eBay issue - automatic payments and cancellation

Surfer01

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I placed a classified ad on eBay but it would not let me make a one off payment for the ad and I had to opt for the automatic payment. I was not too worried as it said I could cancel it at any time.

Anyway placed the ad and then paid for it straight away.

I then went in to cancel the automatic payment option, but it won't let me do this or I am going about it the wrong way. I don't fancy this automatic payment option which is imposed on you.

If the worse comes to the worst and if I can, I will cancel my account with eBay entirely as I don't want to deal with a company that is devious in its transactions.

Can one request that all data pertaining to an eBay account is removed? Also just in case, can one request that Paypal remove all your data from their servers in the event you cancel your PayPal account with them. If so, do they have to do it within a specific time frame.

For both questions above are there any contact addresses? Thanks.

You can cancel the automatic poayment option or change it to another method, (i.e from card to Paypal) but it wont take effect untill after the next bill date, so the next ebay invoice WILL be debited by the method in your automatic payment option. If you used a card it is possible to cancel the card.

You dont normally pay for the ebay ad straight away because the final bill will be calculated due to a % of the final selling price. Ebay then calculates all of these and bills you monthly. You can at any time make one off payments though.

Andy

This was for a classified ad so no % involved. Had a look to see if I could change it but you cannot even though I followed their instructiosn to the letter! Anyway once the ad has finished good bye eBay as their T & Cs are now getting onerous. Thanks for the update..

Forget about cancelling your card as an option. The debt will stand and they'll chase you for it. You need to go to 'Payment Subscriptions' in order to cancel recurring payments, no other route will work.

There is no debt on the account as I pay everything up front. I don't mind one off payments but object to this automatis deductions at their leisure. Also found out that PayPal retain your card details indefinitely and do not remove them from their serves. The only option is to request new cards from yur bank stating that your old cards have been compromised. Once my ad has finished running I will be cancelling my eBay account and also my PayPal account.

PayPal is a bank - so I don;t see your concerns in the same light. The insistence on a link to a debit or credit card is reasonable as it ensures you;ve passed the identity checks, and (if you wish) provide them with the ability to debit the card(s), you can of course nominate any other payment means either by loading a balance to use up, or from a different card or account.

The ability to cancel a recirring payment, which you complained of, can be done without problem. OF course, if you have no need for eBay there is probably no requirement to have PayPal either, although I'm finding it increasingly useful for non-eBay purchases, I don't have to provide them with ANY financial information as if they accept PP, then they get their money and PP prevents them from taking anyithing extra later (which they can do with a card payment).

OF course, if you have no need for eBay there is probably no requirement to have PayPal either, although I'm finding it increasingly useful for non-eBay purchases, I don't have to provide them with ANY financial information as if they accept PP, then they get their money and PP prevents them from taking anyithing extra later (which they can do with a card payment).

Which is one of the selling points that Paypal use, that you dont have to give others your card details, although in my opinion it does create another security risk, if you leave your card and bank details permantly linked in Paypal then all someone has to do is get into your Paypal account and then has access to a lot of your card and bank details all in one place, the Paypal system is not very secure, all it needs is one password and they are in, in contrast you will find that nearly every bank site uses multiple identification names/number/drop down boces or other methods such as a crad reader/number generator.

Hacked Ebay and Paypal accounts do appear to be quite common (having been involved in a hacked Ebay/Paypal fraud I am very wary of leaving card/bank accounts linked in Paypal, another reason not to leave them linked is to avoid Ebay/Paypal grabbing your cash if a dispute is raised against you)

Andy

Forget about cancelling your card as an option. The debt will stand and they'll chase you for it. You need to go to 'Payment Subscriptions' in order to cancel recurring payments, no other route will work.

Well..Cancelling the card works as a short term option, I recently did it myself. I then paid the amount owing at a later date using a different card.

Plus as we all know..Ebay's attempts at 'chasing' involve using lame DCA's who soon give up.

Andy

Hacked PayPal accounts are getting less, as I discovered there is far greater protection than simple a user name and password. Both eBay and PayPal are actively looking at and checking IP addresses too - and I have two friends that (seperately) discovered both companies shut down access and sent them a text to confirm suspicious activity on their accounts, and to re-set passwords in a special link that was being emailled to them.

Regarding Andy's point - a lame DCA is one thing. Your credit file trashed is quite another, and as the T&C's change to permit them to report your delaings to Experian SARl - you get a default at your peril.

My concern is if you use Paypal's automated system and you get funds paid in and then the buyer creates a stink for some unknown reason, PayPal will then debit your account and repaid the buyer although you have not received back the goods. There have been numerous instances of this happening. Just read the posts on this forum. Either way, it will no longer concern me in the future as I am beginning to see new items appearing on eBay but to buy them in the shop is cheaper.

Buzby does have a point about making non eBay payments but at the moment these are rare. Why do they have to set it up for automatic payments which is different to recurring payments? This basically means that you do nto have to make a purchase but they can still access your card details and do what they like.

You're blurring the line between eBay and Paypal. The latter cannot arbitrarily take anything from your account. Your complainant would need to be an eBay customer with a complaint that eBay has upheld. As a purchaser, I value this protection, si it cuts both ways. I just cot £88 back from eBay after a supposed UK seller turned out to be a Lithuanian flogging cloned software.

Ad to why automatic vs recurring? Following a trend? Why do firms strong-arm you into DDs that permit any amounts on any dates, when previously obey monthy payments were allowed?

Because they can, and people let them!