Not informing insurer of change of address

Gooter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I got into an accident yesterday and need some quick advice. A cyclist hit my car and walked away without giving me his details - although he took my registration number and said he'll sue me.....

The police say I can file an accident report for my own piece of mind and get my story on the record, I just need to bring in my log book and insurance details. My problem is that I did not inform my insurer that I moved address about 4 months ago - the DVLA were informed.

Is it illegal to not tell your insurer of a change of address? I can imagine them not being happy and giving me agro, but as the accident was not my fault (though I would say that wouldn't I), I can't see them getting involved

Thanks

Hi Gooter

Welcome to CAG

I don't think it's illegal, it's easy to forget, I would just be honest and upfront. Say that you'd written to DVLA and that you'd forgotten to write to them. Do it today.

I don't think it will effect your policy.

Okay, cool, just wanted to be sure..... :D

Whilst I'm here, I think I'll tell the story of my accident and let you guys form an opinion:

I was coming out of a petrol garage onto a busy two lane, one way road which approaches a bridge. I had inched forward onto the part of the road with *white lines that separate the pavement from the fast moving traffic, so any pedestrians would have to walk behind my car. I looked left and right and when I saw my gap, I went for it and this cyclist just appeared in front of me and I hit him. He comes off the bike but is fine.

He came from my left - opposite from the flow of traffic - had headphones on and had no front lights. He claims the pavement is a cycle path, but (1) although I have seen cyclists coming down that pavement, it is always with the flow of the traffic not against, and (2) I hit him in the road itself amongst the white lines, so he cycled off the pavement, into the road and in front of me.

He also walked away from the scene without giving me his details.

PS * what is the name of those lines? Just can't think what the hell they are called and I'm going to sound stupid in the report :|

Thinking about it, a better question would be: What are his chances of a successful claim against me, considering he did not take any pictures or witness statements and left the bike by side of the road?

If he contacts my insurers, it's just his word against mine I assume? Plus I have a pic of the bike showing he had no lights.

Me filing a report with the police will not change anything will it?

No it shouldn't do, it's best to report it as he went off.

'Me filing a report with the police will not change anything will it?'

Have you confirmed that it is or is not a cycle route. Some of these are actually two way even against the flow of traffic.

like this one!Salisbury.jpg

I would update the insurance ASAP as they could refuse any claim made! as Designtime says it could effect your premium!

Remember your version may not match his if he does decide to claim.

Have you confirmed that it is or is not a cycle route. Some of these are actually two way even against the flow of traffic.

like this one!Salisbury.jpg

I would update the insurance ASAP as they could refuse any claim made! as Designtime says it could effect your premium!

Remember your version may not match his if he does decide to claim.

I wonder where exactly a cyclist is supposed to go at the end of this lane? Dismount and push?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.