Deposit Issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I would be really grateful for any advice on how to handle this... I lived in private university halls last year and paid my full rent plus a £ 200 damage fee (deposit) with my credit card. When I moved out of the accommodation they said that my full deposit should be returned to me within 4 to 6 weeks. Because I hadn't heard from them I gave them a call the other day enquiring about my deposit only to be told that I apparently never paid them a deposit. The accommodation staff told me that I should give them a copy of the receipt as proof of me having paid it, however after a year of hanging onto that tiny piece of paper I seem to have lost the receipt in the hassle of moving (stupid me :evil:). So my main problem is now whether I can use my credit card statement as a proof of having paid the deposit and if yes whether I am likely to actually get it back.

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the long post!

As long as you can show the amount paid, when and to who then it should be enough for them. It's hard to say how easy it will be for you to get your money. Some landlords are fair and some will try to put all sorts of things down as damage to try to keep the money.