• Tweets

• The reports come as Facebook's WhatsApp starts to roll out a disappearing photos and videos feature.View the full article
    • Hi   Irrespective that you were given this property via the homelessness scheme in your area you would more than likely have signed an agreement for that property so forget about the homelessness an you then became a Tenant of that Housing Association and have the exact same rights as any other tenant of that Housing Association.   I do have compassion for you in this situation as you have been trying to get your life back in order and it as been one obsticale after another then this flooding which due to it being raw sewege has more than likely detroyed what belonging you had.   What I am going to say now you won't like to hear but with Housing Associations the contents of a Tenants property is for that individual Tenant to ensure they have proper 'Contents Insurance' for situations similar to yours and most Housing Association should advertise/let Tenants know this responsibility.   Were you ever informed of the above requirement when viewing/signing the agreement for the property by either the Housing Association/Support Worker? (if the answer is NO then bear than in mind as this is ammunition to use against them)   Now anytime you write to the Housing Association on this matter you make sure and title your letter as a 'Formal Complaint' and to keep a good paper trail of everything and ask the post office for Free Proof of Posting.   You also need to make sure that you take photographic evidence of all the damage to the property not just your own belongings.   Now as state you now need to make a Formal Complaint in writing explaining everything that and what you have been told to date and that you require the following:   1. Clarification as to how many complaints have been made in your building due to drainage issues whether it be an individual properties toilets/sinks/baths/showers/kitchen sinks/washing machine drainage etc.  ( just to clarify you ar not asking for that individual/Tenant data but the statistics of how many compliaint's on this matter) 2. Clarification as to who is responsible for the Drainage outside the building (refer to the exact blockage area outside the building) whether it is the Housing Association/Council/Water Company. 3. Copy of your Compensation Policy (not the leaflet) 4. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 5. Copy of your Customer service Charter/Policy (not the leaflet) 6. Copy of your Public Liability Insurance (not the leaflet) 7. Copy of Repairs an Maintenance Policy (not the leaflet)
    • Retailers and 190 other businesses broke the law by underpaying workers, the government says.View the full article
    • More people are hiring boats to travel along the UK's canals and rivers amid travel restrictions.View the full article
    • I've started working on the defence. There are lots of threads on this forum. I have to admit, they all seem pretty different, e.g parking fines, catalogue debts, etc, but I'll come up with something and come back.   I was speaking to an ex-colleague earlier today (he's also received the claim/impending court action form) and he's working on his defence too. He's in touch with more people than I am and he's learnt that there are dozens of others that have also received letter before action/of claim, and/or actual claim (court) letters. So it seems Centrica are well aware of what they're doing and have instructed CST to hit out and get some money for them.   My current union (Unite) have told me, well, their solicitors have told me, there's not much they can do and suggested I should reach out again to the GMB, who were my union when I was with BG. So I've got the number of the union rep and I'm going to text him tomorrow; ask if he's aware of what's going on and if GMB have had any involvement, or can provide any advice, assistance, or information - you never know.
  • Our picks

Debt Collection Letter

gazzair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am facing a bit of a dilema, and I am just looking for some advice on what course of action I should/can take.

Early September I recieved a letter from my university stating that I owed them £750 tuition fees, and that I should make immediate contact to pay the outstanding amount. The reason they claimed I owed this amount was that they claimed I withdrew from university before the 1 December (the cut off date before the student loan company pays the fee for you).

This was a bit of a shock for two reasons, firstly if what they said was true it had taken them 9 months to contact me, and were demanding the fees be paid now. Also secondly I knew full well I had only stopped attending and withdrawn after December 1, as I was well aware of the cut off date.

I therefore contacted the university and spoke to two different people, one who deals with the outstanding amount, and one who deals with the date I am put down for withdrawl. I was asked if I could provide evidence that I hadn't withdrawn before december 1.

Luckily I had e-mail communications with my tutor which had the the date on which proved I hadn't withdrawn before december 1. In the e-mails we are discussing a lecture in which I attended that day, and I am explaining why I couldnt make it into the seminar. Therefore I sent these e-mails off straight away to both of the members of staff. I also include that I am very unhappy that it has taken them 9 months to ask for the fees and are demanding payment instantly.

I await for a reply from either member of staff - to no avail. I therefore assume the issue is sorted, as if it wasnt good enough they would of contacted me surely? However I recieve no communication from the university at all, asking me to pay the fee's again or asking for further evidence. I feel I had made it quite clear I wish to debate the issue with them, as they were presenting incorrect facts.

Now here we are today and 3 days ago, I recieve a letter from a debt collector, stating they are writing to me to collect the £750 fee's that I owe, and I must make immediate payment to avoid legal action or my credit rating being lowered. I now realise the two members of staff I e-mailed have not sorted the issue for me, or helped me with it, but have completely ignored it, and allowed this to happen without giving me a chance to do anything about it.

I immediately realise I need to contact someone at the university who is there to 'help' students with problems (although i am no longer a student, what am I supposed to do). I therefore send a lengthy e-mail explaining everything to student services, to two members to be exact who supposedly deal with financial issues. In the hope of getting a quick reply.

3 days later (today), and I have what looks to be completely ignored again. I am still waiting a response from two members.

I feel like I should ring, but considering they have ignored me, it has showed what their real attitude to my situation is. I am also not the best on the phone, and tend to come off too polite and passive irregardless of the situation, and that really isnt how I am feeling. I also feel I will recieve a better response via written form. Key facts I tend to think are left out when on the phone, when people are put on the spot.

Can anyone advise what I should do next? My initial though is to e-mail the two again, but with a much more shorter, blunt, angry and more to the point e-mail.

At the end of the day, what bothers me the most isnt really the fact I proved to them I hadnt withdrawn, but if the worst came to the worst, and I had to pay. I havent even been given the chance to arrange a sensible payment option with the university. Just sent straight to a debt collection agency, when I made it clear by my communication with them I was willing to deal with university - but they have just ignored me!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Old_andrew2018

I have just come across your thread, and wonder if there has been any progress if not have you considered getting advice from the CAB