this should also be made aware with the council. Have you checked to see if the bailiffs in question were certificated. I know for sure that in the past that Ross & Roberts have used un-certificated bailiffs so please do check.

Hello Seanamarts i have ask for the names and the first bailiff said his name and i ask who the other bailiff was and he said mr dan ive never heard of a surname of mr dan but i did check to see if the first bailiff was registered bailiff and his name did come up but he did not show me any i.d. so he could be lying who is .i did also try mr dan but his name came upwith differnt bailiffs companys

you are correct very excessive levys but what i'm going to say is what do i do next as they have clamped my in laws car in the garage and now the car can not be used because of clamped car???????

Edited by babybell123