• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What's a "family" then?

Fuzzgin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No, I'm not losing it (much). It's a serious question. It's a word that gets thrown about and never defined. It was particularly in use today at the spending review and I really don't know what it means.

There are parents living with 1-12 kids who are clearly a family, but given the 1-12 (and in some cases more but I can't bear to think about it) you would agree that it's rather a loose term. I live alone, I have pension age parents 45 minutes away but don't live with them, so am I a family, or do I not count? Am I a non family unit and therefore not considered in matters of income and expenditure?

This rather vague word gets chucked about like it means something and quite honestly I have to work hard to resist frothing at the mouth when I hear the term "hard working families" families don't work, or do they? Do people still send their kids up chimneys? I thought that was illegal. People work NOT families.

OK so I've used sarcasm here, maybe too much but my question is serious. What is a family and how is it officially defined, or is it an emotive term that can't be defined (as I suspect) but used to stop us expecting individual support in times of need. I seem to have heard it too much today in such a woolly way that it is meaningles yet I suspect there is a hidden agenda.

Any thoughts or should I just stop thinking and get treatment for the foaming problem?

I agree with you, I am a single person living on my own, my dad (who is 77) lives in the next street when he is not being the 'geriatric globetrotter - currently getting ready for 6 weeks in California!... so I am my own carer, financier, cook, bottlewasher (before they go in the recycling bin) etc etc - do I get carers leave from my employer when there are problems - NOPE

By the way my great-great grandad was a Chimney sweep in Brixton, south-west London and had six boys working for him....

Sillygirl1, I'm sort of glad I'm nt alone. When everything's being cut everywhere I look then I tend to over analyse and worry about words that are used. Particularly since I know that the governemnet is not the friend of the benefit claimant. Although that's not me yet, if I go downhill any further it will be besides my cousin (who lives 400 miles away!) has MS and is a claimant, I assume.

Anyway, I'm not sure there is an answer to my question, I'dlove to hear other opinions, but when people say "families will be better off" or "families will be worse off" i just think what on earth do they mean?

There lies the crux of the last government, (and sadly the current PMs are family men), the family as the traditional mother/father 2.5 kids.... (I always wonder where the other .5 of a kid goes, perhaps these are the 'feral' kids...)

I am from a large family (7 kids all from the same parentage) and we are not considered 'newsworthy'. To take our wider 'family' unit we can round up 38 people from four generations in about a five mile radius, my dad, me & my brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces and now their kids too (my great nephews/nieces) so does that make us a typical family unit... and within that are two 'mixed race' kids.

I suspect the government really means Family unit as in 'controlling social group'....

Sillygirl, I suspect that is what they mean, but I'd suspect that they'd rather families were self sufficient units, with those earning supporting those not earning, but I can never be both and I suspect there are many of us who have no one else to rely on in times of need. I have cousins (400 miles away) but none of them earn much if anything. Nearby it's just my parents and they are on their pensions. I work part time due to ill health so I could no more support them than they could support me. This concerns me whenever I read comments on articles about benefits and people post stuff about how families should be relied on to support each other rather than the state. I know, there's another habit I should give up!

Well said Fuzzgin. I'm reminded here of other somewhat indefinable and therefore "woolly" words and phrases that advertisers and spin doctors constantly use.

E.g. "common sense" (whatever the person who says it thinks is best - there is no real consensus)

The usage of such words and phrases seems to me like the verbalised equivalent of the loo roll puppy being used to make our minds associate the advertised product with feelings of warmth, cosiness and comfort etc. whereas what they're really selling is a sh1twipe. In many ways rather like the spending review!Heristical.gif

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Whilst we support eachother emotionally and occasionally financially as a family unit each group has their own priorities, the government seems to want to go back to the ethic "the rich protect the rich whilst the poor get poorer".

I for one am working in an industry where cuts are being made and may possibly be 'on the scrap heap' and expected to 'support my family unit' - having paid into the system since I was 16 the sort of attitude that 'people on benefits get them for life' is only of the governments making, most of my family (and I include my father) have rarely received anything other than the bare minimum, despite all of us working (which is why we are not 'newsworthy').

The government cannot look closer to home as it has little idea of the average family makeup, our local politician for instance has never done anything OTHER than government politics, going straight from school to university to politics and whilst at school did a lot of political rallying... what does he know about having your job cut every five to six years and what little pension you have saved towards eaten away.

Rant over for today.

The other woolly phrase we hear a lot at the moment "we're all in this together". Oh no we're not (and already panto season is starting, or maybe that's just parliament). I really hate bein patronised by some millionaires who have never even had to apply for jobs, just relying on the old boys' network.

I too work in an area that's about to get cut. In my case, my local council. Already people who leave are not being replaced but the work is still there. Morale is so low that you could sweep it off the floor. A lot of colleagues are approaching retirement age and are seriously considering getting out. I'm 40 and the future looks bleak. Our local MP is OK, at least he has spoken out against the coalition his party have enthusiastically sold their souls to. Not sure how much use he'll be though.

"Family" in benefit terms refers to a parent/child set up where the "parent" is financially responsible for a child. The child must be aged under 16 or aged 16-19 and in full time education, but this doesn't always refer to biological parents/children; it can refer to guardians, kinship carers, foster parents etc.

It requires a set up of at least one adult being financially responsible for one child - who the adult would normally get child benefit for.

"All in this together". That's a term the goverment have been spouting that I have grown to hate immensely.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Being in a family unit with a disabled parent and a disabled child, I find the whole guff being repeated to justify terrifying cuts to the poor and disabled vomit inducing. Literally in the past couple of days.

The level of anxiety in our home is huge and we are relatively lucky as we don't need to receive housing benefit. The thought of what it must feel like to have the £26,000 benefits cap and an increase in the cost of social housing is horrific.

My husband has pointed one positive outcome of the governments cuts. By the time I get called in for an ATOS "experience" I'll be so ill due to the effects of worry I'll probably have been sectioned. He is such a cheery soul.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Fuzzgin, you are a lot younger than me, I am 52, 53 in January, if my job isn't cut now then it will be in the cuts for next year, I am looking at early retirement on health grounds so I can do some part-time work... have a couple of leads I am working on - no way do I want to end up dependant on pitiful benefits.

The Government is trying a social experiment without having looked at the reasons behind the rot, that they let too many people into this country to keep the wages down and a portion of those people (and a larger portion of our own native people) have managed to manipulate the situations to their advantages, rather than benefit the Government.

I can remember when I first started work there was a 'two tier' system of unemployment benefit, if you had paid you got more, if you hadn't paid you got the basic. That got thrown out due to Human Rights.

Well, the Government have left themselves wide open to Human Rights abuse with all the current cuts.

This thing about final salary payments for local government emloyees has made me think. There has to be a challenge to the idea of making it an average salary pension. Surely those who have taken career breaks and worked part time (mostly women) will be disproportionately affected. Surely some equal rights legislation that could challenge that?

Doesn't affect me personally in that way other than that my part time work due to chronic illness will count against me. Really no point in getting better to become a wage slave only to find I still retire on a pittance after 20 years or more full time and all the time I spent in the private sector before I got ill. OK, at the moment I'm self sufficient. I just don't spend much, but who knows what can happen to any of us?