• Tweets

• This is what I do not understand It was for a data sim card where EE took £20 in advance for 20gb of data each month on a month by month rolling contract and once I had used the data it would switch off so impossible to use any more than I had already paid for. If I wanted to carry on using it i would have to log on and pay another £20.   I used the service for a few months and then did not renew the contract and heard no more    My bank account was used for ID purposes only and was my main bank account with all my wages and d/d and held for 7 years plus, no insurance was taken out and no other accounts opened.   This is my point EE have listed this and has no connected with the data they have entered        
    • I am aware of this treatment. Field Debt Solutions approached me at my door claiming to have a warrant of entry, (one of many lies they used) they KNEW I was classed as vulnerable prior to the visit. This was (later found out by The Ombudsman) allegedly to install a pre payment meter (They know I can not use one). Long story short: I was threatened with criminal damage, the police and them not moving till I let them in. They stated they had a warrant, they did not. One FDS employee was waving a crowbar and smiling, the other was basically terrorising me through the window. I complained to EON and all that they did was lie further, covered up their behaviours After contacting the OMBUDSMAN all the truth came out. I am totally disgusted with the way this company operate. I am equally disgusted that the Ombudsman ere not taking any of the FDS Employees behaviours into account (yet all my claims were upheld) this feels like this section of the whole process is left wide open and that's why this is happening imho. The Ombudsman made me feel like they work for EON, (when it came to the consideration of the employees from FDS, they seemed immune to scrutiny) a very confusing and shocking experience when the penny drooped. I have looked at CISA (?) whom are some sort of organisation who debt collection agencies register with (no idea what for) anyway, FDS are not registered, I can not find them anywhere, they are like some sort of enigma and this is where i am thinking how they are protecting themselves from scrutiny and people gaining remedy from them. I also witnessed a EON employee telling me that "FDS do not have to answer anyone," they would not give me any way of complaining directly to them as is the Gov's advice before A Small Claims Tract. I am just making sure now that I record all my efforts to do what I can to give a chance for FDS to attempt to put right what they did to me. I have witnesses and I intend to take them to court. EON has damned them and all the info they provided shows how messed up and disgusting they are, I seriously have witnessed staff laughing at me on the phone when I am trying to tell them what happened. I t seems if you do not pay a bill (in my case this was out of my hands) Then your deserving of what seems to me an inside laugh as the know how we (the vulnerable) get treated when FDS turn up, yes, very much felt this and challenged one employee once.. I have spoken to a Solicitor and they are happy  to do something for me over this. Also the police were phoned by myself even though they threatened me with police "To Help Them Take My DOOR OF ITS HINGES" The police did turn up, they told me that they rarely ever turn up for these idiots as the FDS and others attempt to use the police through bull crapping them. They also said go through a few hoops and if your not happy come back to them, I have a mobile number as they said that a crime number would come after I have exhausted the other moves. They do not like these Debt People one bit, that was comforting. Sorry if this is a little all over but it was all over complexed (I can see why now) but  just wanted to share my experiences and I will be happy to share further if anyone needs to know. I am still wondering what to do but one thing is for sure, I will not be going away, EVER! good luck
    • what does it say if the claimant fails please?
    • Thanks for the feedback.  We have a professional surveyor friend who is willing to give an opinion, and once done as you say, there's no reason not to inform insurers. And as Eric's brother says, that will also give us, hopefully, a more specific discussion with neighbours. No, we can't view the neighbour's roofing from where we are, and neither can they as it's under their conservatory (we always thought it was a bad move on their part to cover felting with a conservatory!) Interesting that council have enforcement powers, hadn't realised that.  I've also had a builder advise, without visiting the site, that the dividing wall (which may be double-skinned) should have waterproof capping, which it doesn't; so maybe a simple solution is to install that across top of both sides.  Anyway, some next steps for us to take so thanks again.
    • un-en doesn't mean its written off but SB'd passing does.. and no why should you get the money??   they are notional charges that weren't paid by you anyway in the 1st place as there is was outstanding balance greater than the refund.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
sold a dud

Sold a dud car, retailer refuses to refund, what can we do?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3325 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi every one , sorry to not introduce myself properly before asking for advice but as im sure youll understand im really stressed at the moment and im finding it hard to think of much else.

On the 13th of this month we found a car we liked, it was at the Yate clean van and car centre ltd in yate/bristol. I did the usual and haggled on the price he stated " if i knock it down £445 then you wont get a warranty. I said ti was fine as my uncle is a mechanic ( he is but i dont see him , id used this phrase to avoid the hard sell on the warranty) he stated well thats ok then , i just dont want you coming back saying the cars blown up down the line because youve not brought a warranty. - i took this as him trying it on to get me to buy the warranty and as he laughed i laughed too.

We paid our £500 deposit and i returned on the friday 15th to pay in full and take the car home. on the way home we found the gears were starting to stick and were really hard to use. we also could hear a really odd sound from the car , it sounded similar to that of a milk float being driven along a very electric sound. We were a little concerned but had thought we'd get it looked at after the weekend and just checked as i had dental surgery booked for the following day so would be unable to do anything then.

On Sunday i decided to take it out for a drive and see what i could find with the car and i started it up put it into reverse which seemed to go in relatively easily ( i did need to pump the clutch a little ) but then when id finished going back and went to put it in to 1st gear it froze and locked and i was stuck , i tried everything even turning off the engine , it was stuck in reverse. my husband managed woth lots of fiddling to get it out of reverse and into 1st to get it on he drive i called the RAC out and they test drove it as well as they cold h got to the end of the road before it was locking up and he had lots of trouble selecting any gear.

he wrote us a full report basically certifying the car as unroad worthy and a danger to drive.

We contacted the seller ( the dealer) and he wasnt very helpfull he started harping on about " sold as is" i presume this is his version of sold as seen. I quoted the SOGA and said we wanted to arrange for him to do the repairs as per the act. he started getting all funny with us and said he would pay half but not all of it using things like " you haggled me down £500 and now you expect me to pay for a repair, its not on , you didnt want a warranty you took it as is. "

I have spoken to consumer direct and they advised to write to the dealer and state what we want. as the dealer was so unreasonable and he statedtaling about " my mate can look at it and if you go halfs ill get it repaired" we dont trust him to get the work done at a proper garage where the work will be covered for any period of time. so we decided to opt for rejecting the car, after all we'd only driven it for just ove ran hour in total. we wrote to him detailing this , today he called in reply and we thought he was first of all agreeing to repair it at hiscost but then he called back stating we would be paying 50% again we stood our ground and said no , he then got quite nasty ad stated he is happy for us to take him to court , i asked why he wouldnt refund us , as he could do it easily and he said " no i dont want to "

My friends a solicitor so is helping me draft the letters and says she will clear it with her boss to send an official letter on our behalf should it not be resolved soon . Is there anything else we can do?

if it goes to the stage where we have to take him to the small claims court then how do we do this and does it take long?

We belive now thathis omment of " if it blows up dont come to me" was because he knew something was wrong with it. but hes really a nasty peice of work and today stated he will drag it all as slow as he can and dont expect to resolve it soon . his final words were " ive been in business for over 20yrs i know people like you , take me to court i will drag it out as long as possible and i hope you loose every penny"

has anyone else had a similar situation ? what else can we do , is going to the press and posting on every review site worth it? or is it best to hold off. i have no idea where to turn i cant afford a legal battle , we gave him every penny for he car and are now spending out on insurance for a car we cant drive :|

Shelly baker xx

sorry it became so long , thank you if you got to the end.

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I assume that Consumer Direct told youi that any fault which becomes apparent within the first 6 months of ownership is assumed to be present at the point of sale? Any warranty provided will not replace your statatoury rights in any event. Also it matters not that the seller reduced the price by £500 or £5000, the car still has to be fit for the purpose and of satisfactory quality.

Your actions should be; 1) Write to the seller informing him of the fault(s) and offer him the opportunity to rectify (he has that right under SOGA). Even if you have asked him verbally, you need to also ask in writing. 2) If he refuses or is unable to, then you can formally reject the vehicle and ask for a full refund as you have only had the car a very short while. If you do the latter, the car must not be used following rejection.

All correspondence must be in writing and sent by recorded delivery. If the car is subject to finance (HP agreement) then copies should also be sent to the finance co as they could also be liable.

If both 1 + 2 avenues become exhausted, you then send a Final letter Before Action stating that if the seller fails to deliver within a set time (normally 7 to 14 days), you will take the matter to court in which case you will be claiming all costs plus interest.

Please keep us up-dated and good luck.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi Shelly, I'm a car dealer and stories like this really annoy me - it's people like that who give the trade a bad name. I agree with the above - under the sale of goods act, vehicles, or anything else for that matter must be as described, fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. Unless it was expressly sold as scrap, or spares with a known fault, it is perfectly reasonable to expect to be able to drive it! Follow Sailor Sam's instructions, and you will get a result, as long as he's around long enough to take to court. ( It's not uncommon for people like this to close down a company and re-open under another name almost overnight, although from his website he looks a bit too well-established for that). It may also be worth bringing it to the attention of your local Trading Standards, they may be aware of him already, and can often be very useful in cases like this. Chances are he's calling your bluff when talking about court action, and will back-track very quickly when he realises you're serious.

Obviously, it's very difficult to diagnose mechanical issues on a forum, but the gearbox issue sounds very much like a linkage to me - very minor, at worst it's a clutch or master cylinder - unlikely to be a gearbox. What he's up to is trying to get you to agree to 50%, get the work done at cost, then double the bill, hence not putting his hand in his own pocket at all! Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get a result!

Hi Shelley,My partner bought a truck from Yate clean car and van centre, at the beginning of April, he was told the same as you, if I knock 'x' amount off you wont get a warranty.Anyhow, my partners had to get the brakes fixed as they were unsafe, the power steering failed a couple of weeks later, he's paid for them himself, as he thought well I don't have a warranty, and I need the truck for work. Last week the engine completely seized up!!!!! The garage has told him he'll need a new engine at the cost of £2000+!!! All this in around 3 months!My partner has spoken to the man at Yate clean car and van centre who - as you've already mentioned - is a nasty bit of work, he told my partner that he wasn't going to do anything about it and he actually slammed the phone down on my partner! We are now going to put everything in writing.My partner has contacted the consumer rights agency and they've told him he has a good case against Yate clean car and van centre, I was wondering if your case was ever resolved and if so how long it took?I look forward to hearing from you or indeed from anyone else who's had problems with this garage.Ann

sounds like both of you should report him to trading standards and get them to investigate as well as proceeding woth your claims