Want refund from cut and shut car seller!

dmb_2010
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there everone,

I'm really hopeful that someone can help me...i'll try to keep it short!

Basically 4 weeks ago my other half bought a car for £4800 via Autotrader from a TRADE seller, she spoke to the trader on the phone about the purchase and the trader agreed to deliver the car from Essex to Nottingham, she paid for the car via bank transfer. Seems silly I know but she never viewed the car before purchase so there was never any contact in person, meaning we have no address, just a mobile number which now goes directly to voicemail everytime you call it. There were several pictures of the car on the Autotrader website and it looked really good, it does look fine however, on closer inspection this car has been VERY dangerously cut and shut. It's unusable, "unless you wanted to kill yourself and potentially anyone else around"!

So we contacted Autotrader for their address so we could get a refund and they won't give it out because of data protection. Anyway we wrote them a letter for Autotrader to pass on to them, which they say they have, guess what...no reply!!! Don't know what to do from here! Consumer direct say small claims court, but how can you take someone to court when you don't even have an address for them?! AND why should we have to pay to enforce our basic consumer rights? It seems ridiculous to me that there is nothing Autotrader should be doing about this!

I would be grateful for any help on this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi dmb

Welcome to CAG

The first thing to do is to gather as much information as possible. Get a copy of the ad from autotrader. Tell the bank whats happened. I would contact the police

as it could potenially be a criminal matter. I would also contact Trading Standards as other people might of been sold 'Cut and shut' cars. Thats how I would proceed. Make the Police the first port of call, give them all the details you can. The DVLA might

also hold information that could be useful.

You know this, but I'll say it anyway, make sure 'knowbody uses it'.

http://ecommerce-associates.info/WordPress/how-to-spot-a-cut-and-shut/

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2010/07/safety-and-security/illegal-cars

Hi rebel11. Thanks for your reply. I have done all the things you have said and nobody can help as there is no address.

The only thing I haven't done is contact police as I know theres a good chance they will just seize the car with no interest in getting the refund.

Hi dmb

There is a better chance after you've informed the police, this is probably a 'gang' at work. If they find the money it will be repatriated too you. This is not just an individual.

They will hold the car as evidence. They can get information that you won't be able to get. The clock is ticking, it's your call.

Make sure you take pictures of the car, like where it's been cut and shut.

I would also inform VOSA of this.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hopefully they still have the bank details as the police may be able to use this if they pursue the case as it is actually fraud. A lot of things can be said about your friend's action in hindsight but will be unhelpful. I hope she gets it sorted out and that a lesson has been learnt as many of us have been conned like this which is why we have the experience.

I would strongly suggest that she speaks to CAB in the first instance for advice but at the same time as soon as possible notify the police of fraud and do not let them fob her off with the civil matter excuse.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks